GSAK batch upload

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mtrax

GSAK batch upload

Post by mtrax » 30 November 08 4:21 pm

to all GSAK uses who want to streamline your daily finds, courtesy of the Colorado/Oregon Field notes upload feature.

ie GSAK can build / emulate this (field-Note) file.

So this means you can enter all your finds in GSAK then upload to GC.com rather than switching between GSAK and website.

So basically you mark all your finds in GSAK then run macro which builds the fieldnote.txt which upload to GC.com, you can enter logs on GSAK or website.

macro is here: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=8f3d1 ... entry65228

Note Colorado users can of course use this as well but ALL users may find it an easier method...

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 30 November 08 8:57 pm

For those who don't know (IE me) how do field notes work?

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 01 December 08 1:04 am

All geocache logs (finds, dnf, need maintenance etc) recorded on the Oregon and Colorado are stored in a handy file in their storage area called "geocache_visits.txt". You will need to go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx (not sure if you need to be a premium member or not) and use the link there (uploadfieldnotes.aspx) to upload this file onto GC. It will then allow you to click on each log individually and complete the task either then or at a later time.

The date, log type (and a comment if entered on the GPSr) will be automagically filled out for you. :P Makes the entering heaps of logs over multiple days much nicer, and still allowing for the personalisation of your logs if needbe.

The GSAK macro builds this "geocache_visits.txt" file eliminating the need for a Oregon/Colorado etc to use this feature.

BTW Trimble's Geocache Navigator apparently also ends up sending its information to this fieldnotes page.

mm

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 December 08 10:16 am

Very handy for laptop/nettop toting cache travellers!

Enter your finds and logs as you go, without having to do a lot of cutting and pasting once you get back to civilisation (defined as "a good internet connection"!)

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 01 December 08 11:20 am

Thanks MM

I think I can use this (in a cut-down sort of way).

Ian

rediguana

Post by rediguana » 01 December 08 11:57 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Enter your finds and logs as you go, without having to do a lot of cutting and pasting once you get back to civilisation (defined as "a good internet connection"!)
Yep - I'm looking forward to using my Colorado and laptop to do this during the upcoming trip to Aussie. Catching up on ~380 logs from last Decembers trip was a real time absorber, and it made it difficult to remember all the caches - although GE helped.

If you do it in GSAK, will it order them properly, or is that something that you will still have to deal with? The Colorado/Oregon solution is nice as it timestamps them so they appear in the correct order when uploaded.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 04 December 08 10:07 am

you can use the USORT in GSAK if you want to force the sorting.. otherwise I suspect will just use the "day"