Can't unlock maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
geospyder

Can't unlock maps

Post by geospyder » 09 January 10 4:00 pm

I just received a preloaded card containing City Navigator Australia NT 2009 and City Navigator New Zealand NT 2009. When I place the card in my eTrex Vista HCx and turn on the power I receive "Can't unlock maps (enter)".

Looking at the card I have one folder - garmin

In that folder there are two files - gampsupp.img and gmapsupp.unl

Figured if anyone else had the same problem it would be over here on the Australian board. I was hoping to use these maps on my trip to Tasmania next month. Any ideas on how to get it to work?

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Can't unlock maps

Post by PesceVerde » 09 January 10 10:31 pm

I would recommend asking the retailer where you bought the card.

Good folks at gpsaustralia may be able to help.

jyetara
700 or more Caches found

Post by jyetara » 10 January 10 10:29 am

try renaming the files to gmapprom.img and gmapprom.unl

if you still have problems, will try to help again...

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 10 January 10 11:19 am

I thought you only could have gmapsupp... on a SD card with the other filenames residing only on the GPSr? :-k

mm

jyetara
700 or more Caches found

Post by jyetara » 10 January 10 5:31 pm

not 100% sure, but i had a similar problem with my Oregon 550 and once renamed, it worked fine...

generally it works as:
gmapbmap.img - default base map
gmapprom.img - primary map
gmapprom1.img - secondary map
gmapsupp.img - supplementary map which generally can be on unit & SD card
gmappro2.img - another map
gmappro3.img - another map
OR
gmapsup1.img
gmapsup2.img - etc etc

but for some reason my Oregon didn't like "gmapsupp.img" with the 2010 maps

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 10 January 10 5:51 pm

With the current firmware on the Oregon and Dakota at least, you can now use whatever name you want on the SD card. On my Dakota's SD card I've got TopoAus.img, OSM.img ContoursV2.img and Shonky.img
Makes it much easier to remember which is which!

jyetara
700 or more Caches found

Post by jyetara » 10 January 10 9:27 pm

With the current firmware on the Oregon and Dakota at least, you can now use whatever name you want on the SD card. On my Dakota's SD card I've got TopoAus.img, OSM.img ContoursV2.img and Shonky.img
Makes it much easier to remember which is which!
That's good to know because I've got City Nav 2010, Oztopo, shonky, bluechart, open, etc on there and I can't remember which is which!

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 20 January 10 11:40 am

I just received an email from the company that I purchased the preloaded map card from. They say that they tried it in a number of different Garmins and it works. As a courtesy they are sending me another card. It really has me curious as to why it would work in their GPS and not mine. We’ll wait and see what the replacement does.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 20 January 10 1:31 pm

geospyder wrote:I just received a preloaded card containing City Navigator Australia NT 2009 and City Navigator New Zealand NT 2009. When I place the card in my eTrex Vista HCx and turn on the power I receive "Can't unlock maps (enter)".
Suouldn't you also have an unlock utility to match your device serial No with the maps?

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 20 January 10 2:16 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:Suouldn't you also have an unlock utility to match your device serial No with the maps?
No. With a preloaded card the maps are locked to the card. Meaning the card serial No. has been coded into the maps. You should be able to take that card and put it into any Garmin GPS and it should work. If you copy the maps onto 2nd SD card and try to use them, then they will not work. Serial No. of the 2nd card does not match serial No. that the part of the maps.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 20 January 10 4:41 pm

That's what I understood when I bought the card. Just place it in my GPS and I was ready to go. What I don't understand is that they say it worked on their GPS.

"Hello, We received and tested your card, Card is working with our GPS units (we tested on few) Have you try copying card into another SD card? Because only time you'll get that can't unlock maps error is when card is copied to another SD card. This will trigger protection system and your card may also be effected. This procedure will void your warranty.

As courtesy we are dispatching another new card for your address."

If copying was the problem, which in this case it wasn't since I didn't try doing any copying, why would it work in their GPS. Something is not right. I just hope the new card works.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 29 January 10 11:30 am

The rest of the story. They sent a replacement card. I tried it in my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, a friends Garmin eTrex Legend HCx and a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. All three returned the message "Can't unlock maps". I contacted the company and requested a refund. I returned the map card and have already received the refund. I'm really curious as to why it didn't work especially since they said it did in their GPS units. Oh well, I have my money back and maps from another source so I'm all set for the trip next month.