...Ummm...

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
stringy

...Ummm...

Post by stringy » 22 October 09 4:42 pm

I've decided to get a dakota 20 in the future. :D

Now: on the US site it costs $349 USD
on the Ausralian site it costs $499 AUD
Converted the USD to AUD and it cost $379AUD

That is a big difference! :P

So why is the Australian price so much cheaper than the on that is in Australia when I converted it? ](*,) #-o

Please can someone explain. Well I know that shipping would cost a little bit of money but there is well over a hundred dollar difference.

Damo.

Re: ...Ummm...

Post by Damo. » 22 October 09 5:01 pm

Australia gets shafted with most consumer electronics.
I think the companies would argue there is a smaller consumer base and transport costs etc but some people less kindly refer to it as price gauging.
I suppose with our high standard of living and average wage they charge whatever the market can bear and people keep paying it!

Sony are selling their new PSP for $199US in the USA and $450AUD here. When the two dollars are almost at parity! Please explain?

From your example it looks like the difference is getting smaller though. I bought my first GPSr in 2003 for $350AUD from ebay when rrp was $700AUD here.

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 22 October 09 5:31 pm

Damo. wrote:Sony are selling their new PSP for $199US in the USA and $450AUD here.
"Selling" or "Failing miserably to sell"? :oops:

ma77hew
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by ma77hew » 22 October 09 6:17 pm

My first GPS (in 2003) was a grey import c/o eBay. I got an etrex Venture for about $100 less than the oz retail price of the yellow etrex H.
Keep in mind that a more sophisticated GPS won't come from the US with Aussie maps, although there are ways and means.

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 22 October 09 7:09 pm

Stingy, be careful that there isn't any stamp duty applicable bringing it in to Australia from overseas.

By the way, Johnny Appleseed has the Dakota 20 for $410.

stringy

Post by stringy » 25 October 09 8:06 am

GhostGums wrote:Stingy, be careful that there isn't any stamp duty applicable bringing it in to Australia from overseas.
yeah, but that wouldn't cost that much anyway.
By the way, Johnny Appleseed has the Dakota 20 for $410.
But that is a good price anyway. I got my first GPS from John Apleseed and they are so much cheaper.

rbirtles
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by rbirtles » 25 October 09 9:11 am

I got my Dakota 20 for A$408.00 (including P&H costs) from a business in Western Australia. Posted to Canberra and arrived within 3 days. Will look up details for you tomorrow.

I am very happy with the Dakota 20 but, then again, this is my first handheld GPS :D

Cheers!

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 25 October 09 9:19 am

AU vendors would also tend to keep the price fixed for longer even though the ozzie dollar is fluctuating, in the our favour at the moment. Once stock is exhausted they may tend to reflect current pricing, or they may still stick with or just below RRP....it is always a balance between price and sales volumes when competing with net sales.

BTW is that US price including postage and handling? All too often the cost of P&H is rediculous due to the vendor requiring a registered postal service (paypal etc may ask for this) and as such we need to add another $30-40-50 etc to the cost. ](*,)

At the moment, the AU purchases are competitive. \:D/

mm

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 25 October 09 12:50 pm

You would only pay duty on anything that is over $1k, so at ~$400 you should be safe there :!: