Please bring me up to date... All advice welcome

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 January 09 7:08 pm

It would be appreciated if people could please post to the forums using their usual accounts please.

Sock Puppetry really isn't appreciated.

Post by Guest » 04 January 09 7:14 pm

rhinogeo wrote: ... and we're all dazzled by your sagacity df2 but how does it help Leek buy a new GPSr? :?
I'm yet to see an argument from him that isn't subjective against an all in one device, that controdicts my suggestion that people will accept mediocre for a more convient option, even he buys into this to some extent or he'd be using medium format ;)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 January 09 7:16 pm

Maybe he is saying dont get starry eyes when buying :shock: :lol: :lol:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 04 January 09 7:18 pm

CraigRat wrote:It would be appreciated if people could please post to the forums using their usual accounts please.

Unless you have tracked ip proof thats a big call :twisted: I was joking :!:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 04 January 09 7:22 pm

Mr Router wrote:
CraigRat wrote:It would be appreciated if people could please post to the forums using their usual accounts please.

Unless you have tracked ip proof thats a big call :twisted: I was joking :!:
IP's are logged against posts

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 04 January 09 7:23 pm

Shall I track it or shall you :?:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 04 January 09 7:27 pm

Mr Router wrote:Shall I track it or shall you :?:
We know who it is, I'll just re-iterate: It would be appreciated if people could please post to the forums using their usual accounts please.

Please continue with the topic

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 04 January 09 7:36 pm

You little hacker tracker, is that why you are a moderator :?:

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Re: Please bring me up to date... All advice welcome

Post by Map Monkey » 04 January 09 7:41 pm

leek wrote:Is there any device that I could use for geocaching, but that would also give me friendly travel directions in my car? :lol:
WB Leek,

As you can see things have changed since you were around :roll: :lol:

If i could ask, what do you consider friendly travel directions? Do you need full voice prompts or will short beeps/blurps/honks be sufficient? Most of the handheld GPSr's seem to do beeps only as they don't contain audio dohickey stuff in them (probably not much different to your old GPSr). Voice navigation seems to be more focused on the in-car navigation side of things, with less focus on "Geocaching Friendliness" from these units. As to the perfect beast, i do not know, however i use my Garmin Oregon for both vehicle navigation and Geocaching with good success (100% of caches found have been logged :lol: ) It seems to be based on the Nuvi software to some degree.

Just my thoughts. YMMV

Why can't you ask an easier question next time? :roll: :lol:

mm

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 04 January 09 8:03 pm

It was discussed on Podcacher some time last year and a quick google revealed a good guide to geocaching with a a Garmin Nuvi here

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

That's if you want voice guided navigation with a Garmin (therefore superior :wink:) device :P

Post by Guest » 04 January 09 8:22 pm

rhinogeo wrote:(therefore superior :wink:) device :P
dems fighting words :P

Actually I'm curious, what GPS chipset does Garmin use in their devices, since realisitically accuracy of the device is only as good as its chipset, unless you are talking about benefits of the interfaces, although there is heaps of GPS J2ME apps that give you interfaces in almost everyway you can think...

totalube
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 04 January 09 8:32 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
rhinogeo wrote: ... and we're all dazzled by your sagacity df2 but how does it help Leek buy a new GPSr? :?
I'm yet to see an argument from him that isn't subjective against an all in one device, that contradicts my suggestion that people will accept mediocre for a more convenient option, even he buys into this to some extent or he'd be using medium format ;)
Firstly I think accepting convenience and mediocrity over quality is an extremely sad state to be in, lets hope people don't start settling for that. That would be awful. Could you image mediocre family photos.

I am saying that a stand alone GPSr is a class above a mobile phone with built in GPS, less prone to failure and crashes. I have owned 3 stand alone GPSr and even the most basic was much better than my Nokia 6110. If I was keen to get back into geocaching I would get a dedicated device over a "jack of all trades" device.

As for medium format film, let not go into that. As to optics, no matter how good your resolution will be, it can never compare with real optics, the electronics help, but if you don't have the aperture to allow the light required it doesn't matter, the larger the lens the better.

Therefore a digital camera small lens can never hope to compete with a 60mm lens opening allowing optical zoom. When the electronics get better they will also be used in real camera and mobile phone cameras.

People should never accept mediocrity!!

Post by Guest » 04 January 09 9:01 pm

totalube wrote:Firstly I think accepting convenience and mediocrity over quality is an extremely sad state to be in, lets hope people don't start settling for that. That would be awful. Could you image mediocre family photos.
It's happened for decades with those disposable cameras, then cheap digital cameras with low quality and now mobile phones, what else is new?
I am saying that a stand alone GPSr is a class above a mobile phone with built in GPS, less prone to failure and crashes. I have owned 3 stand alone GPSr and even the most basic was much better than my Nokia 6110. If I was keen to get back into geocaching I would get a dedicated device over a "jack of all trades" device.
So you are basing your entire knowledge of the subject on one mobile phone that is prone to crashing compared to 3 GPS receivers?
As for medium format film, let not go into that. As to optics, no matter how good your resolution will be, it can never compare with real optics, the electronics help, but if you don't have the aperture to allow the light required it doesn't matter, the larger the lens the better.
As I said, they are developing liquid optical technology for mobile phones that will allow optical zoom, new technology comes along all the time, nothing new here ;)
Therefore a digital camera small lens can never hope to compete with a 60mm lens opening allowing optical zoom. When the electronics get better they will also be used in real camera and mobile phone cameras.
No imagination, you assume that only glass can be used as a lens. See above.
People should never accept mediocrity!!
But you are accepting mediocricy at some level in lue of size, otherwise you would be using medium format cameras, you are making the same argument as me actually, just in a slightly larger form, but you are still trading size/convenience for something.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 January 09 9:13 pm

Enough with the side discussions on photography in this thread. Take it to a new thread if you want to keep at it.

Please keep to the topic at hand which is to assist Leek in determining a new strategy for a GPS purchase.

Post by Guest » 04 January 09 9:26 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Please keep to the topic at hand which is to assist Leek in determining a new strategy for a GPS purchase.
Okie Dokie...

As far as I've seen with my BB 8310, when I used it, the accuracy was great, I compared it to a survey marker (at best guess within 1m under light-medium tree foliage -- depending on birds over head), combined with A-GPS this should in theory give better accuracy then GPS especially in tunnels, buildings, urban canyon and other areas GPS normally fails.

The 8310 is stable, unless you load bodge software ;)

There is numerous pieces of software of J2ME or BB specifically, but as I said before upgrading the GPSr might be the cheapest/best option for him.