New GPS: Vista HCx or 60CSx?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 09 December 08 10:46 pm

tronador wrote::D :D :D :D
thanks all done. One question though. when i sent all the waypoints across from GSAK the y are now only listed in the waypoints and not geocache menu on my vista???? :shock:
Why???? I did read that you can only set up 1 type of cache type and they recommend traditionals is this why?????
Yes. The 'geocaching' function will only work for the 'traditional' caches ... not even traditional micros

So search for waypoints and you'll see them all. If you want to use the 'geocaching' functions you have to change the symbol to traditional before you do the GO TO ... a small price to pay for the convenience of having all cache types represented by their respective symbols I reckon :wink:

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 10 December 08 10:17 pm

Can't wait ><

Wonder when it'll arrive.

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 11 December 08 12:49 pm

rhinogeo wrote:If you want to use the 'geocaching' functions you have to change the symbol to traditional before you do the GO TO ... a small price to pay for the convenience of having all cache types represented by their respective symbols I reckon :wink:
The manual implies you can set multiple symbols as geocaches. From page 45 of http://www.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLege ... Manual.pdf: "2. Select the symbol fields if you want to assign other symbols"

murf
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by murf » 11 December 08 1:27 pm

While I havent used a VistaHCx, i'm pretty sure the firmware is somewhat similar to that of the 60CSx. In which case, the wording in the manual does imply that you can have multiple symbols, but unfortunately it only means 2. One for "Unfound" and one for "Found".

Have a look at page 82 of:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP60C ... Manual.pdf
to see what I mean.

It would be very nice if both the Vista and the 60series supported multiple "Unfound" symbols in Geocaching mode, but as far as I am aware, there is no way to do it. As rhinogeo mentioned, you can load up your geocaches as waypoints with different symbols for different types, then when you are selecting the waypoint you want to search for, you can change the symbol on that waypoint to be the "Unfound" symbol. This will then allow you to use "Geocaching mode" with that waypoint. The only functionality that you lose using this method is the "Find Next", as it will only display the next nearest "Geocache" (ie, waypoint with the "Unfound" symbol).

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 15 December 08 12:28 pm

Still hasn't come yet ;_; :cry: ;(

Post by Guest » 15 December 08 12:56 pm

mickal555 wrote:Still hasn't come yet ;_; :cry: ;(
It's xmas time and all postal/courier services get slower from the volume.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 15 December 08 3:23 pm

It's only been a week though ... give it the full 10 days before you get too disheartened :wink:

I ordered my Vista HCx from the USA last year at Xmas and it arrived spot on the estimated delivery time 8)

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 15 December 08 3:29 pm

rhinogeo wrote:
It's only been a week though ... give it the full 10 days before you get too disheartened :wink:

I ordered my Vista HCx from the USA last year at Xmas and it arrived spot on the estimated delivery time 8)
If it takes 10 days I'll probobly cry.

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 18 December 08 8:08 pm

Finally got it today.

I sent OctaPC an email yesterday asking when they sent it.

Got just this as a reply:
It is being sent today via Platinum Express Bag #ZY0******
So I got it today 8)

I'm glad I sent that email!

Otherwise who knows how long I'd be waiting