Ozie MapMerge

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Ozie MapMerge

Post by binns1012 » 29 July 04 11:32 pm

Hi has anyone tried the Oziexplorer MapMerge program ? available on the Ozie web page
regards Tony

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 16 August 04 3:21 pm

Hmm. I had never noticed that program before. I am downloading now so I can take it for a spin.

Ex Nihil

OzieExplorer Mapmerge

Post by Ex Nihil » 30 August 04 11:47 am

Yes. I have used it. I used it to merge a mosaic of scanned 1:100,000 topos around the NT and much to my surprise it worked perfectly first time and I'm not real technical. It took a long time to compute it though, I run 2.4GHz and I wouldn't want to do it much slower, I suspect it uses a lot of memory too. I can only scan bits of map up to A3 so this is a godsend. All my scanned maps were identical projection & datum, I am not sure what happens when they are different, suspect it would cope. Make sure there are no extraneous bits of map in the picture such as ticklines because where maps overlap one comes to the front by default and I don't know if you can control for that.
OzieExplorer is great, GSAK is great the two cover all my geocaching needs.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 30 August 04 2:46 pm

I have v1.04 (beta). It seems to still have a few problems. It gave my some cryptic errors when I tried to merge some small PNG maps.

Ex Nihil

Post by Ex Nihil » 30 August 04 4:17 pm

Actually, I lied, on reflection it didn't work perfectly first time. The first couple of times it crashed. The trick was to change the default pixels per metre setting for which there is no real help. For good resolution on 1:100,000 topos I ended up resetting to 15; I don't know if that is right but it works and the merged maps look the same as the scanned. Also my machine starts running low on resources just looking at the thumbnails, can't imagine why, fixed this by moving maps of interest into a seperate folder but have to relocate the map files with the images. Images used were TIFs scanned originally at 200dpi. I have V1.00.

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

map merge

Post by binns1012 » 30 August 04 5:50 pm

Hi I have used it successfuly the pixel thing is the clue , I have my maps in ozf2 format and the average pixel for them is between 6 and 8 . I put 4 fairly large local 1:50,000 Topo's together and it came out great
regards Tony

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 09 September 04 9:59 am

I gace it a whirl last night.

I merged the Sydney street directory level maps into one huge map. Originally they were at a rez of 1.94mtrs per pixel, first run which took 90 minutes I did at 5mtrs per pixel and it made a 18meg file.

Decided to do it again at 2mtrs per pixel and left it running over night, 66meg file and 8 and a half hours to generate, not looked at it yet, my home pc is still uploading it to this pc here.

But, I did look at the first one I generated and it looked fine, a couple of weird map boundry problems, but they may have existed on the original maps anyways.

Don't remember what speed pc I got at home, but I do have 1.5gig of ram in that and this one so that probably helps.

Not tried it with toppo maps as yet, wonder how it will treat the extra white space around the borders. I may do a simple 4 map test here today and see what happens.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 09 September 04 10:42 am

Well, I just tried to load that big map and it refuses to load it. Oh well.

Ex Nihil

Post by Ex Nihil » 09 September 04 10:44 am

Unless you are very lucky some of the white spaces will come in front of the overlapping map behind and obliterate it. You have to cut the white spaces and ticklines off in a picture editor before you merge. I don't know what controls which overlap comes to the front, an order button like in MS Word drawing toolbar would be useful. I need the overlap because I can't scan anything that acurately and gaps are a much worse problem. If you have a very large map after merging you may find that you need the tickline data inside the map, again that is easy to fix by writing the data inside the map itself using your picture editor prior to merging, or better still transfer the tickline data onto the central Easting and Northing on each map scan so they can't be overlaid. If anyone ends up with a compete, merged Sydney streetmap I'd like it.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 09 September 04 1:34 pm

Has anyone had any luck with generating an output map using UTM? I can only seem to get a lat/long output map to work, which is kind of annoying when my input maps are UTM.

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

re mapmerge

Post by binns1012 » 09 September 04 7:03 pm

Hi It worked ok for me in UTM and the trick with the margins around the maps is to move the corner markers into the corner of the maps and then you dont get the white around the outside
regards Tony

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 13 September 04 9:57 am

Hmm. If I try to create a UTM map the same as my input maps (zone 55, approx 2m/pixel) it says there are approx 12 million rows to do, each row taking about 1/2 a second. (The maps are not huge.)

Creating the same map in lat/long took about 10 mins in total.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 13 September 04 10:04 am

Hmm. Works much better if the source map is ozf2, rather than PNG.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 14 September 04 9:19 am

It seems that this was a bug, which has now been fixed. The fixed version has the same version number (1.04) as the version that had this bug, so if you get this problem download a new copy of Map Merge.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 14 September 04 10:12 am

I generated that monster map of Sydney again overnight, 9 and a half hours and now it loads fine here on this PC. 77meg file.