Nokia E71 + Garmin Software + HEMA Maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mcmillan mob

Nokia E71 + Garmin Software + HEMA Maps

Post by mcmillan mob » 29 August 09 1:07 pm

I have a very reliable Garmin dedicated GPS that works well and used extensively on planned off road trips..

I have just upgraded my phone to a Nokia E71 and installed the Garmin software which works a treat on normal roads but misses out on most of the more interesting off-road applications.

It would be great to install my HEMA maps on the E71 for the times I'm caught with no GPS and want to get off road for a bit of geocaching as I always carry my phone.

Whilst not my first choice, has anyone managed to do this?

Lyndon

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Re: Nokia E71 + Garmin Software + HEMA Maps

Post by Indaweeds » 29 August 09 2:02 pm

You can put Garmin Topo Australia, OZTopo, Shonkymaps, Tracks4Australia, Open Street Maps or any other Garmin compatable maps on to MobileXT using Mapsource. I've got Topo Australia and OSM on my phone (Nokia 6110) and they work well.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 03 September 09 12:35 am

mcmillan mob wrote: I have just upgraded my phone to a Nokia E71 and installed the Garmin software which works a treat on normal roads but misses out on most of the more interesting off-road applications.
Hi mcmillian mob - That sounds interesting. What Garmin software are you using on the E71?

noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Post by noikmeister » 03 September 09 8:15 am

This is not an answer to your specific question, more a comment about the handset. If you are going to an area without mobile coverage I suggest that you get your GPS lock while still in a coverage area, even if you don't need it yet. It can take ages to get a lock when it can't use the A-GPS, but usually keeps the lock just fine if it already had it when mobile service drops off. Useful for those trips off the beaten track.

Cheers,
Jeremy.

thewhitedoggang
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by thewhitedoggang » 12 March 10 11:45 pm

Hey guys - may be a silly question. Is there a 'cacheberry' type app that I can put on the E71. We run a Garmin etrex, but nice to have cache notes along when on the road. Thanks in advance

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 13 March 10 6:45 am

thewhitedoggang wrote:Hey guys - may be a silly question. Is there a 'cacheberry' type app that I can put on the E71. We run a Garmin etrex, but nice to have cache notes along when on the road. Thanks in advance
Use SmartGPX. It is brilliant and I love it. It:
-Is free
-Imports your pocket queries into its own DB
-Can accept field notes against the cache
-Will mark your finds in your calendar and include the field notes
-Presents the cache description in a more nicely formatted view than Geocache Navigator
-Can integrate with your GPS chip to show nearest by GPS location (needs the add-on)

There are other features, but that is about all that I use.

Jezzza_Xtreme
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jezzza_Xtreme » 17 March 10 6:16 pm

I have a Nokia E71, and I use SmartGPX and Geocaching Live, but SmartGPX is really only when I'm out of service.

Geocaching Live can be a little annoying at times but it's pretty good. The maps aren't routable though, so I guess you'll need your garmin maps for that still.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 25 March 10 11:07 am

I've got a Nokia E66 that I use for geocaching. My primary software to date has been Trimble's Geocache Navigator but it doesn't have a GPX import function and a recent bug has meant you can't perform a search via 3G.
SmartGPX looks to be a decent replacement but the lack of a map function led me to search further afield. I'm currently experimenting with Trekbuddy but it takes a heck of a lot of effort to set up. Is anyone else out there using Trekbuddy on their mobile?