Magellan Gold - HELP !!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Magellan Gold - HELP !!

Post by fidjit » 08 February 10 10:07 pm

Hokay, I already have 4 GPSs but a mate of mine just gave me his old Magellan Gold. Who am I to offend him and refuse his kind offer :P

It's loaded with Aus maps so that's a bonus........

It's got a 128MB SD card installed ( which I think contains the maps )

So some quick questions....

1. On the About it shows:
V4.51 Australia 1.02 Sept 29 2003
Basemap - Australia 1.02

Are these the latest versions ??

2. It doesn't have the serial cable. Is there a way to load Waypoints onto the SD card and load them in ??

I've tried putting GPX , LOC and GS ( limit of 200 export ? ) files from GSAK onto the SD card but I doesn't see them if I go to
Card utilities/Load WP Route

Am I going to have to buy a serial cable ???

Any help greatly appreciated.

Damo.

Re: Magellan Gold - HELP !!

Post by Damo. » 09 February 10 12:09 am

It's been a few years since I loaded anything on my magellan, but if I recall correctly, the waypoints are on the unit so you will need a serial cable. (Saw a few pictures online that people had made up with old serial cables! Easy enough to find the pinouts and you can buy the parts at electronics stores if you wanted to try make one up.)
The maps are on the SD card and I used to remove it and put it in a card reader to load maps simply due to the massive speed advantage of USB over the serial transfer but you can do it either way. You can export waypoints to magellan from GSAK but I think it was just via the serial cable to the unit, not to the SD card.
I may be wrong on this, It's been a while.

acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: Magellan Gold - HELP !!

Post by acts2youthgroup » 09 February 10 5:31 pm

I have a mageelan Platinum, I an sure they are similar to the gold, I use GSAK to copy the waypoints to the SD card, you need to use the file export to "Magellan explorist command and sd card" command. The gps can only load 500 at a time though. once on the card use the card utilities load waypoint and then select the file you exported to the card.