outlook express at macca's

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
pprass
10000 or more caches found

outlook express at macca's

Post by pprass » 11 September 09 11:12 pm

Does anyone know why I can't send emails from Outlook Express when I use the MacDonalds free WIFI connection? I receive all of my emails, but can't send.
I can send emails at home connected to my network and I can send emails if I buy some internet time at caravan parks.

Is there a setting that I have to change somewhere?

Thanks someone who knows this nstuff :oops:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: outlook express at macca's

Post by CraigRat » 11 September 09 11:21 pm

From here http://www.wirelesslans.com.au/wifi/mcd ... i-faq.html
Native SMTP on port 25 has been specifically excluded to prevent the Free WiFi network from a Spam source by only permitting outbound mail on Authenticated SMTP destinations.
You may need to see if your mail provider handles SMTP over SSL, otherwise you may need to look at a webmail client like Hotmail or gmail, etc

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 11 September 09 11:31 pm

You can also try editing your Outlook settings for the outgoing mail server to mail.bigpond.com whilst keeping your incoming mail server with its original settings

This assumes that you are not a Telstra/Bigpond user at home :wink:

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 12 September 09 10:28 am

We had exactly the same problem a few weeks ago when we traveled with our caravan around Central Qld. We could receive email but not send at maccas but if we went back to the caravan park we could do both with the same settings; and we did have mail.bigpond.com as our Sending Server. It must be something with the set-up of maccas. So I then resorted to webmail if at maccas or waited until we were in a caravan park with free internet which many of them have where we traveled.
I've just looked at the connection that CraigRat put on his reply and it does mention about "Outgoing Mail" near the bottom of the article and to solve the problem they suggest using webmail if you have problems with changing the server.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 12 September 09 7:05 pm

Maccas do it to prevent miscreants sitting there sending spam via 'open-relay' mail servers.
It is actually a good practice on open wifi, but annoying to most folks. The actions of the bad few have an effect on the many........

If your email provider supports authentication over SSH (sometimes called Secure Authentication ro something similar) then you will be ok, just ask your local ISP support people for what settings you need.

If you are traveling, I STRONGLY recommend you look at a provider with a web interface anyhow, just in case your laptop/phone gets nicked, as you will be able to access it via any web kiosk/online center etc.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 12 September 09 9:24 pm

CraigRat wrote:If your email provider supports authentication over SSH (sometimes called Secure Authentication ro something similar) then you will be ok, just ask your local ISP support people for what settings you need.
Me personally there is no way I would not use a secure connection to send or get email from my ISP on a public access point. You just don't know who is listening. All the ISP's I've been with use the same user name and password to access your account details (name, address, phone, etc) on the ISP's server.
Last edited by Dooghan on 13 September 09 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 12 September 09 11:55 pm

The other way around this is that work has a VPN, I should be able to sit at the big M start my VPN client and then use Outlook or anything else securely.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 13 September 09 12:19 am

It's also dependant on your ISP. When travelling I may have for example my home PC with my email software on it and the work supplied Optus 3G dongle. I can download email but can't upload.

Why - because my ISP sensibly decides that people trying to send email from my domain, from outside the domain, are probably trying to hack the system and send spam. So I can download my emails, but have to use the webmail interface to send things. So if I connect from outside virgin broadband, I need to use webmail to send.

pprass

Post by pprass » 18 September 09 6:24 am

Thanks everyone for your replies - I now know the limitations.