GARMIN DAKOTA 20

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
stringy

Re: GARMIN DAKOTA 20

Post by stringy » 07 November 09 9:02 pm

My next GPS will surely be one of those (DOKOTA 20).

My biggest concern is- is that it will do paperless if I am not a premium member.

And if it has as much of a good satelite reception as GPSMAP60scx

_RAAF_Stupot

Post by _RAAF_Stupot » 07 November 09 9:33 pm

stringy wrote:My next GPS will surely be one of those (DOKOTA 20).

My biggest concern is- is that it will do paperless if I am not a premium member.

And if it has as much of a good satelite reception as GPSMAP60scx
Well I have already paperlessly loaded a few caches in for searching tomorrow. =D> And I am certainly not premium!

As far as mapsource is concerned - it did not come on any discs in the box.

Only 1 CD that contains the Quickstart Guide & User Manual in about 10 languages was included. That is all.

All I want to do now is load a nice 5 m contour map that I have downloaded., because the stock map does not appear to have much on it apart from some roads.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 07 November 09 10:35 pm

_RAAF_Stupot wrote:All I want to do now is load a nice 5 m contour map that I have downloaded., because the stock map does not appear to have much on it apart from some roads.
The contour maps you have download are just detail contour maps and no other data. No roads, no POI, just contour lines. To load them on to your GPS will need Mapsource or sendmap or img2GPS.

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found

Post by The Swaggies » 07 November 09 10:55 pm

Just as an update to my original request for info, I bought an Oregon 300 over the Dakota. Even so the screen size still seems pretty small.

I am surprised it has not relegated the PDA to the dustbin though. I have noticed that when you read the cache info on the Oregon, the is no line spacing or paragraph formatting etc, so it does make it harder to read. The only time the Oregon is better than the PDA is on Traditional caches, otherwise on a multi I take the PDA as well.

I do like the quick startup though.

Also I am told I can disable the electronic compass, does anyone know how to do it if required?

Also how do I enter field notes into the Oregon?

stringy

Post by stringy » 08 November 09 8:11 am

_RAAF_Stupot wrote:Well I have already paperlessly loaded a few caches in for searching tomorrow. And I am certainly not premium!
Awesome! \:D/

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 08 November 09 2:22 pm

The Mapsource installation CD will have been in the box with your new Dakota 20. A thorough read through the user's manual would probably be a good idea.
:^o My mistake. I would have thought every new Garmin handheld with mapping would come with a copy of Mapsource. Looks like you have to buy it. :-k

What's in the Box:
◦Dakota 20
◦Lanyard
◦USB cable
◦Owner's manual on disk
◦Quick start manual

_RAAF_Stupot

Post by _RAAF_Stupot » 08 November 09 2:27 pm

Yeah I'm not having much real luck with this :x

I downloaded the sendmap program - when I used that all I got was an error message.

Then I tried the img2gps program and when I tried that, it did not recognise the USB connection. (which does definitely work because I have uploaded caches).......

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Echo
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 08 November 09 3:16 pm

PesceVerde wrote:
The Mapsource installation CD will have been in the box with your new Dakota 20. A thorough read through the user's manual would probably be a good idea.
:^o My mistake. I would have thought every new Garmin handheld with mapping would come with a copy of Mapsource. Looks like you have to buy it. :-k

Map source is free to download and well worth looking at getting.

Echo

Post by Echo » 08 November 09 3:26 pm

The Swaggies wrote:Just as an update to my original request for info, I bought an Oregon 300 over the Dakota. Even so the screen size still seems pretty small.

I am surprised it has not relegated the PDA to the dustbin though. I have noticed that when you read the cache info on the Oregon, the is no line spacing or paragraph formatting etc, so it does make it harder to read. The only time the Oregon is better than the PDA is on Traditional caches, otherwise on a multi I take the PDA as well.

Also I am told I can disable the electronic compass, does anyone know how to do it if required?

To turn off the compass, go to >setup >heading >compass auto/off

As for field notes, if you have a cache set to go to and press the "Geocaches" main option to get to the "Show Desc, Show logs" etc options, choose "Log Attempt" then mark as found, did not find etc, which will bring up "Find Next" "Done" & "Add Comment". The "Add Comment" option should be your field notes which you will still have to either add to GSAK or upload to the GC site.

Does that help? :-k

The Swaggies

Post by The Swaggies » 08 November 09 9:07 pm

Echo wrote:
The Swaggies wrote:Just as an update to my original request for info, I bought an Oregon 300 over the Dakota. Even so the screen size still seems pretty small.

To turn off the compass, go to >setup >heading >compass auto/off

As for field notes, if you have a cache set to go to and press the "Geocaches" main option to get to the "Show Desc, Show logs" etc options, choose "Log Attempt" then mark as found, did not find etc, which will bring up "Find Next" "Done" & "Add Comment". The "Add Comment" option should be your field notes which you will still have to either add to GSAK or upload to the GC site.

Does that help? :-k
I have tried all that but I still feel it is a bit clumsy. I use a little Sony dictaphone which runs for days on 2 AAA batteries for all cache logs and other info. This is much quicker to review, listen to what you have said previously, record up and coming wpt's etc. Does the Oregon have a voice record feature, now that would be handy!