garmin oregon 300

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
nibbler
450 or more roots tripped over

garmin oregon 300

Post by nibbler » 06 April 09 10:56 pm

Hi

Just having a problem with my garmin Oregon 300. It keeps appending waypoints . I have deleted all GSAK files that I can find , have reset using via setup --. reset.
Have removed all files from the trash container as advise via the garmin forum.
Running beta version 2.95 software.

Cant down load an individual file to via GSAK--> highlight cache --> right click send to Gpsr. dont know where it goes but its not to the GPS

Iam using a aspire one netbook . windows .have installed communicator.

what i want to do is remove all caches from GPS load another set via pocket query and then just load individual one sthat are missing via GSAK . dont want those caches loaded previously with a pocket query

Each time GPS connected to pc I have selected OK to mass storage device . Loaded the GSAK file to the SD card . Even tried just adding it otteh GPX folder under device. Still appending even though I have reset,removed all files and gone back to device it says no geocaches found.

Whats goin on?

any help would be appreciated :roll:

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 06 April 09 11:16 pm

I had similar issues with my Colorado after upgrading GSAK. Fixed by clearing everything out, and doing a hard reset (not too sure whether this is the same as the reset you mention).

Next I do a gsak File->export->GPX/Loc, and then selecting GPX file version 1.0. The 1.0. version seems to be OK with the unit, whereas v2 isn't.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 06 April 09 11:34 pm

did a hard reset still appending .

Ksix
500 or more caches logged

Post by Ksix » 07 April 09 1:52 pm

Check the file size of the GPX file you are copying to the unit. :)

I had very similar trouble about 2 weeks ago and I read somewhere that the unit can have trouble if individual GPX files are greater than 6mb-8mb (although this is not a firm upper limit). :shock:

Once I reduced the number of logs for each cache (between 5-10 for each cache I think I have it set up to now) and also reduced the total number of caches in the single GPX file to under a 1000, the final size of my GPX file is under 6mb and it worked fine for me. :D :D (you can still go up to the 2000 waypoint limit - just put them in a couple of files rather than 1 single GPX file)

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ksix
"Eat... Sleep... Geocache..."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 07 April 09 3:03 pm

files are 97kb 1750kb 6 kb and 1kb so its not the size

by the vby how do you resrict teh number of logs

Ksix

Post by Ksix » 08 April 09 2:12 pm

Those file sizes shouldn't cause a problem with the unit.

To restrict the number of logs you export, it is a GSAK setting that can be altered during the export process (at work at the moment and don't have GSAK here with me, so sorry I can't tell you exactly how to do it), but I'm sure the setting is on the screen that comes up when you go to File | Export... | GPX.

The following URL gives some more information about the Oregon and Waypoints/POI's etc. (This is where I read about the file size limit).
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/page/code/geocaching

Not sue it it will help at all, but it provides a lot of good info about the Oregon.

Cheers,
Ksix

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 April 09 2:18 pm

thanks for the link and info will try agin tonight and reduce teh size of caches in the PQ to see if that helps

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 April 09 9:18 pm

Thanks to all who took the time to suggest a fix.

Finally got the right answers by doing a full rest of the garmin with out the SD card.
Cleared all files form the SDS card before turning the garmin back on.
Then reduced number of caches in the PQ

Works a treat ....Come on Easter !!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D