Syncing Palm to PC via BluTooth

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Syncing Palm to PC via BluTooth

Post by Webguy » 17 June 10 12:15 am

OMG - so SLOW!!!

Webguy

Re: Syncing Palm to PC via BluTooth

Post by Webguy » 17 June 10 12:52 am

Damn, I can't live with this, 63 minutes to sync the palm. And, because I don't have much room left on the T3, I need to sync twice to get all of NSW into the damn thing, only used to take a few minutes via USB. Sadly, USB asint supported under 64bit OS. Pffft

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 June 10 12:56 am

Why not use Network Sync over wi-fi?
It's what I always used rather than USB and it was just about as fast.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 17 June 10 9:42 am

Sadly, no WiFi on the T3 Palm.

I'll either have to install the virtual XP and do it that way, or, start to put the cachemate upload files onto the memory card.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 17 June 10 11:35 pm

Time to get that girly iPhone webby. :wink:

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 18 June 10 10:17 am

You can't proove a thing!

Besides, I'm not convinced at how good caching software is on that platform, I love cachemate, I don't need it to show me how to find the cache. I want a robust database like cachemate that keeps my history, gives me the info, is easy to use.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 18 June 10 2:23 pm

Webguy wrote:Besides, I'm not convinced at how good caching software is on that platform, I love cachemate, I don't need it to show me how to find the cache. I want a robust database like cachemate that keeps my history, gives me the info, is easy to use.
I used to have a version of Cachemate on my very old Tungsten T. Liked it a lot, but it had some limitations, e.g., with images in cache descriptions and it would drop the ends off long descriptions as well. When I upgraded to the iPhone I went with Geosphere, which I really like. It runs off-line, if you want (and I usually do), provided you have filled it with data. It will provide (most of) the images in the cache description, will link to google maps (if you want, bearing in mind that this uses up data in your plan), provides a nice clear summary page, allows you to put the caches into groups, will let you record data for multis on the cache description page (I don't think there is any easy way of doing this; there wasn't in Cachemate), gives you a notes page where you can record notes for logs ready for upload, and other stuff as well ... and, if you don't have your gps you can use the iPhone (it's just not as good as a dedicated gps in my opinion, however, although other people are quite happy with its performance). One of the things to bear in mind is that you need to check how it transfers PQ files. This is not straightforward (because file transfer on the iPhone isn't (i.e., it's not Geosphere's fault)); my solution is to put my PQ files onto my own website and download them from there and this works easily. I haven't checked to see if GC.com's new PQ-by-download approach will let you grab your PQ off the GC.com server from Geosphere on your iPhone (I haven't had cause to try it yet; someone else may have info, and/or better ways of doing things). What it won't do (as far as I can tell) and which I used to love on Cachemate, is "find nearest" for a given cache. Apologies for the half-knowledgeable babble; I am sure there are other folk who know more about its strengths and how it works.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 18 June 10 4:14 pm

Yeah the iPhone seems like a good tool, but a friend once told me not to get it because it's a girly phone.

Then again he sounded like my friend Steve.

Last edited by The Spindoctors on 18 June 10 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 18 June 10 5:01 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:Yeah the iPhone seems like a good tool, but a friend once told me not to get it because it's a girly phone.
The white one is girly. Get a black one. :)

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 18 June 10 7:56 pm

After more than a decade of Palms (my first was a 3COM Pilot 1000 that I soldered 512k of RAM into), I decided that smartphones had finally caught up to the PDA functionality and bought myself a Nexus One (Googlephone), running Android.

Rather like an iPhone except open and not subject to Apple's draconian edicts on what I'm allowed to run on "their" phone.

However, back OT: would you like a WiFi SD card for your T3? I found my old one that I put in a drawer when I got my first TX. Check it, but I think it works in a T3...
You want it, it's yours. Just PM me a snail-mail address.