Dell Axim X30 624MHz PPC PDA

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 23 August 04 11:05 am

I have been looking at one of these since they where released in America and was happy to see Dell Australia released them here as well a few months ago.
<br>
Quick stats:<br>
<br>
624MHz Intel XScale Processor with WMMX (I wish AMD would actually do something with their Alchemy range of CPU's and give Intel some competition in the PDA arena)<br>
Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition<br>
Wireless 802.11b Ethernet and Bluetooth<br>
64meg of RAM and 64meg of ROM<br>
3.5" 16bit TFT (thin film transistor) screen<br>
and an SD/MMC/SD-IO slot <br>
<br>
Pictures here:<br>
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/product ... tab#tabtop
<br><br>
I have checked in several places and they all said it will allow for use with a serial GPS like my Magellan Meridian Platinum.<br>
<br>
www.aximsite.com has a lot of good into as well.<br>
<br>
Has anyone got one and what do they think of it?<br>
Does anyone have any problems with this unit that they can see?<br>
<br>
I would like to say its main purpose is for Geocaching but with all the features I think Geocaching will be just one of the smaller things it does.<br>
<br>
Lt. Sniper<br>
Brissie, QLD<br>

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Dell Axim X30 624MHz PPC PDA

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 August 04 11:26 am

Lt. Sniper wrote:Does anyone have any problems with this unit that they can see?
Just one major one. I can't see any way to run PalmOS on it... :twisted:

Team Raider
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Raider » 23 August 04 2:14 pm

Bear_Left wrote:
Lt. Sniper wrote:Does anyone have any problems with this unit that they can see?
Just one major one. I can't see any way to run PalmOS on it... :twisted:
Would that be called PALM OS for a reason :twisted: <br>I have both, and the PPC is by far the most useful tool.<p>Cheers Mike - Gadget Lover! :wink:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 23 August 04 6:36 pm

Lt. Sniper wrote: Does anyone have any problems with this unit that they can see?
The specs do not mention a serial port, only a USB one. You can't use a USB to serial adaptor with it as there are no drivers. Rather than ask if you can run your GPS with it, I would be asking what speed the serial port runs at and the cost of a serial cable. Either of those questions should ferret out the answer to tte serial port question.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 23 August 04 10:05 pm

http://www.pc-mobile.net/ax3.htm<br>
<br>
Allows for a serial connection to the Axim with the ability to also provide external power <br>
<br>
http://www.pc-mobile.net/px3gsp.jpg<br>
Image<br>
<br>
http://www.pc-mobile.net/puc2.jpg<br>
Image<br>
<br>
http://www.pc-mobile.net/ck203.jpg<br>
Image<br>
<br>
All the parts I need to connect it up to the cars power and access my GPS.
<br><br>
As for the Palm remark, I use to own a Palm IIIx back when I was in grade 11 :-) It was a good PDA, time are changing while Palm keeps up they are going in a different direction from the PPC's which offer a much more powerful and feature full product. Dont get me wrong, I would like to own another Palm (I gave that one to my Dad), but the Axim x30 has all the features I want....Will still look for a PDA linux distro for it :-)<br>
<br>
Hopefully I will be able to put the order in within the next 2 to 3 weeks.<br>
<br>
Thanks for the feedback,
<br>
<br>
Lt. Sniper<br>
Brissie, QLD<br>

swagmanneke

dell axim x30 624MHz ppc pda

Post by swagmanneke » 02 November 04 9:14 am

hi
i am totaly new here, but about the Dell. i use the axim5 Performance here in Europe with TomTom 3 gps software and it works great, even better tan the inboard DVD navigation off my car.
that brings me to a question
is there gps software availeble for Australia Vic, SA, NSW.
we will be in Australia from 23-12 Til 14-1-2005 ariving and deaparting from Melbourne

greetings from Belgium
Swagmanneke
www.swagmanneke.be

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: dell axim x30 624MHz ppc pda

Post by Ebenezer » 02 November 04 10:12 am

Hi.
swagmanneke wrote: is there gps software availeble for Australia Vic, SA, NSW.
That depends on what you mean by "software". Tom Tom does not have any maps for Australia.

For Pocket PC/Windows Mobile (etc) devices you can get a copy of Ozi Explorer (CE version), for which you can get various maps. Ozi does not have an auto-routing capability though. (Although if you tell it the route it can give voice prompts.)

I know there are a few auto-routing type applications for PPC, but the maps tend to be proprietary for each application. From memory the Navman application does have maps for Australia, but I don't know much about it.

ToolkiT

Re: dell axim x30 624MHz ppc pda

Post by ToolkiT » 14 September 05 2:39 am

Ebenezer wrote:Hi.
swagmanneke wrote: is there gps software availeble for Australia Vic, SA, NSW.
That depends on what you mean by "software". Tom Tom does not have any maps for Australia.
Is that still the case?
I've recently started using TomTom on my palm and it is great, even MrsT likes it!

swagmanneke

Post by swagmanneke » 18 September 05 5:28 am

hi about Tom Tom for Australia still nothing i believe. but Destinator 3 has good maps for Australia. i dont know for off road but certanly for citu( country) use.
Destinator directed me from Healesville to Gisborne, using some roads my cousin never used till now( she lives in Gisborne)