Nokia E72 problems: can't log in to GC.com

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Nokia E72 problems: can't log in to GC.com

Post by Yurt » 04 April 10 5:49 pm

Just got a new Nokia E72 and I can't log in to GC. I get the log in screen, enter the details but then it continues as though I have not entered anything. I don't get a 'incorrect password' message. As a result I can't use the site for geocaching.

I think this is an issue with this phone. Some other sites are the same. If it is solved is there software like that for the iPhone that can be used for geocaching?

Thanks

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Re: Nokia E72 problems: can't log in to GC.com

Post by Map Monkey » 04 April 10 8:43 pm

Got cookies enabled?

mm

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 16 April 10 7:33 pm

Map Monkey wrote:Got cookies enabled?

mm
Arggh! Yes, I've enabled them and disabled them, changed browsers, done everything! The reason I haven't replied before now is that I've been on holidays and I have only had the phone. After starting this thread I haven't been able to log back into GCA even! I'm taking the phone in to have it checked next week. I may move up to the iPhone if this doesn't work properly.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 19 April 10 8:42 pm

Sorry, don't have the E72, I have the older E71, and damned if I can get email to work, it downloads the headers fine, soon as I tell it to retrieve a full message crash back to the phone every time.

I also had an app for keeping track of free wifi spots, that seems to of removed itself.

Cheers

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 20 April 10 6:30 pm

Webguy wrote:Sorry, don't have the E72, I have the older E71, and damned if I can get email to work, it downloads the headers fine, soon as I tell it to retrieve a full message crash back to the phone every time.

I also had an app for keeping track of free wifi spots, that seems to of removed itself.

Cheers
I've got email (Gmail) working fine but ANY website that requires a login doesn't work. It goes through the motions of logging in and if you enter an incorrect password it tells you but as soon as the next page opens the "You are not logged in" line appears in the corner.

I'm going to have to take it to Optus to have it looked at. I might upgrade to an iPhone instead.

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 30 May 10 5:49 pm

Yurt wrote: I've got email (Gmail) working fine but ANY website that requires a login doesn't work. It goes through the motions of logging in and if you enter an incorrect password it tells you but as soon as the next page opens the "You are not logged in" line appears in the corner.

I'm going to have to take it to Optus to have it looked at. I might upgrade to an iPhone instead.
Upgrade?

I've got the E71 and have no issues logging on to GC.com or GCA.com. Have you tried loading Opera? I rarely use the gc.com website in favour of loading my pocket queries into SmartGPX for offline access then using Trimble Geocache Navigator for online access.
Last edited by noikmeister on 30 May 10 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 30 May 10 6:33 pm

Can you load another web browser on to the phone at all?

It sounds like a cookie related problem to me if it's across so many sites.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 31 May 10 12:56 pm

CraigRat wrote:Can you load another web browser on to the phone at all?

It sounds like a cookie related problem to me if it's across so many sites.
You know for no apparent reason it started working. The only thing I changed was my wireless connection. I was using "Optus Zoo" and changed to "Optus Internet". Why that would make a difference I have no idea.

At least it forced me to load Opera on the phone which works like a charm compared with IE. Can't change the default browser it seems though.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 31 May 10 1:16 pm

Yurt wrote:You know for no apparent reason it started working. The only thing I changed was my wireless connection. I was using "Optus Zoo" and changed to "Optus Internet". Why that would make a difference I have no idea.
Proxies! ](*,)

I had the same problem when accessing caches using Trimble's Geocache Navigator. Eventually the Trimble support guys mentioned something about access points and the proxies they use and something went :idea: in my head. I switched from using Optus Zoo to Optus Internet and it started working again.

Apparently the proxy in the Optus Zoo access point can't handle some redirects :?: whereas the Optus Internet one can.

In the meantime (around 6 months of pain :stabby ) I found SmartGPX and Trekbuddy for my E66 and GSAK to feed them GPX files and now I'm in paperless caching nirvana! I only use Trimble's Geocache Navigator or Geocaching Live very rarely now.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 31 May 10 3:45 pm

Trigg-A-Nomics wrote:
Yurt wrote:You know for no apparent reason it started working. The only thing I changed was my wireless connection. I was using "Optus Zoo" and changed to "Optus Internet". Why that would make a difference I have no idea.
Proxies! ](*,)

I had the same problem when accessing caches using Trimble's Geocache Navigator. Eventually the Trimble support guys mentioned something about access points and the proxies they use and something went :idea: in my head. I switched from using Optus Zoo to Optus Internet and it started working again.

Apparently the proxy in the Optus Zoo access point can't handle some redirects :?: whereas the Optus Internet one can.

In the meantime (around 6 months of pain :stabby ) I found SmartGPX and Trekbuddy for my E66 and GSAK to feed them GPX files and now I'm in paperless caching nirvana! I only use Trimble's Geocache Navigator or Geocaching Live very rarely now.
I didn't know there was a difference between the two Optus access points or I assumed that "Optus Internet" was when it was within range of my home wireless network.

Does the Trimble program exist for E72? Last I looked it was only E60-types.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 31 May 10 4:01 pm

Yurt wrote: I didn't know there was a difference between the two Optus access points or I assumed that "Optus Internet" was when it was within range of my home wireless network.

you can always go to http://getgn.com/paypal and try installing it. I run it on my E71 and AFAIK the E72 just has a faster CPU and the new 5-way navikey. It works well for mine. Found my first 130 caches with just it.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 31 May 10 4:25 pm

norkmeister wrote:
Yurt wrote: I didn't know there was a difference between the two Optus access points or I assumed that "Optus Internet" was when it was within range of my home wireless network.

you can always go to http://getgn.com/paypal and try installing it. I run it on my E71 and AFAIK the E72 just has a faster CPU and the new 5-way navikey. It works well for mine. Found my first 130 caches with just it.
Ovi Store has the program but says it's not for E72. Costs $A33 which is a bit steeper than the iPhone app, but then the iPhone's a bit steeper too. I'll check out the link. Thanks.

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 31 May 10 4:33 pm

Yurt wrote: Ovi Store has the program but says it's not for E72. Costs $A33 which is a bit steeper than the iPhone app, but then the iPhone's a bit steeper too. I'll check out the link. Thanks.
Last time it was like that for me I emailed them and they set me up a trial for 2 weeks to make sure it worked and then paid them directly via paypal since the Ovi store link for the phone wasn't working. There were pretty cool about it because the Ovi store didn't have their product. Now that it is available via Ovi they might not be too helpful. The email address is support@trimbleoutdoors.com

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 09 June 10 12:36 pm

I tried to put that program onto the E72 but I got the warning "Some components not found!" or words to that effect and it stopped.
I wonder if they are going to bother developing Trimble for this phone.

Seem to be dragged inexorably towards the dark side...

iPhone....

noooooooooo!!!!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 09 June 10 12:43 pm

At least get an Android based phone, then you won't become "one of them"