GSAK: Mixing GCA and GC

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

GSAK: Mixing GCA and GC

Post by calumphing_four » 20 January 10 6:33 pm

I have GC and GCA caches stored in GSAK. Is there an easy solution for what I need to enter into the options to help GSAK determine the caches found/hidden by myself. If I use "Owner #Id" and use my GC id, then the GCA caches I've found won't get marked as found. I'm assuming I need to use "RegEx" but haven't managed to wade through all the info to find the expression I need to set up.
Also (since I use alternative names at times when placing a cache) I can't go the easy option of just matching my name.
Thanks inadvance
Cheers 8)

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Re: GSAK: Mixing GCA and GC

Post by Coffee and Cache » 20 January 10 9:40 pm

calumphing_four wrote:I have GC and GCA caches stored in GSAK. Is there an easy solution for what I need to enter into the options to help GSAK determine the caches found/hidden by myself. If I use "Owner #Id" and use my GC id, then the GCA caches I've found won't get marked as found. I'm assuming I need to use "RegEx" but haven't managed to wade through all the info to find the expression I need to set up.
Also (since I use alternative names at times when placing a cache) I can't go the easy option of just matching my name.
Thanks inadvance
Cheers 8)
Assuming your GC & GCA caching names are identical, you just have to change to the "Exact match" option & enter your caching name. Works like a treat for us for exactly the reason you specify.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 January 10 10:01 pm

The problem is that GSAK only references the "owner" name if the "owner id" or placed_by / cacher field is not there. i.e. It uses placed_by / cacher as the "owner" of the cache for matching purposes.

So if I hide a cache, the owner is "caughtatwork", but I can hide it using the name "He Who Must Be Obeyed".

The GPX file from GC has the owner as "caughtatwork" with my owner id and the placed_by as "He Who Must Be Obeyed"

The GPX file from GCA has the owner as "caughtatwork" and the cacher as "He Who Must Be Obeyed" but we don't provide an owner id. We don't provide an owner id as there is a possibility of a clash against the GC owner ids which would cause all sorts of confusion.

I think you might need to write to Clyde and ask that the "name" match be made against the owner name rather than the placed_by / cacher name. That seems like the most logical as the placed_by / cacher name can be anything, anything at all and doesn't seem like a good candidate to try to match against.

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 20 January 10 11:34 pm

Err - woops. Looks like I was thinking of placed caches - dratt!

On reflection, I get around the problem to some extent by creating GSAK databases just for found caches and filling them with the GC PQ and the GCA equivalent.