Garmin Oregon 300 not recognised

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Garmin Oregon 300 not recognised

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 March 09 7:47 am

Has anyone had issues with their Oregon not being recognised as a USB drive?<P>I went out caching yesterday afternoon and came home to do my logs, went to plug it in and it came up as not recognised. I went through the Oregon Diagnostic screens (they are pretty neat) and then did a forced master reset no change. I tried changing USB cords to a non Garmin one. I then tried it on another two computers and same thing.<P> Any thought comments or help before I try the Garmin line would be appreaciated...

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 18 March 09 8:08 am

Before plugging the USB in try with the Oregon turned off , if nothing happens then turn the unit on before plugging the USB in.

Or take the batteries out for a few minutes and try again

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 March 09 11:21 am

Thanks Skippy and Lambchops. I had tried the first one but not pulling the batteries. Just had them out for half an hour and still no good.<P>I rang Garmin, went through everything. The response was send it to them, all when I had a good weekend planned as well!

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 18 March 09 5:55 pm

Have you tried this one?

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.85:

* Added ability to force the Oregon into mass storage mode by holding the power button for 30 seconds while plugged into a USB cable

PS I am on 2.93 beta.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 March 09 6:17 pm

SecretSquirrel-BJC wrote: force the Oregon into mass storage mode by holding the power button for 30 seconds while plugged into a USB cable
max coordination :shock: :lol: :lol: Doesnt it just appear as another drive on my computer :?: :?: usb cords are generic, if not seen you could reload the Garmin driver :!: are you using the same usb port every time :?: :?: Rambling but they are some common causes

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 18 March 09 10:50 pm

SecretSquirrel-BJC wrote:Have you tried this one? <BR>Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.85:<BR>
* Added ability to force the Oregon into mass storage mode by holding the power button for 30 seconds while plugged into a USB cable
<P>I would love to but without it being visible to the computer there is no way you can upgrade the firmware :( (Silly design) I did also try holding the power button, the problem isn't with it going into mass storage mode. I normally run it in Garmin Spanner mode so I can use the USB port as a power source. I found this note on a page to try and force it to be recognised which is exactly what you are talking about but it didn't work.<P>
Mr Router wrote: usb cords are generic, if not seen you could reload the Garmin driver :!: are you using the same usb port every time :?: :?: Rambling but they are some common causes
<P>Unfortunately the Oregon USB drivers come in an .exe file and without the program finding the GPS there is no way to force the installation of the driver. <P>I do typically use the same port but I tried it in every port and in each port of another computer with no joy.<P>Thanks to all for your help but I put it in an airbag off to Garmin this afternoon as I need it back for Bathurst in a week and a half! Bummer I didn't have it for Dubbo this weekend....

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 30 March 09 3:12 pm

A Brand Spanking New 300 arrived on Friday (too bad I was already in Bathurst). I can't complain on the service, now I just have to get all my software changed to the new unit.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 30 March 09 4:06 pm

big_matt wrote:A Brand Spanking New 300 arrived on Friday (too bad I was already in Bathurst). I can't complain on the service, now I just have to get all my software changed to the new unit.
Well done on the brand spanker 8) bummer it was not a 400, like we spoke of :oops:

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 30 March 09 5:49 pm

I know but, a working accurate GPS is better than nothing at all so I'm not complaining! :D

Big Matt and Shell

Re: Garmin Oregon 300 not recognised

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 13 February 10 10:07 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon, nine months after the replacement arrived it has pooped itself again.

Still waiting on a response from Garmin as to if they will fix or replace. I may even have to buy a new unit and software as the warranty is only valid for one year from the original unit purchase. Needless to say if this is the case, I'll not be happy!

I only managed 1500 finds, not a great efficiency in my book.