Anyone caching with a Nokia N900?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
noikmeister
5000 or more caches found

Anyone caching with a Nokia N900?

Post by noikmeister » 06 August 10 5:33 pm

If so do you have any observations, Like/dislikes?

Laighside Legends
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re: Anyone caching with a Nokia N900?

Post by Laighside Legends » 06 October 10 9:01 pm

My phone is a Nokia 6720 (It may be similer to the N900).
I tried caching with it one day - the result is: I will never us it for caching again.

The GPS takes ages to get started - if it loses its fix it takes ages to get it again.
My phone didn't have a compass & direction screen which didn't help
All it did was show your position and the cache position on a map. This made it quite difficut to get to GZ.

I don't indend to ever use a phone for caching unless it is an android phone.
Hopefully this helps!

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 06 October 10 9:22 pm

Laighside Legends wrote:My phone is a Nokia 6720 (It may be similer to the N900).
I tried caching with it one day - the result is: I will never us it for caching again.
No, it's nothing like it. I already cache with a Nokia E71 and it is great for what it does. The N900 runs Maemo Linux.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Caching with an E66 works just great!

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 06 October 10 10:08 pm

This is probably OT because my E66 runs Symbian S60 whereas the N900 does not. Anyhoo, I thought I'd expand a bit for anyone who has an S60 device and does not realise the power they are carrying around in their pocket! :mrgreen:
Laighside Legends wrote:My phone is a Nokia 6720 (It may be similer to the N900).
Well, yes, if you use what's installed out of the box. I have an E66 and it is my sole geocaching device. No other GPS needed, it does paperless caching and it's a phone too!
Laighside Legends wrote:The GPS takes ages to get started - if it loses its fix it takes ages to get it again.
A quick workaround for this is to download Ovi Maps. You'll get a lifetime of free turn-by-turn guided maps worldwide to boot. Ovi Maps gets the E66 GPS started fast so I run up Ovi Maps first until I get a fix and then start using my geocaching apps.
Laighside Legends wrote:My phone didn't have a compass & direction screen which didn't help
All it did was show your position and the cache position on a map. This made it quite difficut to get to GZ.
Trekbuddy is your friend here. It's a free navigation program that can take GPX files from gc.com or from GSAK. It takes a bit to customise as you have to download maps for your area (there's a tool available for that though) and you have to find a skin that works for geocaching but once you've got it set up it will give you both an overview map of all the caches nearby and then you can change to a compass & direction screen when you're hunting for a cache.

It also will give you the cache listing but I use SmartGPX for the ability to take fieldnotes and the cache listings are nicely presented too. Soon you'll even be able to upload fieldnotes for GCA caches! w00t! w00t! =D>

In short, you can cache quite successfully using just a Nokia mobile phone.

Lucy
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Lucy » 06 October 10 10:31 pm

Slightly off track:
I use a 6720 too; with the right software it is simply awesome. I have had good results with Geocaching Live and I also use SmartGPX. I haven't really felt the need to experiment with other apps for it yet.

Back to your normally scheduled topic......

noikmeister

Post by noikmeister » 07 October 10 6:56 am

And if you have SmartGPX and the GPS add-on for it, you can export your geocaches from SmartGPX to the landmarks DB of the phone and so use Ovi Maps to drive you to the cache.

Trigg-A-Nomics

Post by Trigg-A-Nomics » 07 October 10 11:07 am

norkmeister wrote:And if you have SmartGPX and the GPS add-on for it, you can export your geocaches from SmartGPX to the landmarks DB of the phone and so use Ovi Maps to drive you to the cache.
Yes, this is an awesome feature!

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 October 10 11:20 am

It's a pity the N900 has become a dead end (RIP Maemo), it is a pretty solid device (I came REAL close to buying one)

I even started writing a caching app for it, but then got distracted by Android.

A guy I know uses AGTL (Advanced Geocaching Tool for Linux) and said it was pretty good.

http://danielfett.de/internet-und-opens ... maemo-n900

landau351
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by landau351 » 14 October 10 11:21 pm

I guess its OK to mention other Nokia models beside the 900, so I shall chip in with my Nokia N97 mini.
I Installed SmartGPX and its GPS dll for paperless integration to the integrated GPS, Landmarks and OVI maps.

I also installed the S60 version of GClive just so I could locate caches visually and also have the neat arrow. I found that the Garmin Nuvi car unit we have was far more accurate that the Nokia integrated unit (smart phones are always a compromise) so opted for the Nokia LD-3W bluetooth GPS. I didn't feel I needed another full GPS with a screen etc. All I wanted was a bluetooth GPS and have found that it is way more accurate and will happily locate me even inside my home, when the phones own integrated unit gives up. Get accuracy to 3 meters by using the LD-3W (though not always). Got it through eBay for a pretty good price. Considering working out a way to sew it into my hat :-)