Garmin Map 60 CSx

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Garmin Map 60 CSx

Post by MalanDi » 27 January 09 1:40 pm

I am after some help with a problem with the above unit.
I bought my unit in Jan 08 and within a short period when restarted it would not find satellites.
i.e. it would not go past the acquiring satellites mode.
This was sent back to the supplier who duly replaced it with another.
This worked well for a few weeks and then developed the same problem.
I found that I was able to start it manually by turning off GPS function and then turn on GPS.
While this was frustrating it did the trick.
However, this unit would wander. That is it would not hold a position and as a result whilst walking more than 4 hundred yards toward a cache I would turn on turn off as I was walking to get a true reading.
After arriving back home from an extended holiday I sent this unit back as well.
The replacement unit ( he told me it was new unit out of the box) worked a treat for 3 days but now will not go past the Acquiring satellites mode!!
Does anyone have any thoughts about why 3 separate units are manifesting the same problem?
I am using rechargeable batteries , but on a direct connection in the car it doe's not make any difference.
So am I just unlucky or am I doing something very very wrong?
Malcolm

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 27 January 09 2:36 pm

The two GPS60CSx units I've used [first one broke the LCD display during an altercation with concrete], have shown no signs of such behaviour during start-up.

Are your replacement units actually replacements [check the serial number/s]?
Are you 'dialling in' the unit as per all the instructions?

I use rechargeable NiMH [Nickel Metal Hydride] batteries and find they work well, but also notice that miscellaneous 'stuff' [ie: compass, unit speed, etc] starts happening when the battery charge runs low.

Hope this is some help.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 27 January 09 6:04 pm

Have you set it to rechargable batteries. I'm not sure if this makes a difference in the car or not.

Are you using it every day? Is it turned on when you travel? If you have traveled substantially in space or time since last turning on try the new location option (automatic) from the menu at the aquiring satellites screen.

firesafe
10000 or more caches found

Post by firesafe » 27 January 09 6:28 pm

Another option is to update the software in the unit - there has been a couple of updates in the last 12 months including one in July to version 3.7 and the GPS should be V3

Updates can be found at http://www8.garmin.com/support/collecti ... 0-00422-00

The best way is to connect to your computer and use the Webupdater

If

Velly strange

Post by If » 28 January 09 10:39 pm

My money's on "you're doing something wrong" :shock:
It won't be batteries. Either they have enough charge to run the GPS or they don't.
Not meaning to be mean, but ..... are you using the unit outdoors !!
:shock:
Are you a member of Generation Y and prone to impatience ?
When first switched on out of the box the GPSr can take up to 15 mins to acquire the satellites for the first time :)
Try turning off the "Lock to Roads" function :D
If "Lock to Roads" is turned on, ie: the default setting out of the box, the all sorts of weird things happen as you wander around the bushes. That is the position indicator will stubbornly stick to the nearby road and not show your true position on the map.
Another problemo is that if you don't leave the batteries in the unit while it is sitting around in the cupboard for a few weeks, it forgets where it was and the 15 minutes or so time to acquire the satellites for the first time mucking about happens all over again :x
And last but most of all least Mal...... if it don't work then read the instructions :wink:

I doubt that helped, but I got to relive a few GPS bloopers, I have suffered over the years :D

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 29 January 09 9:13 am

G'day MalanDi,
I suspect that your problem lies with the software. I had the intermittent problem of my 60Csx not being able to search for satellites. One day it would work fine, the next day it couldn't find one single satellite. Once I checked my software version, I found that it was reading 0.00, where it should have been reading 3.00. It got to the stage that before I had to go away someplace, I would reload the software version just in case it was ready to do it again. I've now found a software version that works great and it I haven't had to update it since last year.<br><br>

Check out Garmin's website and download the latest software and see how that goes. To find what version you're running.....go to SETUP/SYSTEM/ and then press the menu button and go down to SOFTWARE VERSION. The version I'm currently running is Software Version 3.60......GPS SW Version 3.00. It took me a couple of goes to find the right one, but once you do it will save you a lot of hassles.<br><br>

I hope it works out for you.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 29 January 09 1:02 pm

Perchance is the time and date showing correctly? I have just performed an update on mine, and it now shows the wrong date/time. I am going to let it sit out to acquire the sats again of its own accord. ie, do the 15 minute thing

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 29 January 09 6:20 pm

I used to get an issue where the time and date would get messed up on my Etrex, if it did not have good stat coverage for extended periods of time. The only way I could put it right was with a bit of software that someone gave me that they got from Garmin. If anyone needs or think this software will be of any use, PM me and I will send you a copy.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 29 January 09 8:22 pm

Both halfs of the routers now have 60's :D dont know how we found caches without one ! top stuff, both are fully up to date with the vitals and ready to go :!: That the secret :wink:

MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Thanks for your input.

Post by MalanDi » 29 January 09 11:48 pm

Thanks everyone. I rang Garmin today and they said there is nothing that I can do and for it to be returned. Very odd about the same symptoms manifesting on three separate units though. I bought through Menai Marine in NSW and he has been most helpful so far.
M.

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 06 February 09 2:46 pm

Hi Mal have you tried adding an external antenna

MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by MalanDi » 26 March 09 6:51 pm

Well the saga continues! The unit went back to the supplier (Menai Marine with whom I am completely satisfied) and he contacted Garmin who gave the following advice. Update the Firmware. He did this and it was returned.
Great , turn it on and it would fire up every time----- for four days!!!!
So I did the same , updated Firmware and Bingo.
HOWEVER, this needs to be done EVERY TIME I turn it off or change batteries. No problems if you are at home but when on the road a internet connection is not readily available. Viva McDonalds.

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 27 March 09 3:59 pm

Mal I have an idea, post the GPS to me and make sure you get insurance on it. I can be pretty sure it will never arrive and your problem will be solved.

Marcus Vitruvius

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 30 March 09 11:13 pm

Hey Mal,
Have you installed version 3.60. I know it's an older version, but mine still works great.

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 31 March 09 2:07 pm

<p>:?: ...<br>
If you're not already doing so, turn off the GPSr [using the OFF button] BEFORE removing the batteries. Aternatively, run the batteries dead before <strike>removing</strike> touching them, and keep a spare set of fully-charged batteries for when you need them. <br>
</p>

<p>If you've got a memory like mine, you could keep a record of 'events' from Day1 to help trace the problem. eg: <br>

Turned ON<br>
Found cache Z , and pressed buttons D and E, etc.<br>
Turned OFF<br>
Turned ON<br>
Changed setting A<br>
Turned OFF<br>
Changed batteries</p>

<p>Next time, check the last thing that you did to the GPSr, prior to experiencing the problem. finis</p>