Which GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Which GPS to buy?

Post by GJMMelb » 08 June 09 12:23 pm

Hi all, we are brand new to this Geocaching (introduced by a friend a while back and now want to take the plunge...) :lol:
So we are wanting to buy a GPS that can be used for geocaching and in the car for finding our way around Melbourne etc. We'd like it to have spoken street names and a reasonable size screen for using in the car and be able to download updated maps.

um what else do I need it to have for geocaching and any suggestions as to what we should buy?? Hooking up to the PC would be an advantage.
We would like to keep the price to around $350 or less if possible :D :D :D Do you think thats possible?? :lol:

Thanks in advance!!
Jen
GJMMelb

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 08 June 09 5:49 pm

Most in-car units will navigate you happily enough to a carpark near GZ but fall down when you're on foot looking for the cache

Having said that, there are some enthusiastic advocates for using the Garmin Nuvi in and out of the car

Have a read of this website http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

YMMV
Just stay away from Magellans whatever you do :wink:

squalid

Post by squalid » 08 June 09 10:34 pm

It's a pretty big ask to get all of that for $350, and the caching requirements for me are slightly different from in-car navigation.

Any GPSr that comes caching with me has to be fairly rugged, and easy to use one handed.

My Nokia N95 running Garmin Mobile XT fulfils all but one of your requirements (except screensize), but it is way too frail to be used as the primary GPS, although it does come along for the ride safe in my backpack.

Any of the latest handhelds are good for caching, and most do in-car navigation, but without the voice.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 09 June 09 11:40 am

Mmmm it sounds like we might be better off getting 2 different ones!! Thanks for your help guys!! :D

PS Just in case people were wondering why we havent asked our friend - he is my husband's, brother's, Mother-In-Law's, Brother-in-law !!!!! So hence we dont get to see him that often. lol When my husband last saw him about 6 months ago he only asked about the hand held ones but since then we have decided we want a car one as well and had hoped we would be able to get one that would combine the both.... :? never mind lol

Thanks again to rhinogeo and squalid for your advice!! :)

Ksix
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Ksix » 09 June 09 2:13 pm

GJMMelb,

We started off caching using a Garmin Nuvi 310 and found it a great unit (found our first 350+ caches with it). Provided you are not "too rough" with it and keep it out of the water, it will definitely get you started in this obsession we call "geocaching".

There are plenty of GSAK macros etc that you can use to load caches as POI's in the NUVI so you can use it as a paperless device as well.

We have since moved on from the Nuvi to an Oregon 300 and just love this GPSr. This unit is a bit more than your $350 limit, but well worth the extra $$$ in our opinion.

Cheers,
Ksix
"Eat... Sleep... Geocache..."

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 09 June 09 10:13 pm

gps australia has oregon 200's for $349

whack some routable maps on there and your off paperless caching