Topo Australia V2

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
urch
5000 or more caches found

Topo Australia V2

Post by urch » 22 January 10 1:12 am

I recently bought an Oregon 550 GPS and am trying to find a way to hide the contour lines - unless I am hiking in a hilly terrain these lines just clutter up the screen and are a pain in the neck. Is there some way to hide them? (There was an easy option to do this in my old Magellan GPS.)

rbirtles
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Re: Topo Australia V2

Post by rbirtles » 22 January 10 7:46 am

For the Dakota 20 - you choose Setup - Maps - Choose whatever map name your are interested in - Disable in your case.

Don't know whether the Oregon has a similar process.

Cheers!

urch

Post by urch » 22 January 10 10:29 am

I don't want to disable the map - just hide the contour lines - am hoping they might just be on a layer as was my old GPS.

rbirtles

Post by rbirtles » 22 January 10 10:56 am

On my Dakota 20 I have a number of maps loaded (4 actually). I usually run with 2 maps enabled at the same time - this being the OSM street map (free download) and Contours Australia (free download). This allows me to use street maps as well as well see the contour lines overlaid on it.

If I am basically doing city caching I will disable my Contours Australia map so I basically just see the street maps without the contours lines. If I am in the bush I will enable Contours as well so I know what is in front of me terrain elevation wise.

Is this what you are after or do you run with one map enabled only?

Maybe I am completely off track with your query so my apologies.

Cheers
Rob.

Shael6636
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Shael6636 » 22 January 10 1:14 pm

Hey urch,

Have you cheked the map settings on the Oregen to see if you can customise the map view i.e. layers? beacuse i am fairly certain on the Dakota 20 there is options and settings for the map details, layers etc.

I will double check when Im home from work and have aplay and ee if it can be done on the 20, if it can considering the Oregen 550 is the big brother of the 20 it should have simialr settings. :?:

urch

Post by urch » 22 January 10 1:48 pm

My map settings let me change zoom levels, text size, details etc, but none of these remove the contour lines.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 22 January 10 3:36 pm

G'Day urch

I'm sorry to say but it's all bad news. You can't turn them off with Topo Australia. The contours lines are not a separate layer. The only thing you could do is use OSM maps (free) or City Nav ($$$) or Shonky (Free) or some other map set and use my Contours Australia 5m maps (free or $6 to get them on DVD). Contours Australia maps are just contour lines with no other data. They sit on top of all other maps and you can turn them on and off without affecting the other maps. A poor mans topo map.

rbirtles

Post by rbirtles » 22 January 10 3:52 pm

They sit on top of all other maps and you can turn them on and off without affecting the other maps. A poor mans topo map.
They might be a poor man's map but there certainly are effective. Got my thumbs up for product! =D>

Cheers
Rob.

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 22 January 10 5:11 pm

rbirtles wrote:
They sit on top of all other maps and you can turn them on and off without affecting the other maps. A poor mans topo map.
They might be a poor man's map but there certainly are effective. Got my thumbs up for product! =D>

Cheers
Rob.
I completely agree, I am using them on the Dakota 20 and its really easy to just turn them off when there not needed. And they work very well to thanks Dooghan :D

urch

Post by urch » 22 January 10 9:39 pm

Thanks for all your input - I guess I will have to investigate alternative maps. )Pretty frustrating after shelling out big bucks for the topo one.

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 25 January 10 8:45 am

I've just worked out what you're talking about. I couldn't see the contour lines until I turned off City Navigator. I not suggesting you fork out for this though just to turn off the lines. Mine's a Colorado too, but the software for mapping seems pretty simillar.