Any Android Owners?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Any Android Owners?

Post by CraigRat » 16 May 10 9:44 pm

Anyone out there using an Android handset or device?

Given Android handsets are now outselling all but Blackberry devices there will be a lot more people with these in the near future.(source)

I'm interested in who is using what as far as caching apps for the platform.

Tell us what you are using and what apps you've played with so far.

For those with a handset, heres a list of the ever growing list of caching based apps in the Market: http://www.cyrket.com/search?q=geocaching

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Re: Any Android Owners?

Post by CraigRat » 16 May 10 9:49 pm

for me:
I own a G1 (now a expensive brick due to me being too clever with it) and a shiny new HTC Desire.

So far I've mainly played with GeoBeagle and GeoHunter, CacheMate

I've been liaising with the Developers of GeoHunter and GeoBeagle and both of those applications now can take GCA GPX files without the need to go thru GSAK or whatever, and both teams have been REAL responsive to any change requests.
(GeoHunter is based off GeoBeagle, both are worth a look)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 May 10 12:12 am

I got myself a Googlephone (Nexus One) and have c:geo and geobeagle loaded, as well as a beta version of another Geocaching program that I can't talk about, even though there's a well-known iPhone version of it already! :-#

On my "geocaching and geo stuff" page, I also have Google Earth, Just GPS, CoPilot Live (bought and paid for) and a few others.

One that really tickled my sense of how technology has progressed is a Sodoku solver. I always had one on my Palm, and it was quite friendly. Tell it how big the puzzle was and tap on the known squares, tap the number on a keypad, then eventually hit "solve"
On the Nexus, though, all you do is point the camera at the puzzle, be it in a book, on the PC screen OR IN A CACHE, and it captures it, figures out what the numbers are (and lets you correct them if required) and then solves it!

I also bought a BASIC language interpreter, for all those miscellaneous puzzle solving bits that are hard work to do in the field otherwise. Vignere codes, the whole "A=1, B=2, add til you get one digit" things, etc.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 17 May 10 2:33 pm

Thanks CraigRat, I just got a HTC HD2 (and I think that is an Android phone :?: ) and have not yet started exploring properly what I can do with it (I still can't seem to get MMS to show ](*,) )

I will have a look at you links here and see if I can make it work - it is soooooo much different from what I have been used to in a phone before :-k

Team 3BE~NG

Post by Team 3BE~NG » 17 May 10 3:29 pm

Hi Craig, I use a DROID and I love it for geocaching. I use c:geo and find that one really good, but it crashes a bit.
I've emailed carnero (the developer) a few times and he's very helpful and accommodating. I'm the one responsible
for getting the altitude added to it and then fixed for when you go over 1000 metres. He's at 200 odd metres and
didn't realise the altitude rolled over to eg: 2.04 kms when you are at 2045 metres. I also got him to add the GC
code, name of the cache and co-ordinates all on one screen so I only have to take one photo of the screen when
I'm at a cache so I know which caches I did later when I get home and upload the photos off my camera.
c:geo is great for caching on the fly, on long road trips for instance, as you don't have to have any pocket queries
pre-loaded, plus it's always up to date. The only problem is if you get into an area with no phone service, but that's
only happened to me once for about 2 hours. Overall, it's a great app and gets better with each new update.

I've also used geobeagle like everybody else. That's pretty good, but takes about 20 minutes to index 8000 caches.
I've used geodroid and geooh as well. Not so impressed with those two. The Google maps view in satellite mode is
very handy when trying to figure out how to approach some caches. ie: a cache on the other side of a creek and
you can't work out exactly how to get around and get to GZ!

I've tested the DROID at a calibration station (GC946E) and found the co-ordinates to be dead on, so I'm impressed
with its accuracy as well. I agree with you, I'm sure a lot more people will be caching with Android devices soon.
Like PBL I joined the beta-testers of another app but I haven't had much of a chance to test that one out yet.
Cheers, Mal

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 May 10 3:52 pm

jusojara wrote:Thanks CraigRat, I just got a HTC HD2 (and I think that is an Android phone :?: )
Nope, Windows Mobile.

Mind you, they all look pretty alike these days and I get a lot of people commenting on my iPhone. (My usual response is "iPhone? How last year!")

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 17 May 10 7:54 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
jusojara wrote:Thanks CraigRat, I just got a HTC HD2 (and I think that is an Android phone :?: )
Nope, Windows Mobile.
Thanks PBL, are there any Geocaching Apps for these? I looked at Trimble's and it doesn't list the HTC's.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 28 May 10 12:15 pm

Seems Garmin have seen the light:
http://www.mobilestopic.com/reviews/garmin/a10.html

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 28 May 10 5:57 pm

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Droid perhaps Desire or Legend or Wildfire.. choices. choices

but good to here about garmin , So I assume we will see a Garmin Andriod app we can use on any droid phone, as I'm looking for a mapping app which operates offline (like Tomtom) that I can upload a POI file (caches), any out there?

Q2. any recommendations on which HTC Android?

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 May 10 12:45 am

Whatever Droid you get, it'll be out of date by the time you get home!

The Nexus One is starting to look just a little last-gen, but it'll be the first with OS updates for awhile, and is still a very nice piece of tech.

I use and quite like CoPilot for no-Internet navigation. It's not quite as nice as the TomTom I used on my Palm, but part of that is probably familiarity. THe maps seem up to date (although I haven't tried them in any suburbs that Google Maps shows as bare ground but Streetview shows as houses!) and the choice of voices is wide enough.

I do like the speed of getting a fix using AGPS!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 29 May 10 8:12 am

If Garmin are making a droid phone perhaps there app. would make a better fit and allow you to get more recent maps etc..

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 30 May 10 12:50 am

jusojara wrote:
Papa Bear_Left wrote:
Nope, Windows Mobile.
Thanks PBL, are there any Geocaching Apps for these? I looked at Trimble's and it doesn't list the HTC's.
Cachemate and CacheBox are the best two for WinMob.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 30 May 10 1:34 am

Spindoc Bob wrote:
jusojara wrote:
Cachemate and CacheBox are the best two for WinMob.
Thanks for the advice, Get my new toy (HTC HD2) on Wednesday.
Will give these a go. \:D/

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 11 June 10 3:09 pm

CraigRat wrote:for me:
I own a G1 (now a expensive brick due to me being too clever with it) and a shiny new HTC Desire.

So far I've mainly played with GeoBeagle and GeoHunter, CacheMate

I've been liaising with the Developers of GeoHunter and GeoBeagle and both of those applications now can take GCA GPX files without the need to go thru GSAK or whatever, and both teams have been REAL responsive to any change requests.
(GeoHunter is based off GeoBeagle, both are worth a look)
do you recommend any of these?
and #2 a good offline map application