Open OSM Images in Mapsource

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Open OSM Images in Mapsource

Post by ian-and-penny » 26 March 10 12:09 pm

How can I import/open OSM images (from http://www.osmaustralia.org/maps.php) into Mapsource?

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Open OSM Images in Mapsource

Post by Indaweeds » 26 March 10 1:11 pm

Easiest way is to download the mapsource version (.exe) from here:

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 26 March 10 1:35 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:How can I import/open OSM images (from http://www.osmaustralia.org/maps.php) into Mapsource?
MapSetToolKit does the job
Start MapSetToolKit
Mapsource automatically makes the registry changes for you. See this link for the MapSetToolkit v1.40:
http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/home (Thanks to Cypherman for simplifying this process)
Note: Numbering of Steps purposely starts with Step 5 to correspond with other MapSetToolKit Instructions used
when making Custom Topo Maps.
5. Open MapSetToolkit 1.40. Click on “Select IMG files” and click on folder C: > Garmin > Custom.
6. Select your .img file or files and click “Add”.
7. In “Create MAPSET” Box:
A. For “Mapset Directory” click on “…” and select the folder C: > Garmin > Custom.
B. Enter a name in the “Mapset Name” field. (Spaces between characters is allowed) (This is what will
show up in Mapsource in the “Select a Product” – such as CN, Topo, Custom Maps, etc.)
C. For “Family ID” enter a number between (1-65535). Make sure this number is not being used in any
other Families ID. (Look at “Uninstall Mapset” box and verify your FID number is not used.)
(After you have entered a FID number the “Product Code” is over written with 1.)
D. In “Product Code” enter a number between (1-9999). Make sure this number is not being used in
any other Mapset Product codes.
E. In “Map version” enter your version such as “1.00”.
F. In “Copyright info” type “Text”. This field does not display on GPSr but this field is displayed in
Mapsource when displaying Mapsource Product information.
(If you want to use a .TYP file or registered your MapSet in families, continue to Step G, otherwise go to
Step 8.)
G. For “TYP files”, if you have a custom type definition (.TYP file), then click on “…” and select your file.
(You will only need to fill in this box if you created a .TYP file to customize lines, points, or polygons.) If
you select .txt file, MapSetToolKit will compile this file when you click on “START” button.
8. Check the “Install in Mapsource” box and check the “Blank overview maps” box ((this will prevent seeing a double
track (high resolution and low-resolution lines) when zoomed in close in Mapsource)).
9. In the “cgpsmapper” box click on “…”. Select cgpsmapper.exe program and click “Open”.
10. Click on “START”. Then box will pop up saying “Convert termined” and click “Ok”.
11. Verify your Mapset name and Code you assigned in Step 7-B & C are now in the “Uninstall Mapset” list box.
12. Now you can go to Mapsource and install them to your GPSr with .TYP file. You don’t need another program
to send your .TYP file to you GPSr if your “Product Code” and “FID” in your .TYP file is the same as in Steps
7-C & 9-A. Mapsource will send your .TYP file for you with your selected maps. If you used the same values
in your .TYP file and MapSetToolKit for “Product Code” and “FID”, Mapsource will send your maps and also your
.TYP file to your GPSr. (Ignore this step if not using a .TYP file.) NOTE: If you want to add a new map to your
existing Mapset you must first uninstall the existing Mapset using the MapSetToolKit, “Uninstall Mapset” list and
create the same Mapset name again.
END of MapSetToolKit
13. Open Mapsource, you should now see your mapset listed in MapSource along with your other Garmin maps in the
“Product” list.
14. Select (click) on your map in the Product list and the preview map will show up in the map area on your screen.
On the Mapsource Toolbar change your “Detail Settings” to “Highest” and zoom in to see your custom map.
You may have to zoom in to a Map Scale/Zoom Level of 2 miles or less before your map starts to display.
15. You should now be able to use the “Map Tool” to select your custom map/s for uploading and upload it with
your other maps such as U.S. Topo, City Navigator, and etc. maps.
These instructions were prepared by EAParks. Thanks to Groundspeak members GeoBobC, Bus36, and Cypherman
for their technical expertise. This process would not be possible without the time and dedication Cypherman has been
willing to share with fellow GPSers. Rev.8; 7-30-2008

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 26 March 10 2:15 pm

Thanks, but the above method doesn't work on my system. (Windoze 7)

I get a DOS box flash up and disappear quickly, followed by "Convert Failed" message box.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 26 March 10 2:55 pm

Use indaweeds method, after you tell what map you want it emails you a link and it has a mapsource version of the maps with a proper installer. Works like magic

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 26 March 10 8:18 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:Thanks, but the above method doesn't work on my system. (Windoze 7)

I get a DOS box flash up and disappear quickly, followed by "Convert Failed" message box.
You don't need to do half of what Geodes posted. Sorry Geodes. Here is a nice step by step on how to do it. It also includes pics. http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/show ... hp?t=14623

Indaweeds link is the easiest BUT the maps could be a month or more old. OSM Australia maps are made daily with the most up to date data.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 26 March 10 9:19 pm

Thanks, that process worked for me.

The other one was looking for a .typ file (which of course I didn't have).

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 03 November 10 1:36 pm

I recently started using new a GPS, an Oregon 550, but I didn't want to go and purchase City Navigator again to get a good map,
so I've set up OSM and I'm really pleased with the results.

One thing I can't get to work however, is to FIND an address or an intersection, as it asks for a state and OSM doesn't seem to support this.
It won't accept Vic, or Victoria, or VIC or VICTORIA or any other combination I can come up with.
I can get by because it will find City without the State being requested first, and then I can manoeuvre to the required address or location.
This can be messy if you don't know where the street is located.

Has anyone found a way around this which works better?

Once you have set up a waypoint to navigate to, it will navigate turn by turn just as City Navigator did, and in some ways it's better as the maps looks cleaner.

joffa1970

Post by joffa1970 » 05 November 10 10:01 am

I also have the Oregon 550.
I used the http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php version until just now. I tried the .img download from osm australia website, and yep. it is quicker and up to date. (roads and bike paths I added only a few weeks ago are there.) (I am a contributor to OSM) Extra roads and 4WD tracks in Terrick Terrick N.P. near Mitiamo and around Mitiamo.

I will do some comparisons, but as I usually just follow the front wheel on my treadly bike, finding street names hasn't been a problem. If I am in the car, Melways and vicroads directory and also Telstra NextG for road names is usually enough.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 26 November 10 9:01 pm

joffa1970 wrote:I also have the Oregon 550.
I used the http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php version until just now. I tried the .img download from osm australia website, and yep. it is quicker and up to date. (roads and bike paths I added only a few weeks ago are there.) (I am a contributor to OSM) Extra roads and 4WD tracks in Terrick Terrick N.P. near Mitiamo and around Mitiamo.

I will do some comparisons, but as I usually just follow the front wheel on my treadly bike, finding street names hasn't been a problem. If I am in the car, Melways and vicroads directory and also Telstra NextG for road names is usually enough.
I download the Mapsource version from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php then transfer it into my 550.
What I find with the Oregon is that if I search for an address, it asks for the State, but doesn't recognise any response I put in. It's as though the state is not included in the OSM maps, but the Oregon won't start a search until it knows what state you're looking in, but has no way to pass it to the OSM maps.

kittykittykitty
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by kittykittykitty » 27 November 10 8:26 am

We have been trying out the routable OSM Australia maps on our Oregon 550, a bit at home, but also in Sydney last week, and now in Adelaide. We have noticed that only one state (Tas!) seems to come up by default, but you are able to use the 'spell state/province' option. City search seems to work ok.. Generally the maps are reasonable, although we have seen some odd, wrong and poor choice routing options - easy enough to get around with some local knowledge. We have noticed that it will not route across state borders, there is the coastline colour issue.. And a lot of regional roads are not in the set yet..

Overall a good companion for Australian navigation.. We are little unsure about how the world OSM would go overseas when you are less at home with the roads..

Cheers.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 27 November 10 7:52 pm

kittykittykitty wrote:We have been trying out the routable OSM Australia maps on our Oregon 550, a bit at home, but also in Sydney last week, and now in Adelaide. We have noticed that only one state (Tas!) seems to come up by default, but you are able to use the 'spell state/province' option. City search seems to work ok.. Generally the maps are reasonable, although we have seen some odd, wrong and poor choice routing options - easy enough to get around with some local knowledge. We have noticed that it will not route across state borders, there is the coastline colour issue.. And a lot of regional roads are not in the set yet..

Overall a good companion for Australian navigation.. We are little unsure about how the world OSM would go overseas when you are less at home with the roads..

Cheers.
If you were wanting something mainly for road navigation and including overseas, I'd just get a Tom Tom.
The map updates are regular and free and it's just a lot more suited for roan navigation. They're also getting very cheap.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 27 November 10 9:03 pm

gmj3191 wrote: If you were wanting something mainly for road navigation and including overseas, I'd just get a Tom Tom.
The map updates are regular and free and it's just a lot more suited for roan navigation. They're also getting very cheap.
Aren't they just for the region you bought it in?
Why else would they be selling these:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/sel ... =355&M=815

mark_rattigan
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: m_ratt

Post by mark_rattigan » 27 November 10 9:09 pm

I'm quite sure TomTom updates aren't free, unless a subscription was included in the purchase - and then updates are only included for the period of the subscription (generally 1 year).

Included are generally only the maps for the area in which it was purchased, and other regions' maps can be purchased as Damo notes.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 28 November 10 9:50 am

mark_rattigan wrote:I'm quite sure TomTom updates aren't free, unless a subscription was included in the purchase - and then updates are only included for the period of the subscription (generally 1 year).

Included are generally only the maps for the area in which it was purchased, and other regions' maps can be purchased as Damo notes.
Oh ok, I thought they were free but I can check this as I have some friends who bought one twelve months ago and they are now living in Italy for a year.
They are learning Italian and it's a bit disconcerting riding around with them on the wrong side of the road heading for a roundabout with the Tom Tom "girl" giving directions in Italian :D