New GPS: Vista HCx or 60CSx?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc

Post by Guest » 09 December 08 8:56 am

gibbo003 wrote:Well done mickal555 on your Vistahcx you should be now able to find caches in the blackberrys with no problems. The Vista's have the best screens I have seen in bright sunlight or in the thick of the blackberry bushes.
What if he prefers mulberries or rasberries ? :)

Post by Guest » 09 December 08 9:18 am

Public appology
==========

I must appologise to everyone caught up in this, I'm just as guilty as what I'm acusing others of, and for that I'm sorry, however my position has been taken some what out of context, and passion has been mistaken for other vested interests, I can only assume they were thought financial, however I will endeavour to try in future to refrain from what I've been accused of, and further more will try to refrain from similar public outbursts against other forum members and can only hope they can show similar willingness to try and empathise with others whom perceive the world perhaps not so unlike them. I know better than this and I only hope others aren't treated in a similar manner.

I was up front about how overly enthusiastic I can be at times, sorry if this has rubbed some the wrong way, I am who I am what I am, I try to better myself but change eventually occurs even to the tallest of mountains.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 09 December 08 9:49 am

mickal555 wrote:Went with the Vista HCx!

10 days shipping apparently... I can't wait!
Good decision 8)

While you're waiting for it to arrive you can buy yourself a Micro SD card (it doesn't come with one) and download the Shonkymaps and Open Street Maps of your area

Also have and read up on the GSAK macro that will enable you to load the cache symbols on the Vista :wink:

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 09 December 08 9:58 am

rhinogeo wrote:

Good decision 8)

While you're waiting for it to arrive you can buy yourself a Micro SD card (it doesn't come with one) and download the Shonkymaps and Open Street Maps of your area

Also have and read up on the GSAK macro that will enable you to load the cache symbols on the Vista :wink:
I already have a 2GB one that I got for my mp3 player :D

Though I don't use it because it causes the player to take 6mins to turn on ><.

I'll download the maps though :P

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 December 08 10:03 am

rhinogeo wrote:

Good decision 8)

Are Shonky Maps routable in the HCx? If so, I am so going to get one after Christmas.

rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 09 December 08 10:11 am

caughtatwork wrote:
rhinogeo wrote:

Good decision 8)

Are Shonky Maps routable in the HCx? If so, I am so going to get one after Christmas.
Unfortunately not ... at least not the ones I've got

I haven't spent any time on routability on the Vista HCx ... I should have a read :wink:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 December 08 11:11 am

:-(

Ksix
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Ksix » 09 December 08 2:06 pm

rhinogeo wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
rhinogeo wrote:

Good decision 8)

Unfortunately not ... at least not the ones I've got

I haven't spent any time on routability on the Vista HCx ... I should have a read :wink:
You can check out the following link which "may" help you with building routable shonky maps</br>
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/show ... t=routable :?: :?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 09 December 08 2:08 pm

Hi mickal555,

how much cheaper was the Hcx from overseas, you know you won't have warranty from garmin Australia

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 09 December 08 3:03 pm

gibbo003 wrote:Well done mickal555 on your Vistahcx you should be now able to find caches in the blackberrys with no problems. The Vista's have the best screens I have seen in bright sunlight or in the thick of the blackberry bushes.
Hear, hear!

Enjoy your Vista, and happy caching everyone!

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 09 December 08 5:46 pm

rhinogeo wrote:
Can you tell me more about this and how it works and what it does. I have a Vista HCx with combined routable topo maps. what kind of cache symbols? I already get a little treasure chest, are there more?

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 09 December 08 7:14 pm

Skippy wrote:Hi mickal555,

how much cheaper was the Hcx from overseas, you know you won't have warranty from garmin Australia
I didn't get it from overseas I got it from http://www.octapc.com.au/
and it was $400 total including postage, and free topo maps(which are probobly free ones anyway), and a carry case thrown in.

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 09 December 08 7:15 pm

Skippy wrote:Hi mickal555,

I didn't get it from overseas I got it from http://www.octapc.com.au/
and it was $400 total including postage, and free topo maps(which are probobly free ones anyway), and a carry case thrown in.

I think they have a 1 year warranty

rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 09 December 08 9:22 pm

tronador wrote:
rhinogeo wrote:
Can you tell me more about this and how it works and what it does. I have a Vista HCx with combined routable topo maps. what kind of cache symbols? I already get a little treasure chest, are there more?
The symbols are all the usual GC symbols ... traditional, multi, micro ... etc 8)

The following explains it all much better than I could http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching/60 ... ymbols.htm

Instructions are for the 60 Series but they work perfectly on the Vista HCx :)

tronador

Post by tronador » 09 December 08 10:06 pm

rhinogeo wrote:
tronador wrote:
rhinogeo wrote:
The symbols are all the usual GC symbols ... traditional, multi, micro ... etc 8)

The following explains it all much better than I could http://www.thepropers.com/geocaching/60 ... ymbols.htm

Instructions are for the 60 Series but they work perfectly on the Vista HCx :)
:D :D :D :D
thanks all done. One question though. when i sent all the waypoints across from GSAK the y are now only listed in the waypoints and not geocache menu on my vista???? :shock:
Why???? I did read that you can only set up 1 type of cache type and they recommend traditionals is this why?????