Google Earth vs Google Maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Google Earth vs Google Maps

Post by gmj3191 » 14 April 10 3:48 pm

I may be the only one in the world interested in this, but I do find it interesting
that with Google Earth you can zoom in using very small steps and achieve a much a closer look than you can with Google Maps Satellite view.
With Google Maps you zoom in using steps in the scale, and reach a certain point where you get the
"Sorry, we don't have imagery at this zoom level" message.

With Google Earth you can just zoom in until the image blurs out, but you still an image.

Perhaps it's a load management throttle in Google Maps, which would probably get a lot more traffic than Google Earth.

I noticed this looking at the platform used by the Standard Gauge line at Wangaratta Railway Station.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Re: Google Earth vs Google Maps

Post by setsujoku » 14 April 10 4:28 pm

Try nearmap, you will get even better quality when you zoom in really close, and you can change the dates/years that you want to view, rather than just being stuck with the latest satellite image. :D

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 14 April 10 5:30 pm

When google maps/earth first started being used for useful things I was on a slow internet connection so always preferred google earth for the speed of loading maps. The combination of low res maps at higher altitude with the maps being cached on your hard drive and only having to download new data when you zoomed in made it a winner for me.
Even now with an ADSL2+ connection, the lag with map refresh when scrolling in google maps is frustrating.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 14 April 10 5:37 pm

Yes, I'm familiar with nearmap, but that was not my point.
It's all about the same data being presented differently by Google Maps and Goggle Earth.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 April 10 6:03 pm

Just for the record, in the later versions of google earth you can also view historical images. But I do like the look of nearmap as well - haven't checked the coord accuracy or datum yet though.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 April 10 6:38 pm

richary wrote:Just for the record, in the later versions of google earth you can also view historical images. But I do like the look of nearmap as well - haven't checked the coord accuracy or datum yet though.
I've found the high res maps better aligned than google maps are in most instances.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 14 April 10 6:49 pm

I've checked a few caches and Nearmaps seems spot on but doesn't actually place a pointer, just centres it on the target.