Any Android Owners?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Any Android Owners?

Post by Indaweeds » 11 June 10 3:34 pm

Try c:geo for live access to GC.com. Works really well.

For offline maps you can use Maverick, Mapdroyd, or the Brut modded Google Maps. All have different strengths depending on what you want them for.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 11 June 10 4:13 pm

mtrax wrote:do you recommend any of these?
and #2 a good offline map application
Geohunter is getting VERY good and is free and works with GCA stuff (so does GeoBeagle, but I perfer Geohunter personally)
c:geo looks ok for GC caches, but I suspect it'll get blocked at some stage as it appears to work by methods that GC don't exactly like.

I've done a poorly written writeup of GeoHunter here: AndroidCaching
I'll be reviewing other apps and stuff the site soon, just gotta fix up a few bits and bobs first.

Offline maps are a different matter, theres not a heap of them out there for cheap.
I've played with MapDroyd but I cant say I'd reccomend it. I used Maverick back on my G1 but haven't loaded it on the Desire yet. It was a good app, might be worth a look.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 11 June 10 6:11 pm

Geohunter does look very good. I'll have to give it a try. Nice write-up CraigRat...I've bookmarked your site now too :)

Have you tried the modified Google Maps Navigation (Brut) yet? It's working well now, and can be installed on an un-rooted phone.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 11 June 10 6:38 pm

Indaweeds wrote:Geohunter does look very good. I'll have to give it a try. Nice write-up CraigRat...I've bookmarked your site now too :)
Well, I'd better get it all working properly then! :shock:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 11 June 10 7:52 pm

Indaweeds wrote:Geohunter does look very good. I'll have to give it a try. Nice write-up CraigRat...I've bookmarked your site now too :)

Have you tried the modified Google Maps Navigation (Brut) yet? It's working well now, and can be installed on an un-rooted phone.
Just installed it.... absolutely brilliant.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 11 June 10 8:39 pm

Yep...it is nice!

If you haven't discovered it yet, you can go in to "Brut Settings" and enable caching of map tiles, so you still have navigation available even if you're out of mobile range.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 14 June 10 7:59 pm

Indaweeds wrote:Try c:geo for live access to GC.com. Works really well.

For offline maps you can use Maverick, Mapdroyd, or the Brut modded Google Maps. All have different strengths depending on what you want them for.
Do any of these mapping apps support geocaching POIs?
Brut mod seems like hard work to set that up for every day use
I was looking at Co-pilot for Android but didn't see any obvious support in GSAK, but primary use would be for standard street nav. with voice directions otherwise I would just use my Dakota 20.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 14 June 10 10:19 pm

mtrax wrote: Brut mod seems like hard work to set that up for every day use
I was looking at Co-pilot for Android but didn't see any obvious support in GSAK, but primary use would be for standard street nav. with voice directions otherwise I would just use my Dakota 20.
Brut maps couldn't be easier to use. You can even use voice input if you like. Just press the "search" button then say "Navigate to xxxxx", and off it goes. Installation is as simple as downloading a .apk file from XDA forums and running it on the phone.

you can search for a cache with c:geo, then select "Navigate" -> "Turn by Turn" and it will launch Google Navigation (Brut) to give you voice guided turn by turn to the cache.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 26 June 10 5:54 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
jusojara wrote:Thanks CraigRat, I just got a HTC HD2 (and I think that is an Android phone :?: )
Nope, Windows Mobile.
Looks like you might be able to load android on it soon!: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/andr ... getting-c/

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 July 10 2:09 am

Just as an aside, I've had the latest Android version on my Nexus One for the last week (FroYo, v2.2) and it's very nice.

The ability to share the 3G connection is the feature I was most anticipating, and you can either do it via USB or set it up as a WiFi hotspot for up to eight connections. Very handy for events and group excursions with multiple non-3G-connected laptops!

The ability to run apps directly off the uSD card frees up a lot of space (which was already expanded in this version anyway) and the speed difference is noticeable but not often relevant (most things were fast enough to not be an issue.)

The official release is only for Nexus Ones at the moment, but there's more and more unofficial releases for other 'Droid phones appearing, and most seem quite stable.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 07 July 10 8:06 am

The Apps2SD function is the one thing I really need, my Desire is chock-a-block right now.

Waiting for the official build though as I dont want this phone to suffer the fate of my old G1 (may it rest in peace)

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 02 August 10 5:44 pm

My Garmin A10 is on its way to me now; can't wait to play with it!

kieran

Post by kieran » 08 August 10 12:55 am

I've got a lovely new X10, and c:geo is just heaven (despite the crashes).

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 08 August 10 10:30 am

just come back from a trip and loved the android tethering feature where I just used phone as a internet connection via 3G, which meant I could grab another PQ en-route to a new area while on the road.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 08 August 10 12:25 pm

mtrax wrote:just come back from a trip and loved the android tethering feature where I just used phone as a internet connection via 3G, which meant I could grab another PQ en-route to a new area while on the road.
When we had a phone outage (someone dug through a Telstra cable nearby), I had the nerdy joy of plugging in the Nexus and turning on the wi-fi hotspot so that both our computers could use the 3G connection to at least grab emails while we were offline.

We're in a lousy area for cellphone signal (what we laughingly call "the hills" here in Perth) so it was painfully slow, but still better than nothing and much easier than plugging into USB on each computer in turn.