New GPS: Vista HCx or 60CSx?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc

Post by Guest » 08 December 08 5:58 pm

SG-3 wrote:Just out of curiosity, was yours the Vista HCx? The HCx has the "high sensitivity" GPS chipset, which I find very sensitive (using the ol' "turn it on inside" test, and compared to a Vista Cx)!
Mobile phones cheat and use A-GPS to work inside ;)

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 08 December 08 8:33 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
SG-3 wrote:Just out of curiosity, was yours the Vista HCx? The HCx has the "high sensitivity" GPS chipset, which I find very sensitive (using the ol' "turn it on inside" test, and compared to a Vista Cx)!
...and that is relevant to this thread how :?:
team unicycle wrote:As I've been considering upgrading too, I wonder if anyone has any comments on rhinogeo's suggestion. Are there any compelling reasons to choose a Vista over 60 or vice versa?
I was considering a 60 but when the eTrex models with the high sensitivity chipset was released the Vista HCx was an easy decision

Maybe ex-Magellan owners buy the Garmin 60 series because it is larger and more unwieldy than the eTrex :P

YMMV :wink:
Last edited by rhinogeo on 08 December 08 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 08 December 08 8:43 pm

So is the weird placement of the thumb thing ok?

I've heard it causes problems, obscuring the screen...

Post by Guest » 08 December 08 8:45 pm

rhinogeo wrote:...and that is relevant to this thread how :?:
Sorry, teachers always did chip me for not showing all work in school.

Well if phone are capable of A-GPS, what's to stop some GPS company doing a deal with phone companies to get A-GPS support on their GPSr's too?

Just ideal speculation...

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 08 December 08 8:50 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
rhinogeo wrote:...and that is relevant to this thread how :?:
Sorry, teachers always did chip me for not showing all work in school.

Well if phone are capable of A-GPS, what's to stop some GPS company doing a deal with phone companies to get A-GPS support on their GPSr's too?

Just ideal speculation...
Doesn't help me decide on a GPS much though :(

Samantha&Alex

Post by Samantha&Alex » 08 December 08 9:29 pm

hmmmmmm......

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 08 December 08 9:35 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
</p>
</p>
Hmmm... A Mobile Phone using A-GPS won't help you find this: http://coord.info/GC2D20 (it was "indoors",if it's still there!) , or http://coord.info/GC2D20, or even http://coord.info/GC18KTW ! (Mobile reception? What Mobile reception?!?)
</p>
Not that I can see myself traipsing through the wilds of Tassie's South Cape with a $1000 Blackberry, unless I fork out another $152.99 ( http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=116834 ) to make it a little more robust and waterproof!
</p>
If I remember rightly, the original post asked:
</p>
mickal555 wrote: I've been searching around the internet for the past couple of days trying to work out the best GPS I can get for a reasonable price.
</p>
I think something like the Vista HCx fits the criteria slightly better!
</p>
All the best mickal555 and team unicycle on making a satisfactory decision!

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 08 December 08 10:37 pm

I have a new Vista HCx. It's great and I use the altimeter as well as the compass. Especially when navigating out in the bush on a overnight bushwalk. It's great to see how much elevation gain there is. i also love plotting the track on Ozi explorer to see exactly where we walked, especially if it's to gain access to a canyon or off track.
I can get a signal inside my place which is insane .I live in an apartment. That's how good the chipset is.
I bought mine new off ebay. Sent down from the Gold Coast and included micro SD card with topo maps thrown in.
Can't recommend it highly enough.

Oh and what's with all the discussion about caching with phones or blackberries or what ever. These don't look very robust to me to take out on a bushwalk. Is someone here trying to market them? Handheld GPS's were designed for the outdoors and are waterproof, shockproof and robust. That's not to say that a long drop off a cliff won't break them.

Post by Guest » 08 December 08 11:18 pm

SG-3 wrote:Not that I can see myself traipsing through the wilds of Tassie's South Cape with a $1000 Blackberry, unless I fork out another $152.99 ( http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=116834 ) to make it a little more robust and waterproof!
Armour Plating...

Although the Storm vodafone is just releasing is priced at $899 retail... so only a $900 phone ;)

Mind you they do armour plating for GPSr's and other things too... and no I don't work for Vodafone, just making speculation on what GPSr manuf's might do to increase accuracy indoors...

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 08 December 08 11:34 pm

Went with the Vista HCx!

10 days shipping apparently... I can't wait!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 December 08 8:09 am

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
SG-3 wrote:Not that I can see myself traipsing through the wilds of Tassie's South Cape with a $1000 Blackberry, unless I fork out another $152.99 ( http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=116834 ) to make it a little more robust and waterproof!
Armour Plating...

Although the Storm vodafone is just releasing is priced at $899 retail... so only a $900 phone ;)

Mind you they do armour plating for GPSr's and other things too... and no I don't work for Vodafone, just making speculation on what GPSr manuf's might do to increase accuracy indoors...
delta_foxtrot2 you are sounding more and more like a shill for RIM. As a site administrator I have received a number of complaints about the off topic (or semi on-topic) posts you are making which all seems to be specifically related to Blackberry devices, RIM and Assisted GPS.

I'm asking officially (and hopefully nicely) that you restrain yourself with regards to posting semi related information about RIM and Blackberry devices in threads which are only tangentially related.

Certainly where the Blackberry information would be useful, please do so, but in a thread like this which was asking about a dedicated Vista device, it has become annoying enough to rile more than a few people and for them to ask me to request you restrain yourself.

Post by Guest » 09 December 08 8:38 am

caughtatwork wrote:delta_foxtrot2 you are sounding more and more like a shill for RIM. As a site administrator I have received a number of complaints about the off topic (or semi on-topic) posts you are making which all seems to be specifically related to Blackberry devices, RIM and Assisted GPS.
If that were the case I'd most likely be facing a bleak future, but speculate all you like if it helps in your vendetta against me. In future, if you want to do a good job of knifing someone in the back you are better off using someone impartial, at least that way it isn't so blatent as to your motives, see I can be mean just like you too and fly off the handle and take you out of context too!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 December 08 8:41 am

I asked nicely.
I gave my points.
I indicated that complaints had been received.
Many people are new and are asking for help, so please keep your posts on topic.

Post by Guest » 09 December 08 8:42 am

caughtatwork wrote:I asked nicely.
I gave my points.
I indicated that complaints had been received.
Many people are new and are asking for help, so please keep your posts on topic.
He said she said they said, if you really were doing as you are trying to say you were you would have done so without taking the topic further off topic and in private, otherwise you just look vengful. There is a whole thread in the QLD section on poor PR and pissing people off.

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 09 December 08 8:52 am

Well done mickal555 on your Vistahcx you should be now able to find caches in the blackberrys with no problems. The Vista's have the best screens I have seen in bright sunlight or in the thick of the blackberry bushes.