Garmin compass calibration

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Shael6636
400 or more spectacular views seen

Re: Garmin compass calibration

Post by Shael6636 » 11 January 10 3:20 pm

Echo wrote:Can someone tell me if they have a problem with their Garmin constantly asking to be re-calibrated?
We are using a Darkota 20 and we are finding ourselves having to re-calibrate every 20 minutes or so if we are using compass.
It's at the point at the moment that we only use the map because the moment we bring up the compass, well... ](*,)
Is this a common thing caused by power lines or some sort of external interference?

Help! [-o<
Hi Echo,

I have been using the Dakota 20 since xmas and while i occasionaly have had to recalibrate the compass certainly not that much :shock:

I can tell you that there is a firmware update for the GPS so install that and see how it goes after the update has been installed. Since ive installed the update the Dakiota 20 works lovely (it also :) did before)

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 12 January 10 8:38 am

Tuena wrote:I recently purchased a 60CSX & have not had to recalibrate it at all. Which is just as well as there are NO roundabouts where I live.
Your 60CSX will never ask you to recalibrate the compass. It will just silently point you in the wrong direction, if you don't recalibrate it after changing the batteries.

Tuena

Post by Tuena » 12 January 10 8:46 am

Thanks for that advice - I shall recalibrate now as I have changed the batteries numerous times.

ianc
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by ianc » 12 January 10 8:09 pm

As a matter of interest, how accurate/precise are the electronic compasses on GPS? Are they useful for getting a decent compass bearing, or just for giving a relative direction to a waypoint when you're stationary?

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 12 January 10 11:06 pm

ianc wrote:As a matter of interest, how accurate/precise are the electronic compasses on GPS? Are they useful for getting a decent compass bearing, or just for giving a relative direction to a waypoint when you're stationary?
Typical 3 axis compasses are accurate to +-2 degrees with a resolution of 1 degree. Traditional analogue :twisted: compasses are usually better than +-2 degrees if that helps (assuming the user reads the numbers accurately [-X )

More than adequate to gain a good enough bearing for most situations.

mm

endorfun

Post by endorfun » 13 January 10 5:57 pm

I have had a few models of GPS recievers since I first discovered them as a novellty back in 1990 at Sun nFun in Lake land Florida. A Megellan model that if it were here today would be trashed by an Etrex H today and having paid well of $1000 for the thing. Since then I have had at least 14 various devices and I have yet to see a GPS with a compass or altimeter that works well enough for me to leave my glycerin filled compass or my aneroid barometer/altimeter out of my pack. Yes, the GPS ones do work, and they require calibration to remain even just useful, but I find it much easier and less time consuming to be able to keep the compass on a neck strap and the aneroid in a belt clip to get them both read and in use in 10 seconds ( and if needed enter the corrections into the GPS in another 30 seconds) than the 3 or more minutes it takes to determine how much error if any and get the GPS on track. Until the compass and aneroid are completely isolated from the other devices in the GPS they are always going to be plaqued with glitches and fualts.

Echo
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 14 January 10 1:28 pm

Shael6636 wrote:
Echo wrote:Can someone tell me if they have a problem with their Garmin constantly asking to be re-calibrated?
We are using a Darkota 20 and we are finding ourselves having to re-calibrate every 20 minutes or so if we are using compass.
It's at the point at the moment that we only use the map because the moment we bring up the compass, well... ](*,)
Is this a common thing caused by power lines or some sort of external interference?

Help! [-o<
Hi Echo,

I have been using the Dakota 20 since xmas and while i occasionaly have had to recalibrate the compass certainly not that much :shock:

I can tell you that there is a firmware update for the GPS so install that and see how it goes after the update has been installed. Since ive installed the update the Dakiota 20 works lovely (it also :) did before)
GREAT! #-o

Downloaded and ran the update last night and not only did it make the GPSr crash but it was also nice enough to wipe the entire internal memory so now when you turn it on all it says is "System Software Missing".

After 2 40+ minute calls to Garmin Australia they sent me a zip that is meant to fix it. Will be running that as soon as I get home with fingers crossed. [-o<

Maybe it was easier to just re calibrate everytime I walked under a tree...

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 14 January 10 2:45 pm

Echo wrote:
Shael6636 wrote:

Help! [-o<
Hi Echo,

GREAT! #-o

Downloaded and ran the update last night and not only did it make the GPSr crash but it was also nice enough to wipe the entire internal memory so now when you turn it on all it says is "System Software Missing".

After 2 40+ minute calls to Garmin Australia they sent me a zip that is meant to fix it. Will be running that as soon as I get home with fingers crossed. [-o<

:cry: OMG...... I am so sorry that happened Echo :shock: :shock: :shock:
When I did my update I had no problem at all....but you probably didnt want to hear that :oops:

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 14 January 10 4:22 pm

Garmin have just updated their Oregon beta version into a final.

Oregon 300/400
Oregon 550/550t

You will neede WebUpdater to update your device.

Echo

Post by Echo » 15 January 10 12:57 pm

Shael6636 wrote:
Echo wrote:
Shael6636 wrote:Hi Echo,

GREAT! #-o

:cry: OMG...... I am so sorry that happened Echo :shock: :shock: :shock:
When I did my update I had no problem at all....but you probably didnt want to hear that :oops:
No problem, I have been talking to Garmin and Garmin Australasia. Garmin have told me it needs to be returned and Garmin Australasia emailed me a file that found my unit, fixed the problem and updated my software to version 2.50 which from what I can see isn't available on the web updater yet! So it's all systems go (thanks Garmin Aust). :mrgreen:

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 15 January 10 1:41 pm

Echo wrote:GREAT! #-o

Shael6636 wrote: :cry: OMG...... I am so sorry that happened Echo :shock: :shock: :shock:
Echo wrote:No problem, I have been talking to Garmin and Garmin Australasia. Garmin have told me it needs to be returned and Garmin Australasia emailed me a file that found my unit, fixed the problem and updated my software to version 2.50 which from what I can see isn't available on the web updater yet! So it's all systems go (thanks Garmin Aust). :mrgreen:
I am glad that they were able to help you fix it without having to send the GPS of to them to fix Echo :D

Did they give you an eta on when the new Update is going to be released :mrgreen:

rbirtles
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by rbirtles » 15 January 10 1:57 pm

Just before Xmas I downloaded and updated my Garmin Dakota 20 with the latest patch and this bascically killed my Dakota. Couldn't even get it past the Garmin screen when you first turn it on. Tried many things but no luck.

Garmin asked me to send it to their Service Centre and I received it 1 week later while I was up in Qld. Instead of fixing the unit they gave me a brand new Dakota 20 :D

Apart from this hiccup I am very happy with this unit although I did have to go out and buy an Etrex in order to keep my obsession and consecutive day count ticking over. No harm in having to GPSRs :lol:

Cheers!
Rob.

Echo

Post by Echo » 15 January 10 2:02 pm

rbirtles wrote:Just before Xmas I downloaded and updated my Garmin Dakota 20 with the latest patch and this bascically killed my Dakota. Couldn't even get it past the Garmin screen when you first turn it on. Tried many things but no luck.

Garmin asked me to send it to their Service Centre and I received it 1 week later while I was up in Qld. Instead of fixing the unit they gave me a brand new Dakota 20 :D

Apart from this hiccup I am very happy with this unit although I did have to go out and buy an Etrex in order to keep my obsession and consecutive day count ticking over. No harm in having to GPSRs :lol:

Cheers!
Rob.
That was the exact problem I had. :-k

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 15 January 10 2:26 pm

Shael6636 wrote:
Did they give you an eta on when the new Update is going to be released :mrgreen:
2.50 for the Dakota was released yesterday (along with 3.50 for the Oregon). I updated my new Dakota to 2.50 yesterday and am really liking the new dashboard.

rbirtles

Post by rbirtles » 15 January 10 4:34 pm

I am too scared to try the new update... LOL :D 8-[