Contours Australia 5m

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Dooghan

Re: Contours Australia 5m

Post by Dooghan » 03 September 09 12:43 pm

andiamo wrote:OMG! Went to download the info but with the pathetic broadband we have - estimated download time was 24hrs :x Looks like we will have to order it by DVD.
LOL.......Took me 30 hrs to upload it (256kbps)and 4 hrs to download it (1500kbps).

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 03 September 09 10:51 pm

I downloaded it at work (5 hours) and have it on DVD at home.

Happy to hand out copies at the next Geocaching NSW meeting in two weeks time. I'll also throw in the latest OSM maps for Garmin, which cover Australia, NZ and PNG.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 04 September 09 10:00 pm

The Mac version is up. I don't have a Mac to test it so any beta testers???

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 04 September 09 11:17 pm

I'll be your guinea pig. Unfortunately, the download fails after 10.9 KB (Cannot create file).

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 05 September 09 5:54 am

Spindoc Bob wrote:I'll be your guinea pig. Unfortunately, the download fails after 10.9 KB (Cannot create file).
I just downloaded 3MB of the file and no problems. I did SSh into the sever and run the checksum on the file after I uploaded it. It was a match. All should be fine from what I can see :-k

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 06 September 09 10:01 am

Quad core processors for the next version i take it? :-k =D>

Finally downloaded with getright.... after 3 attempts without a download manager. [-(

Thanks for the version, is there any chance of being able to access V2 - 10m on your site again (dead links), as the 5m is just way too much info on the screen....however we also want to keep the other mapset's settings at "most".

mm

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 06 September 09 10:38 am

Many thanks.
The Contours Australia 5 metre contours should make 'life' easier.
Took about 8 hours to download. No apparent hiccups.
:D

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 06 September 09 1:33 pm

Map Monkey wrote:Quad core processors for the next version i take it? :-k =D>
I'm going to need that just to compile the maps. The size of the download is going to be the problem :shock:
Map Monkey wrote:Finally downloaded with getright.... after 3 attempts without a download manager. [-(

Thanks for the version, is there any chance of being able to access V2 - 10m on your site again (dead links), as the 5m is just way too much info on the screen....however we also want to keep the other mapset's settings at "most".

mm
Ummmmm.......I was playing around with the .htaccess file and I think I may have blocked getright. Just trying to cut back on some bandwidth from bots and site rippers. V2 is still there.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 06 September 09 1:54 pm

Thanks for that...i see it downloads without getright now. :oops:

mm

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 10 September 09 3:45 pm

Dooghan wrote:
richary wrote:snip I don't have the link any more sorry.
SRTM (V2.1)

http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Australia/

ASTER GDEM

http://www.gdem.aster.ersdac.or.jp/

You have to register and then do a search - files are, as mentioned, geotiffs - they have to be converted for use with OziExplorer..not sure about other programs.

Cheers
Greg

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 17 September 09 10:59 pm

Sorry for the delay, but I downloaded the Mac version at work and burnt it onto DVD.

Installed on the laptop and it worked a charm.

Tried downloading again from the Mac and this time it's A-OK. Not sure what happened last time.

Haven't tried uploading into my Garmin from the Mac, but I'd say it's a safe bet that it's all good.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 18 September 09 9:05 am

Thanks Spindoc. Quite a few people have downloaded the Mac version. There is more Mac uses out there then I thought there was. As no one had said anything, I just took it no one was having any problems. It's good to get at least one report back saying what I thought.

NotHisRealName

Post by NotHisRealName » 18 September 09 9:39 pm

Wow! I'm very excited about the prospects of this.

I'm extremely new to GPS, having got a Garmin GPSMAP60CSx on Tuesday, (only found out about geocaching that night, and have been hooked ever since!) to be used (partly) for mapping out laser skirmish locations that I play at. However, could only get the 20m topo (with roads), so this will definitely help.

Downloading it now.

NotHisRealName

Post by NotHisRealName » 20 September 09 10:55 am

I got this working, and it is fantastic! Thank you very much for your hard work on this project.

A slightly unrelated question...

Is there any software around that lets you modify the track data in Mapsource, or Basecamp? I've a number of tracks that I recorded (yesterday), but on the PC the tracks are too big with the waypoints too obvious. I was hoping to reduce the size of the tracks to resemble a more realistic (cartographic'ly speaking) dotted line.

I'd also like to be able to overlay a grid that I can use for our IR (Laser) Skirmish Combat Simulations.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 20 September 09 2:06 pm

You might want to start a new thead for that question NotHisRealName and just keep this one about Contours Australia thanks. I'll be happy to give you answer to your question then.

Dooghan