Bookmarks retrieval

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Bookmarks retrieval

Post by PesceVerde » 16 September 09 2:18 pm

Hi,

It seems that my FF browser is broken.
Downloaded and updated to version 3.5. , with a different browser, but FF is still not working properly. The browser window doesn't open but at Windows XP shut down, an error message says "Firefox is not responding. End Now. etc."

Could anyone suggest a safe [and easy] way to retrieve saved FF bookmarks before I uninstall the program? :?:

IE 8 seems OK. Downloaded Chrome which also seems OK.

Any help would be appreciated.

funkydan2
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found
Twitter: ds_says

Re: Bookmarks retrieval

Post by funkydan2 » 16 September 09 2:30 pm

Yep, shouldn't be too hard.

Open up Windows Explorer. Go to
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USER NAME>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<SOMETHING>.default\
the file bookmarks.html is what you want.

Copy that file to another location (My Documents or Desktop) and you should be able to import it into another program.

If you're still keen to use Firefox as you main web browser (and who wouldn't) you can delete the <SOMETHING>.default directory. When you restart Firefox, it will create a new profile directory, and that should fix any problems that have occurred.

Daniel

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Re: Bookmarks retrieval

Post by PesceVerde » 16 September 09 3:29 pm

I think I got everything I need now. :D Thanks for the directions, and I will be using FireFox again soon.