Can I download cache locations straight to my Nuvi 1390?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
BekahBug
100 or more tracks walked

Can I download cache locations straight to my Nuvi 1390?

Post by BekahBug » 02 March 10 1:28 pm

I have been usng GSAK to download caches directly to my Oregon 550, but I would like to be able to download them to my nuvi also so that I can see if there are any close by when I am driving. Does anybody know how I would do this?

Skippy

Re: Can I download cache locations straight to my Nuvi 1390?

Post by Skippy » 02 March 10 2:54 pm

Do you mean you want to add waypoints to the Nuvi or add all the cache descriptions as a GPX file
As a waypoint I find it easier to export a Mapsource file and then transfer them , if your wanting all the cache descriptions you will need to use the garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk macro

Tuena
6500 or more caches found

Post by Tuena » 02 March 10 5:10 pm

I download (via GSAK) caches to my wide screen NUVI using a program written by PilotSnipes. The web address is http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html

This program has now been superseded (see support/FAQ) however it still works fine.

I can download all the caches I'm interested in for Australia. You get all the info you need such as co-ords, name, description, hints, logs etc plus the NUVI will beep as you drive near a cache, even if it's not the one you were navigating to. :D

BekahBug

Post by BekahBug » 03 March 10 3:31 pm

Skippy wrote:Do you mean you want to add waypoints to the Nuvi or add all the cache descriptions as a GPX file
As a waypoint I find it easier to export a Mapsource file and then transfer them , if your wanting all the cache descriptions you will need to use the garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk macro
Since I have the Oregon also, I don't really need all the cache info, I would just like it to let me know if i am driving close to a cache.
Tuena wrote:I download (via GSAK) caches to my wide screen NUVI using a program written by PilotSnipes. The web address is http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html

This program has now been superseded (see support/FAQ) however it still works fine.

I can download all the caches I'm interested in for Australia. You get all the info you need such as co-ords, name, description, hints, logs etc plus the NUVI will beep as you drive near a cache, even if it's not the one you were navigating to. :D
Will this work with the 1390? it specifies Nuvi 2xx/3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx

*Yup - I'm a completely stupid when it comes to using a comp*

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 03 March 10 7:14 pm

BekahBug wrote:Will this work with the 1390? it specifies Nuvi 2xx/3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx

*Yup - I'm a completely stupid when it comes to using a comp*

Yes it should work , I use it on the Nuvi 1490T which is the latest Nuvi out

nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by nibbler » 04 March 10 8:18 am

funny just saw this post
I have loaded all 4096 caches on my garmin Nuvi 1350 with the instructions all seems fine

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 04 March 10 9:05 am

I have downloaded 24000+ caches (GC & GCA) without too many problems, just takes a bit of time. Generally though I stick to my home state. I haven't ventured into the new program written by jjreds as I only have the one database on GSAK & use Filters to define the caches I'm interested in.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 March 10 10:05 am

all you need to do is generate a gpx file from gsak and use poi loader to send them to nuvi ! as many as you want ! it even asks do you want to clear the old custom poi's before upload, does not get much easier

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 04 March 10 11:23 am

I like recipes.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 07 March 10 5:52 pm

woooooppps

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 09 March 10 5:23 pm

already posted

GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Post by GJMMelb » 17 April 10 11:30 am

Skippy wrote: Yes it should work , I use it on the Nuvi 1490T which is the latest Nuvi out
Hi everyone - we have FINALLY bought our first ever Car GPS and just want to ask some advice on loading caches to it. It is a Garmin Nuvi 1490T (same as Skippy - hence quoting you Skippy)

So if we DO load caches onto it will it "blip" everytime we drive past them or can we turn that off? I dont want it blipping all day every day as we have only done 231 caches so as you can imagine there are zillions :!: :!: we haven't done lol :shock:

And for me the slightly technology challenged (lol) :oops: could someone please give me "Step by Step" :oops: instructions of how to do it (presuming I can turn off the blip when wanted)

I saw
Mr Router wrote:all you need to do is generate a gpx file from gsak and use poi loader to send them to nuvi ! as many as you want ! it even asks do you want to clear the old custom poi's before upload, does not get much easier
but is clear as mud to me :oops: :oops: :oops: lol as we haven't used gsak yet - we have been printing out our cache details and taking with us, using our very cute (aka cheap) garmin e-trex (the yellow one) by uploading the caches one (or a few) at a time as needed using the "send to GPS" button on the listing.

Thanks in advance :D

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 17 April 10 11:51 am

GJMMelb wrote:
Skippy wrote:And for me the slightly technology challenged (lol) :oops: could someone please give me "Step by Step" :oops: instructions of how to do it (presuming I can turn off the blip when wanted)
The last update was December 2008 but it should work for new Nuvis http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 17 April 10 1:21 pm

rhinogeo wrote: The last update was December 2008 but it should work for new Nuvis http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/
WOW - thanks for that!!! We will give that a go this arvo !! GMelb had already tried to do something (GSAK-ish) but it didnt work so this gives us a heap more guidance!!
Thanks rhinogeo :D
GJMMelb

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 17 April 10 3:10 pm

Thanks again Rhinogeo!! We have successfully uploaded the 500 closest caches following the exact instructions as per the tutorial! We will have a play around with it again later and re do the upload to not include the one's we have already found and our own but are keen to go off and use it right now!! :lol: So cool - Thanks again! :D