Shonkymaps-transfer from MAC to GPS help

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
bushbandits

Shonkymaps-transfer from MAC to GPS help

Post by bushbandits » 03 January 09 9:46 pm

OK. I have downloaded the topo and it works in Bobcat. How do i get the map into my vista HCx? I have a 4mb sd card on hot standby.

Thanks

CaleD
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CaleD » 03 January 09 10:36 pm

Hi bushbandits,
Bobcat is now RoadTrip (it's out of beta) so make sure you've grabbed the latest version from Garmin.

If I remember correctly, RoadTrip cannot actually send maps to the GPS. It can receive track and waypoint information, but I don't believe there is the ability to send map files. I use a copy of Trip and Waypoint Manager that came with my CSx to get them across (running through BootCamp), but I believe there are also other alternatives (such as MapInstall for Mac, found here http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/ ) that will also do the job. It has been a while since I have used MapInstall, so I'm not sure how the interface compares to Trip and Waypoint Manager, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

bushbandits

Post by bushbandits » 04 January 09 6:48 am

I'll check it out. Thanks. we have a busy day today hunting and gathering (the usual things bandits get up to :wink:

rediguana
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by rediguana » 04 January 09 12:11 pm

CaledD is on-the-mark.

1. Run Garmin MapManager and point it at the Shonky gmapi file that you downloaded. This will install the map in the correct location so that Garmin software on the Mac knows where it is (MapInstall, RoadTrip, TrainingCenter).

2. Run Garmin MapInstall and it will allow you to select which tiles and maps you wish to install to the device. Once selected, it will process them and send them to the GPS. MapInstall is fairly self-explanatory to use - it is basically a wizard to guide you through the map installation process.

Cheers Gav

bushbandits

Post by bushbandits » 04 January 09 12:30 pm

I picked up a 2 GB card and it was recognized and downloaded. Thanks, we're off to 'bandit' some more caches.