iPhone Apps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: iPhone Apps

Post by CraigRat » 06 August 09 8:09 pm

red tag wrote:I just checked - you can definitely load GCA caches into geosphere (but only an unzipped file) by direct download. Interestingly a .gpx file generated by GSAK works much better (you get all the inform0ation) than downloading direct from GCA (you only get waypoint data). Is there any difference between the two files I wonder?
Yes,
Geocaching.com's GPX files are actually non-standard (that is, they don't adhere to the GPX standard 100% by using what they call custom namespaces), but most apps support this (the gc.com version), and not the actual GPX standard......

GSAK knows how to read our GPXs (and navicaches/terracaches GPX files too...) and when you export from GSAK it actually puts it into groundspeaks format.... which will work with 99.9% of geocachign apps that can take GPX files.

We don't output in groundspeaks formats as we are not 100% sure about the actual legality of using their format. One day we will look in to it further...

I can't see us coming out with a iPhone app, the closed/locked down philosphy of Apple in regards to development of apps disgusts me. (I am working on an Android phone app, and we probably will make a version of the website tailored to smart phones in the near future)

Anyhow, back to the Topic: iPhone apps:

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 06 August 09 11:32 pm

ok loaded geosphere, but can't find a way to link the iphone to the pc so a gpx file will go to the phone that way. Have tried to send a gpx file through email but iphone email wont open the attachment.

ETA

Got it now, means i have to email the gpx file to myself, and open it differently but it works and looks great. Will have to try it this weekend

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 August 09 8:27 am

red tag wrote:I just checked - you can definitely load GCA caches into geosphere (but only an unzipped file) by direct download. Interestingly a .gpx file generated by GSAK works much better (you get all the information) than downloading direct from GCA (you only get waypoint data). Is there any difference between the two files I wonder?
I doubt whether the groundspeak app will ever allow downloads from another source other than GC.com! Even a Whereigo app is probably going to be a separate app!
Yes. GC GPX files use the custom Groundspeak namespaces, we don't. Theirs is "propietary", ours is free and open. The built their devices for their files to frustrate people who get GPX files from other sources. Theirs is closed. Ours conforms to the open standard as defined by topografix.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 11 August 09 7:59 am

Have now cached with an iphone!!

THe geosphere app is brilliant, will take a gsak file and accuracy was spot on. Found a traditional and a multi yesterday, the app has the facility to alter waypoints or add child waypoints to a cache. Mrs CP used it to get to the gz on the multi and she loved it too.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 12 August 09 9:33 am

I think Geosphere would be the app to get.

Initial impressions from the screenshots is that it appears very similar to the groundspeak app, but uses stored data (from the GPX file) rather than using data to retrieve the details from groundspeak.

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of Geosphere and bought the groundspeak app.

Looks like I'll now be buying Geosphere as well.

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 12 August 09 11:51 am

yeah i bought them both too.

Keep groundspeak, it will load instant notifications and can be used to check status and logs that are mor recent than your gsak download

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 12 August 09 2:06 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote:yeah i bought them both too.

Keep groundspeak, it will load instant notifications and can be used to check status and logs that are mor recent than your gsak download
Being a country bumpkin, coverage isn't so good in some of the places we venture, so groundspeak app won't be useful, which is where the Geosphere app would be most useful.

WaldenClan
1600 or more caches found

Post by WaldenClan » 13 August 09 8:55 pm

Ive been following this thread with interest and decided to try out the geosphere software. Like Jardry, we are in a rural area and phone signal can be patchy at times.
I purchased the software and after a few minutes playing with it, I hit it with a 10mb gpx file from GSAK!!
It handled it like a champion and i was quickly viewing the GCA & GC caches on my iPhone. :D :D . Now i just have to try it out in the field. 8)

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 14 August 09 10:03 am

i already have works a charm :lol:

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 24 August 09 9:18 am

I thought I'd post another positive experience about the Geosphere app.

I uploaded a 14 mB GSAK file via Box.net without any problems. We found 25 caches yesterday in areas with patchy (and no) phone reception. The Geosphere app handled beautifully and wasn't the slowest link in the get-out-of-the-car-and-look-for-the-cache chain (which the Geocaching app often was). Even with 2000-odd waypoints loaded, the search functions handled well and returned results quickly. I like some of additional fields that the Geosphere app gives (when compared to the official Geocaching app). However, I think the 'set as target' option should be at the top of the screen somewhere, rather than the bottom, as I would have saved myself about 50 swipes of the thumb.

Do I still need the Geocaching app? I think so. As long as there is decent phone coverage, it's still the easiest way to check for new caches or check for caches in an area that hasn't been preloaded to the phone. In areas with patchy phone coverage, it's also worth using the 'Save for offline' option in the geocaching app.

WaldenClan

Post by WaldenClan » 24 August 09 10:11 pm

I agree with all your points nomad_penguin. I have found the geosphere to be an excellent tool for preparing a big day.
I have only had one issue. I have had problems uploading my field notes. It requires a few more steps than the geocaching app, and it has failed more time than it has worked. I found that its best not to use the auto delete feature until you are sure they have uploaded. Most times it has uploaded my find, but not sent any notes with it, which requires me to retype my notes.
Otherwise great app. =D>

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 25 August 09 8:41 am

Or just put the cache notes in the geosphere app to hold them, then type them into the website when you get back.

stealth_ninja_penguin
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 26 August 09 9:19 pm

Okay so where did people get their iphones from? Any good deals out there?

What about the ml_ipod app? Has anyone tried that one?