Free Sat Nav for your phone

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
totalube
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 03 January 09 7:18 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
totalube wrote:If you have A-GPS on it will use the data connection. I have turned it off on my phone, and it still connects fine and is accurate enough for road navigation.
Do you know which carriers in Australia and under what circumstances actually charge for A-GPS data?
As far as I know A-GPS data is charged as per normal data rates. Haven't really looked into it as I think the benefits of A-GPS are minimal (for my uses)

Post by Guest » 03 January 09 7:22 pm

totalube wrote:As far as I know A-GPS data is charged as per normal data rates. Haven't really looked into it as I think the benefits of A-GPS are minimal (for my uses)
As far as I understand it, the A-GPS info comes from the carrier, time to pester Vodafone about this I guess. The benefit with A-GPS is time to lock should be much smaller, and potentially more accurate in areas with lots of buildings/trees but decent network coverage.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 04 January 09 12:26 am

totalube wrote:As far as I know A-GPS data is charged as per normal data rates. Haven't really looked into it as I think the benefits of A-GPS are minimal (for my uses)
Without A-GPS Lock-on time for my N95 was ~4 minutes, effectively making it unusable as an in car navigation device. With A-GPS on it takes less than 30 seconds. It uses very little data. Unless you have a dodgy mobile carrier with ridiculous data rates it won't cost you much at all.

Post by Guest » 04 January 09 1:20 am

zactyl wrote:Without A-GPS Lock-on time for my N95 was ~4 minutes, effectively making it unusable as an in car navigation device. With A-GPS on it takes less than 30 seconds. It uses very little data. Unless you have a dodgy mobile carrier with ridiculous data rates it won't cost you much at all.
At least one carrier is offering 1G/mo for $15...