New GPS: Vista HCx or 60CSx?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

New GPS: Vista HCx or 60CSx?

Post by mickal555 » 06 December 08 11:28 pm

I've been searching around the internet for the past couple of days trying to work out the best GPS I can get for a reasonable price.

I think I've decided on either a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx or 60CSx, the only difference between them I've managed to work out is the altimeter and electronic compass.

I was wondering what people opinions on these features are and if they're worth the extra $50 or so dollars.

Also the best prices I've seen for them is here:
http://www.octapc.com.au/category152_1.htm
$388.45 & $429.00
"Includes FREE Australian Topographic map on CD"

Would this be a recommended shop?
Their prices seem quite a lot cheaper then a few of the other places I've looked at.

Like here:
http://www.gpsoz.com.au/garmin/garmin_60.htm
same price A$499 for both models (?!?)
With Tracks 4 Australia maps & 1GB microSD card (though I already own a 2GB one). But also has 6600 hazard locations...

Navaids seem the worse priced ($500+):
http://www.navaids.com.au/gps%20units%20with%20maps.htm

And a place with a store front just around the corner from here
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/results.aspx?s ... ing=60%2Bx
$412.00 & $469.00

Any Thoughts? Thanks very much :D
I'm nervous about buying something so expensive...

Regards,
Michael

Edit: What happened to my paragraphs!
(I have fully spaced out text here but on my computer it's showing up as all run together- other posts in this forum seem fine- Look what's happening: http://i38.tinypic.com/10ohftd.jpg)
Last edited by mickal555 on 08 December 08 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 06 December 08 11:35 pm

Hi Michael,

I had the same decision to make last weekend! I went with the 60CSx as prior to that I'd used the Magellan 500 and found the compass wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I've only found 10 caches with the new one, but so far so good, although it took me a little while to get used to the extra sensitivity.

Regards,

Rob

Facitman
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 07 December 08 12:21 am

Michael

Edit your post and tick the Disable HTML in this post checkbox. All will be right then!

Peter
Facitman

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 07 December 08 12:23 am

Facitman wrote:Michael

Edit your post and tick the Disable HTML in this post checkbox. All will be right then!

Peter
Facitman
Awesome! Thank you!

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 07 December 08 1:42 am

I don't use the altimeter but I do use the electronic compass on my 60CSx while caching. Good for when you are standing still and still have the arrow point to the cache. The 60Cx will only point to the cache while moving. As it's only $40 odd dollars between the two then get the 60CSx. Got my 60CSx from Octapc and no problems.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 07 December 08 8:53 am

You could also have a look at the Vista HCx ... same features as the 60 CSx but smaller and no protruding aerial :wink:

red tag
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by red tag » 07 December 08 7:39 pm

As Dooghan says, the compass is really useful when you're standing still. Using an iPhone to find caches with a "compass" that only helps when you are actually moving really makes you appreciate an electronic compass!

Post by Guest » 07 December 08 8:39 pm

red tag wrote:As Dooghan says, the compass is really useful when you're standing still. Using an iPhone to find caches with a "compass" that only helps when you are actually moving really makes you appreciate an electronic compass!
That's just poorly designed software ! ;) (The iPhone has an accelerometer that could easily tell slow movements, someone will do it sooner or later)

Although I'm trying to overcome this issue in a number of ways on my blackberry, same problem.

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 07 December 08 10:06 pm

Ok So I'll grab the compass one then?

Would octapc be the best place to get it then?
(They're certainty the cheapest!)

Thanks! :D

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 07 December 08 11:27 pm

rhinogeo wrote:You could also have a look at the Vista HCx ... same features as the 60 CSx but smaller and no protruding aerial :wink:
As I've been considering upgrading too, I wonder if anyone has any comments on rhinogeo's suggestion. Are there any compelling reasons to choose a Vista over 60 or vice versa?

SamCarter

Post by SamCarter » 08 December 08 1:11 am

I like my Vista very much but have not had a chance to compare it with a 60.

My brother and I had mixed results from octapc: he had very fast delivery and was very happy, but when I ordered a day or two later they got confused by the same unusual surname and thought they'd already posted it :shock: so it took me a bit longer to get mine (but it came with a bigger MicroSD card than I'd expected when it arrived, so that was okay :P )

mickal555
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by mickal555 » 08 December 08 1:15 am

Ha!

Now I'm completely torn...

Extrex vista is a fair amount cheaper...

And if it's otherwise the same :/

Maybe that aerial= better reception?
hmm

gypsycacher
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by gypsycacher » 08 December 08 2:01 pm

mickal555 wrote:Ok So I'll grab the compass one then?

Would octapc be the best place to get it then?
(They're certainty the cheapest!)

Thanks! :D
brought my 60csx from them a few months back, fast delivery, good price and a pleasure to deal with. About $479 (plus postage) from memory with a carry case and 1gig microSD with a few of the freely available maps on it.

only dealt with them the once but couldn't fault them.....

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 08 December 08 2:16 pm

You have to wonder why the vista is cheaper than the 60CSX when they seem to do the same. Having owned a Vista but now use a 60CSX and Colorado300 I can tell you they are not the same. The antenna on the 60 and Colorado work so much better in low reception areas. The rubber on the case on the vista after only a few trips out on the windscreen mount started to Part Company with the gps and the only thing stopping water getting in was a bit of double sided tape. Saying all that the screen on the vista is much brighter and clearer than the 60CSX but I would never go back to it after using the colorado300

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 08 December 08 5:10 pm

gibbo003 wrote:You have to wonder why the vista is cheaper than the 60CSX when they seem to do the same. Having owned a Vista but now use a 60CSX and Colorado300 I can tell you they are not the same. The antenna on the 60 and Colorado work so much better in low reception areas.
Just out of curiosity, was yours the Vista HCx? The HCx has the "high sensitivity" GPS chipset, which I find very sensitive (using the ol' "turn it on inside" test, and compared to a Vista Cx)!

As SamCarter said, I personally was very happy with the service I received from Octapc; quick delivery, bonus bits and pieces, and the card pre-loaded with tassie maps!

I love the Vista HCx; and that's coming from a (now ex)-diehard Magellan fan!

And I find the Magnetic compass very handy (just make sure you re-calibrate it when you change batteries, or move a goodly distance from your last place of recalibration!)