OziCE Help Wanted (Closed)

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

OziCE Help Wanted

Post by ian-and-penny » 10 June 04 2:33 pm

Hi All,

I asked this on a Yahoo forum, so please forgive me if you have seen the request already.
<p>
My current set-up is a CF GPS and IPAQ running OziCE. The maps I am using are properly calibrated as AGD66, and the moving map pointer correctly shows my location.
<p>
When using OziExplorer Desktop, under the tool buttons, is a status line that shows the position of the cursor in lat/long & UTM. This display can be configured to show the cursor position using any available datum.
<p>
In OziCE however, the corresponding status line gives the co-ordinates at the cursor (Centre of the screen). But it seems to me that these co-ordinates are based on the datum of the currently loaded map.
<p>
I would like to change this display so that it gives WGS84 co-ordinates NOT co-ordinates based on the calibrated datum.
<p>
Is there a solution ?
<p>
Regards
<p>
Ian

The S's
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by The S's » 10 June 04 6:08 pm

Hi Ian

We are using a similar setup and experience the same problem.

We would also like know of the solution.

We find that when we download cache waypoints from OziExplorer (on the PC) it automatically converts/changes them to the correct base map. And when we load them in OziExplorerCE they are positioned correctly against the base map.

As far as entering waypoints into OziExplorerCE when in the field, we have been doing a manual calculation to the coordinates and then altering them through the edit function.

This is obviously this is far from ideal but have no success at discovering anything better.

The only other thing that I did find that helped was a method of converting the base map datum into WGS 84, it is a very slow and laborious task, and I have not had the time to make all of the new map files that would be needed. This method is here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/message/17609

Have you looked on GPSOZ http://www.gpsoz.com.au/ there is a fair bit of info here. (Again I have not had time to go through it all)

Derringer
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 11 June 04 3:01 pm

I experienced the same problem
I have been told on the OzeCE forum that you cannot change the datum of the loaded map, at this stage.
As for plotting new waypoints I use a little (free) utility called G7toCE
which will convert datums for you.
It is available from http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/
I find it very useful
Kevin

binns1012
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

changing datum

Post by binns1012 » 11 June 04 11:12 pm

The S's wrote:Hi Ian

We are using a similar setup and experience the same problem.

We would also like know of the solution.

We find that when we download cache waypoints from OziExplorer (on the PC) it automatically converts/changes them to the correct base map. And when we load them in OziExplorerCE they are positioned correctly against the base map.

As far as entering waypoints into OziExplorerCE when in the field, we have been doing a manual calculation to the coordinates and then altering them through the edit function.

This is obviously this is far from ideal but have no success at discovering anything better.

The only other thing that I did find that helped was a method of converting the base map datum into WGS 84, it is a very slow and laborious task, and I have not had the time to make all of the new map files that would be needed. This method is here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/message/17609

Have you looked on GPSOZ http://www.gpsoz.com.au/ there is a fair bit of info here. (Again I have not had time to go through it all)
I thought I saw in the Ozie forum where it said to load the waypoint into the World Map which comes with Ozi CE and then when you go to more detailed map it does the convertion for you, hope this helps
regards Tony

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 24 June 04 12:26 am

Yes - OziCE displays everything in the datum of the currently loaded map. You cannot get it to display using a different datum to the map like you can on the PC version.

As other posters have said, if you want to edit a waypoint (etc) using a different datum you can always open the wpt file up in g7toce.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 24 June 04 9:21 am

Thanks all for your replies.

I think that the (short term) solution is to temporarily load a map calibrated in WGS84 (demo world map) read the co-ords & reload the detailed map.

(Moderators, how do I close this thread?)

Thanks

Ian