GSAK and GCA imports

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

GSAK and GCA imports

Post by fidjit » 05 December 08 9:39 am

For some reason , when I load GPXs in GSAK it appears to "reset" my GCA finds to the default.

So I sets them to "found" manually ( yellow ), but something in the uploads resets them ( white )

Any ideas guys and gals ?????

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 05 December 08 10:29 am

In each waypoint in GSAK you lock it, to stop overwriting. There is a check box when you open each waypoint. There might be better ways too of course. :)

fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by fidjit » 05 December 08 10:41 am

But if I lock it that means there won't be updates ???

A couple of the GCA ones are "moving" caches, so I want to be able to see where they are.

If I lock them I'm assuming I won't get movement updates.....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 08 10:48 am

You shouldn't have to set a cache manually "found".
In GSAK, Tools -> Options there is a place to set your cacher name called Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches.
Select Exact Match and enter your name in the field below it.
This should set all of the matching logs against those caches to be found.
This will hopefully stop GSAK overriding the manual found thingy and you won't have to manually set anything found again.

fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by fidjit » 05 December 08 10:53 am

mmm, I had my Owner ID # in there. That may be the issue as the owner ID only relates to GC ( I think ). I've just changed to Exact Match on User name and I'll see how that goes.....

Thank !!!!!!!!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 08 11:24 am

Correct, owner ID is a GC thing. Use your name and GC and GCA should both be happy.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 05 December 08 11:49 am

caughtatwork wrote:Correct, owner ID is a GC thing. Use your name and GC and GCA should both be happy.
The only "gotcha!" could be if you've placed caches with a different typed-in name on GC; they won't be recognised as being yours.

Post by Guest » 05 December 08 1:14 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Correct, owner ID is a GC thing. Use your name and GC and GCA should both be happy.
The only "gotcha!" could be if you've placed caches with a different typed-in name on GC; they won't be recognised as being yours.
The info you are refering to exists in 2 different fields, the typed in field (aka placed) and the actual owner, ie the account that owns the record, which one GSAK uses I can't comment on as I haven't used it more than once, but I'm familiar with the GPX format GroundSpeak publish.

fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by fidjit » 05 December 08 1:20 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
You are correct !! Our first cache was placed in my login and kids name. It doesn't showed as being owned by me but that's no biggie. I think I know that and it's actually my "home address" anyway.

Much better this than the situation before with GCA caches :-)

Thanks for help all !!!!!!!!!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 08 1:28 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
Papa Bear_Left wrote:
The info you are refering to exists in 2 different fields, the typed in field (aka placed) and the actual owner, ie the account that owns the record, which one GSAK uses I can't comment on as I haven't used it more than once, but I'm familiar with the GPX format GroundSpeak publish.
So what value does your post add :roll:

PBL is correct.
groundspeak:placed_by is used to match owner.
groundspeak:owner if it differs from your own caching name will not show up as a match, even if it's yours.

Post by Guest » 05 December 08 4:51 pm

caughtatwork wrote:So what value does your post add :roll:
Have I really upset you or bruised your ego that much because of the debate over several issues in another thread? I even on several occasions tried to see where our differences were yet you still seem to have a beef with me over it.

Maybe you should perhaps try and see the forest for the trees and not let ego get in your way so much...

I've come to realise and appreciate over time how my personality isn't the best for getting along with others at times, and I do try to better myself in this respect where possible, and perhaps the most profound saying I've heard in this respect would be this:

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-- Douglas Adams

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 05 December 08 5:41 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:So what value does your post add :roll:
Have I really upset you or bruised your ego that much because of the debate over several issues in another thread? I even on several occasions tried to see where our differences were yet you still seem to have a beef with me over it.

Maybe you should perhaps try and see the forest for the trees and not let ego get in your way so much...

I've come to realise and appreciate over time how my personality isn't the best for getting along with others at times, and I do try to better myself in this respect where possible, and perhaps the most profound saying I've heard in this respect would be this:

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-- Douglas Adams

2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 05 December 08 5:49 pm

Post by Guest » 05 December 08 6:01 pm

rhinogeo wrote: Image
Yes burn the evil witch, err troll...

*gets out the pitch fork, tar and a sack full of feathers*

Did I forget or over look anything?

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Don't panic

Post by If » 06 December 08 9:12 pm

rhinogeo wrote: Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-- Douglas Adams
That's gotta be one of my favourite quotes from modern literature, ever.
It's as true today as it will be in the future :D
As for GSAK.... it's SEP :P