Geocaching Live Software

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Geocaching Live Software

Post by CraigRat » 20 October 09 3:23 pm

Doesn't work on Android devices yet by the looks of it.

Shael6636
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Shael6636 » 20 October 09 3:37 pm

Hmmm,

I have gotten the impression that this is more of an issue with my phone instead of the GeoCaching live Software (considering it just stopped accepting text input) :evil:

Might be time for a hard reset....again.... :x or a new mobile device....thankfully i have insurrance and i foresee a minor "accident" on the horizen :roll:

jyetara
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by jyetara » 01 November 09 10:12 am

Have used it on a few devices so far.
Sony Ericsson W995 - Terrible GPS, but program worked ok.
N95 - Great GPS, program ok.
N85 - Faster than N95. Great GPS, program ok.
HTC Touch Pro 2 - OK GPS, program ok.

The interface really needs to be cleaned up, and I'd like to see the way Trimble's Geocache Navigator shows a list First. The map showing caches nearby can be useful, but I like a "list" format for most occasions.

Yeah, so the interface is my biggest problem, but it's still Beta. I guess we should be posting this in a Forum that the developers will see?

This is one thing that has really impressed me with the Author of GCZ (I & II) in the XDA forums. He responds very quickly and seems to take input very well. To see the changes that happen so fast would be nice in most programs!

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 02 November 09 6:54 pm

Well i have actually had the "accident" with the Renoir and I am currently using a Nokia 6110 navigator until I get the replacement phone.

And geocaching Live works perfectly with the 6110, none of the previous issues with the LG.
The interface certainly needs to be cleaned up but as jyetara says it is a beta :roll:

It would be good to have the option of moving the compass and the + & - buttons on the screen as they sometimes get in the way when using the large font size.
It wopuld alos be nice to know when they intend to go "live" with a full version and not just a beta.....timeframe would be very helpful to us users...

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 04 November 09 7:29 am

The thing I find annoying about it is that even after I've imported a whole PQ worth of caches to the program, It only imports the co-ordinates and the basic details of each cache, and still relies on being able to connect to the internet to give you listing details. This is not useful when you are out of mobile range :( So frustrating having all the information but not being able to access it.

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 04 November 09 5:12 pm

Jezzza_Xtreme wrote:The thing I find annoying about it is that even after I've imported a whole PQ worth of caches to the program, It only imports the co-ordinates and the basic details of each cache, and still relies on being able to connect to the internet to give you listing details. This is not useful when you are out of mobile range :( So frustrating having all the information but not being able to access it.
](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Hmm I have been playing with inporting GPX files from GSAK. So far i can import them no problems at all I havent diabled the net access though. Have you imported the Caches directly through Geocaching Live or from GSAK Jexxa?

If not i might give that a try tonight. Import my databse and turn off the net access on the program and see what info I get. Have you tried the offiline maps as yet?

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 10 November 09 7:00 am

Yeah, I don't know if you can do it through GSAK (having not ever used that :P) so I just downloaded the PQ straight to my phone and imported it in the Live! program itself. With regards to offline maps, I gave it a try but I only tried a small area. It worked, but I have a generous 3G internet allowance so I didn't bother.

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 16 November 09 12:18 pm

Jezzza_Xtreme wrote:Yeah, I don't know if you can do it through GSAK (having not ever used that :P) so I just downloaded the PQ straight to my phone and imported it in the Live! program itself. With regards to offline maps, I gave it a try but I only tried a small area. It worked, but I have a generous 3G internet allowance so I didn't bother.
hey Jezza.....I can confirm that you can import a GPX database created from GSAK into Geocaching Live. it brings accross all the info in the Database. I

I have transferred my entire GSAK DAtabase (for Perth area) onto my Nokia 6110 (loan phone) and it works perfectly for me :lol:
I am still trying to get the offline maps working on the phone, I have downloaded the maps from Open Map, Google MAPS and Google Hybrid. :shock:

Strangely enough I still cannot get Google maps to work on my phone as yet even though the desktop version works :? :shock:

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 19 November 09 4:08 pm

Ok for those of you who have tried to use the google map server addresses and have not have much success (like me) ](*,) ](*,)

I can confirmn these links DO WORK on my Nokia N97 so hopefully they will work for other handsets as well :D
Google Street
http://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=m&x=[X]&y=[Y]&z=[INVZ]

Google Arial
http://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=s&x=[X]&y=[Y]&z=[INVZ]

Google Hybrid
http://mt1.google.com/vt/lyrs=y&x=[X]&y=[Y]&z=[INVZ]

One very important thing to note is I have NOT set the projection to:
WGS84/Spherical. On all of the above map servers the Projection is set to WGS84.

This is the only way it seems to work on my phone. :?

Let me know if you can get them to work or not

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 22 November 09 9:48 am

I have mine set to spherical. When I put in the wrong one all the maps were offset by a few hundred meters (not very handy) Good to see you have something working though.

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 22 November 09 5:41 pm

Jezzza_Xtreme wrote:I have mine set to spherical. When I put in the wrong one all the maps were offset by a few hundred meters (not very handy) Good to see you have something working though.
Strangely enough i had the same problem its all fixed and set to spherical now and it works properly.

There is now a wiki guide for the program to at this address:
http://gc-livepedia.de/

I ahve alos been able to use the offline maps though the zoom levels arent all that great max seems to be about 200m

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 26 November 09 10:26 pm

Just spent an afternoon caching in Darwin using the prgram on my 6210. Very impressed and found the interface better than Trimble. I prefer the map image over the trimble list as you can see if there is a river in the way etc.
Multis were easy to with the manually entered waypoint appearing on the map.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 27 November 09 1:05 pm

Does anyone know the Server URL for the Open Street Maps Cyclemap? The wiki has Mapnik and Osmarender, but not Cyclemap. This would be handy as it shows contour lines as well.

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 09 December 09 2:19 pm

Indaweeds wrote:Does anyone know the Server URL for the Open Street Maps Cyclemap? The wiki has Mapnik and Osmarender, but not Cyclemap. This would be handy as it shows contour lines as well.
Hey indaweeds,

I have done an extensive search online to try and find the map server addresses for you but it has been ](*,)

The only thing i would recommend is posting the request on the GC Live forum and see how you go with that.

And if anyone knows how to find map server addresses could you share please [-o< as it would be good to know :) and this has stumped me.

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 09 December 09 2:59 pm

Thanks for trying anyway.
I did quite a bit of looking around myself and also came up with nought. It's not the first time the whole OSM Cyclemap thing has had me stumped. I tried a while ago to get the cycle map in to Garmin Mobile XT on my phone but struck out with that too. I'm surprised the cycle map isn't more popular as it's actually quite good for walking. A lot of times it's better than the commercial offerings.