Garmin - A tale of woes!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Re: Garmin - A tale of woes!

Post by blossom* » 09 March 10 1:36 pm

Is OSM routable? If so, why does my garmin not think so?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 09 March 10 2:08 pm

Some people publish routable OSM maps, some people publish non-routable maps. It depends where you get them from.

OSM just provide the data, it's the map publishers who decide what goes in to them.

If you get them from osmaustralia.org make sure you go here: http://www.osmaustralia.org/downloads.php and select the Routable Set (Australia) , as the standard .img are NOT routable

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 09 March 10 2:09 pm

ahhh! :!: Thanks so much :D

homedg
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 09 March 10 5:48 pm

how do you load an .img onto the Garmin (oregon)?

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 09 March 10 6:16 pm

load into mapsource then transfer !

homedg

Post by homedg » 09 March 10 7:25 pm

Mr Router,
How do I get an .img into mapsource?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 09 March 10 7:49 pm

homedg wrote:Mr Router,
How do I get an .img into mapsource?
The Mapsource program will create a .img file , you can not view it via Mapsource

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 09 March 10 8:20 pm

homedg wrote:how do you load an .img onto the Garmin (oregon)?
I think all you have to do is copy each .img file into the Garmin directory on the SD card. That's for the Oregon
Last edited by Dooghan on 09 March 10 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 09 March 10 8:25 pm

Skippy wrote:The Mapsource program will create a .img file , you can not view it via Mapsource
Mapsource WILL NOT create .img files but they can be loaded into Mapsource. Have a look at this link http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/show ... hp?t=14623

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 March 10 8:59 pm

Dooghan wrote:
homedg wrote:how do you load an .img onto the Garmin (oregon)?
I think all you have to do is copy each .img file into the Garmin directory on the SD card. That's for the Oregon
Yep.
Use cut (or copy) and paste.
Tada :-)

winglen
10000 or more caches found

Post by winglen » 09 March 10 9:55 pm

Well, the Winglen O300 has given up the ghost after 2000 caches and excellent service. :( Mysterious symptoms which eventually diagnosed to a cracked USB socket. The culprit seems to be the Garmin car charger which after many cycles of connecting/reconnecting has stressed the socket on the GPS. I blame the 90deg bend in the charger socket and the lateral stress this lends to it. Anyway, can't connect to the PC so the gpx file in memory is there forever, and no field notes. :cry:

The unit is out of warranty and Garmin quote me a repair/replace fee of $260. :evil: Rang around a few electronic repairers who suggested they couldn't do a repair for much less and couldn't guarantee the result. So bought an O450 for not alot more on the last US trip. :D

From reading this thread, it seems the USB connector is the achilles heel, especially heavy use of connecting a car charger. So either be really careful in making the connection, or just stick to rechargables. Been happy enough with the O300 design to risk getting the O450 and am basically a happy customer, but a bit wiser now. The O450 compass and screen seem better too, and I also prefer the fat compass needle.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 March 10 10:08 pm

winglen wrote:The culprit seems to be the Garmin car charger which after many cycles of connecting/reconnecting has stressed the socket on the GPS.
Exactly the same symptoms that maccamob suffered. Seems like a small (but expensive) design flaw.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 09 March 10 10:59 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
winglen wrote:The culprit seems to be the Garmin car charger which after many cycles of connecting/reconnecting has stressed the socket on the GPS.
Exactly the same symptoms that maccamob suffered. Seems like a small (but expensive) design flaw.
All my issues have been USB related and after reading maccamobs comments I have been a lot more careful in how I'm using the unit. It got me thinking how many times the USB is plugged in and if you take a single day in October last year it was plugged and unplugged 210 times in a single day. I think I'll just take more batteries or if I'm with others use the O300 to get us there on road and then use the other persons GPS to find the GZ.

winglen

Post by winglen » 26 March 10 3:48 pm

I should say that our saga ended on a slightly more upbeat note. Sent in the O300 speculatively to see what they would offer to do. Garmin Service phoned the next day after posting it to them that they would send me a new one for the flat repair fee of $250. They said ours was only the second one ever to be turned in with a buggered USB.

So a new O300 (complete with re-ID'ed maps) for a bit over half price. Now we have his&hers Oregons, but more importantly, we have one that can stay plugged into the car charger on trips. 8)

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 26 March 10 5:12 pm

Winglen FTW!

[I'm still waiting for Johhny Appleseed to call me about my problems trying to unlock my topo maps so I can load them on my shiny new O450 :cry: ]