Dakota 20 - hints not in cache notes

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Dakota 20 - hints not in cache notes

Post by Ozibags » 16 May 10 11:09 am

I've just got myself a Dakota 20 and everything works well except - the cache notes do not have the cache hints. It shows all the other info including logs OK. I'm downloading caches onto the Dakota from GSAK using GPS button and 'send waypoints to GPS' option.

Not sure if I haven't setup the GPS properly or if I'm not downloading the caches properly (for example do I need to use a macro to download to the Dakota. If so which macro??) :?

Help please.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Dakota 20 - hints not in cache notes

Post by Indaweeds » 16 May 10 12:42 pm

You don't need to use a macro, but I personally use the Colorado Export Macro (it works for Dakota too) as it gives me more control over what caches are sent to the GPS.

To view hints, you need to go back to the main menu, then press the "Geocaches" button, then select "View Hints". If you use the "Geocaching Active" dashboard, the little groundspeak icon on the right of the dashboard is a shortcut to the same menu.

JustinCBR
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by JustinCBR » 16 May 10 2:20 pm

They are there, you just need to escape back to the main or cache menu (the same screen where you can log a cache as found/DNF etc). Scroll down and you'll find a show hints button (I think you have to have selected 'go' for the cache first). I assume that the hints aren't shown on the description page because they are encrypted and you wouldn't want to accidentally read them if they were there. I figured this out via trial and error - the manual is hopeless.

Ozibags

Post by Ozibags » 16 May 10 8:13 pm

JustinCBR wrote:They are there, you just need to escape back to the main or cache menu (the same screen where you can log a cache as found/DNF etc). Scroll down and you'll find a show hints button (I think you have to have selected 'go' for the cache first). I assume that the hints aren't shown on the description page because they are encrypted and you wouldn't want to accidentally read them if they were there. I figured this out via trial and error - the manual is hopeless.
Ahaaa! That's it. Thanks JustinCBR. What I didn't realize is that I had to hit the "go" button to put the Dakota into 'navigate to the cache' mode - before the hints button shows.

I'll also keep in mind the macro option for GSAK thanks Indaweeds.