Windows 7

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Windows 7

Post by GeoScrubers » 17 November 09 10:52 am

I can't seem to find any discussion in the forums about Windows 7 :?

Surely with all the computer gurus in geocaching, it must have come up.

anyone point me in the direction to a thread about it ??
Ta :D

Damo.

Re: Windows 7

Post by Damo. » 17 November 09 10:57 am

Haven't seen it mentioned. Guess it's not so relevant to geocaching. :D
I'm pretty sure that if GSAK didn't work on Windows 7 we would have heard about it!

What are you wanting to know?

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 17 November 09 11:55 am

Damo. wrote:......What are you wanting to know?
Is it any good/better than vista etc?
We are looking at upgrading the PC, so do we buy now or wait for the bugs to be sorted out?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 17 November 09 12:29 pm

From what I have read on it, the consensus is if you are currently using Vista it's a "no brainer" to replace it. Windows 7 runs much much better and you have an upgrade path.
If you are running XP, there's no upgrade version you can use so you would need to buy the full OS. Win 7 is much less resource demanding than Vista so you could likely run it fine on a machine running win XP.

How soon were you going to upgrade? If you are purchasing a new computer than save some $$ and get the OEM version with that.

Shael6636
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Shael6636 » 17 November 09 1:44 pm

My GF (shr00mbait) and i are installing Windows 7 onto a netbook for caching in the next couple of days. Of couse GSAK is going to be installed onto it so if there are any issues I will post it here.

As to Upgrading to 7 GO FOR IT! :lol:
It is a much smoother install when compared to Vista, and a lot of the useless crap has been removed. Currently our employer is testing it on several of our servers with no porblems so far.

The only potential issue at this stage is Driver support for Windows 7 but drivers are coming out fairly quickly as lots of businesses are upgrading form XP / Vista to Windows 7

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 17 November 09 4:27 pm

Just spent this morning installing Win 7 on my EEE PC 1000h. It went really well as you can see as I'm using it at the moment. I put the install disk onto a 4GB USB drive. The install was just a couple of clicks and it did the rest. It found all my hardware on problems. Drivers are not a problem. If there a Vista drivers for your hardware then you can use them. I can't fault it so far. Anyway I better get back to reinstalling all my programs.

stringy

Post by stringy » 17 November 09 4:57 pm

Windows 7 is way better and i was one of many students getting a hand on it with the governments "Laptops 4 Learning".

However Windows 7 is way better than vista but I can say that Windows haven't caught up to machintosh.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 17 November 09 5:30 pm

stringy wrote: Windows haven't caught up to machintosh.
I disagree. I installed Windows 7 on my Macbook when it was first available on Techet a few months ago, and haven't booted into OSX since. Windows just does everything better IMHO.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 17 November 09 11:29 pm

I have XP on the home machine and have no intention of upgrading. XP works and works well.

I joined a new company and had to buy a laptop 2 years ago. It came with Vista. Upgrading to Windows 7 was a no brainer as Vista sucked big time (I could get into all the reasons why about networking etc but that's not relevant).

The choice - if I had a spare copy of XP and could easily find all the drivers for the Toshiba work notebook I would back it up, reformat and run it on XP. But Windows 7 mostly works - the main issues are some of the programs I need to run to manage radio gear at work that don't like it. And I hate a lot of the new display features that makes things resize or disappear when I accidentally move the mouse to the wrong place.

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 18 November 09 8:00 am

Indaweeds wrote:
I disagree. I installed Windows 7 on my Macbook when it was first available on Techet a few months ago, and haven't booted into OSX since. Windows just does everything better IMHO.
Surely you can't be serious? Are you having a laugh? You're having a laugh!

:-k

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 18 November 09 11:42 am

cdmark wrote:
Indaweeds wrote:
Surely you can't be serious? Are you having a laugh? You're having a laugh!

:-k
Completely serious. I just don't see the point of OSX when Windows does everything just as well (a lot of things better in my opinion), and I don't have to bother trying to find "mac equivalents" of certain software (eg GSAK). In fact, as soon as I get a few spare hours, I'll be deleting the OSX partition altogether to recover the hard drive space.

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 18 November 09 6:54 pm

:-k[/quote]
Completely serious. I just don't see the point of OSX when Windows does everything just as well (a lot of things better in my opinion), and I don't have to bother trying to find "mac equivalents" of certain software (eg GSAK). In fact, as soon as I get a few spare hours, I'll be deleting the OSX partition altogether to recover the hard drive space.
Well there you go. I guess there is a first time for everything.

Running two separate OS can be a bit of a pain. If I didn't have to run GSAK and my Game Collectorz software I would be deleting the windows partition of my macbook to free up hard drive space myself.

Maybe you should sell off the macbook and make a few bucks and then pick up a cheap windows laptop?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 18 November 09 7:37 pm

What is this Windows and Mac that you speak of?

Does not compute :lol:

(First I've ever heard of someone preferring 7 over OSX on a macbook!, but I suppose it's horses for courses... I don't use either)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 November 09 9:00 pm

Sinc mac went to using intel processors it is a natural step :lol:

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 18 November 09 9:58 pm

Mr Router wrote:Sinc mac went to using intel processors it is a natural step :lol:
To what?