Nearmap Images

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
phillipsart

Re: Nearmap Images

Post by phillipsart » 04 May 10 2:07 pm

Actually let me rephrase that, I wouldn't say it works great but it does work. Redraw rate is a problem particularly if your using the Custom Maps for driving. But bushwalking and geocaching it works fine so long the file size is not to large.

Shael6636
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Shael6636 » 07 May 10 11:29 am

phillipsart wrote:Actually let me rephrase that, I wouldn't say it works great but it does work. Redraw rate is a problem particularly if your using the Custom Maps for driving. But bushwalking and geocaching it works fine so long the file size is not to large.
What is the quality like on zooming? as I created a test map using google maps and for some reason the zoom quality is terrible and pizelated.

phillipsart

Post by phillipsart » 07 May 10 11:41 am

I had no such problem. You must have used an image quality to low.

What procedure did you use?

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 07 May 10 11:58 am

phillipsart wrote:I had no such problem. You must have used an image quality to low.

What procedure did you use?
Used Mobile Atlas Crreator.
-> Selected Google Maps
-> Selected Zoom Levels
-> Created the layer
-> Selected the Format for out put (KMZ)
-> Created the atlas.

I am trying again with playing with the custom tile settings to see how that works. I suppose its all about trial an error.

phillipsart

Post by phillipsart » 07 May 10 12:38 pm

What tile number you selected?

You probably didn't select enough tiles in the setting at the left of Mobile Atlas Creator.

I actually used a different procedure to what you have used. I don't believe I have ever used Mobile Atlas Creator to create the custom maps for my Oregon.

I am using Mobile Atlas Creator now for maps onto my new Twonav Sportiva GPS unit. I created a oziexplorer map file and than using software that comes with the Twonav Sportiva I converted this map to the required format for my Sportiva.

There could be a limitation on Mobile Altas Creator creating the required format for Custom Maps on a Oregon, also Google earth is not going to give you the best quality, try to use Nearmap if you can. Problem with Nearmap is that it's not covering all of Australia. It's mosty covering the capital cities.

The best success I had with Custom Maps on my Oregon was to capture screen shots of maps on my computer and than using a image editor save as a Jpeg file and use Google earth to calibrate the map and create the required .kmz file in Google earth.

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 07 May 10 1:10 pm

Well the current test so far is going fairly well.

I have definately selected enough tiles this time. Im using google Maps as a base test as I know their map layouts very well so i can see quickly if I have done something wrong.

One very good thing about using the Mobile Atlas Creator is you can select the output directly as a garmin KMZ file. The 1st test was overlayed beautifully over the Garmin Maps and was perfectly aligned so ther was no need to aling the maps in google earth.

I will have to see how the next test goes before I try using near maps. I would rather get rid of any kinks in the process (user error) before I start downloading a huge amount of tiles.

phillipsart

Post by phillipsart » 07 May 10 1:18 pm

Let me know the outcome.

Do you know how to capture screen shots of the Garmin?

There is a menu you can set to capture screenshots on the Garmin Oregon.

JustinCBR
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by JustinCBR » 13 May 10 3:17 am

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've installed Mobile Atlas (v1.7) and am using BaseCamp with my Dakota20. I'm trying to create a map of the inner northern suburbs of Canberra.

In Mobile Atlas I have a grid zoom of 15, have mapsource:NearMapAustralia; Zoom level 13 (which it tells me is 2 tiles); Atlas format is KMZ; and the KMZ files are generated.

However, when I try and import them into Basecamp I get a meaningless error that ' "c:\path\mapname.kmz" could not be imported'. Any suggestions?

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 22 May 10 11:20 pm

Hello

Try updating Basecamp to V 3.0.4 released May 20, 2010

It may fix the issue ..though havent had full play.

Cheers
Greg