Movng Maps

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
gr8cherokee
5000 or more caches found

Movng Maps

Post by gr8cherokee » 18 October 08 4:58 pm

I guess this has been done before but I can't find a link for it, so is there a good cheap moving map program for running on a laptop of course.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 18 October 08 5:27 pm

Depends on what your definition of "cheap" is!

For mapping software OziExplorer is reasonably cheap, however you then need to consider the costs of maps.

If you are considering a SatNav, there are some models about which are less than $200 with maps, but these units are not as versatile as OziExplorer where you can install your own maps.

gr8cherokee

Post by gr8cherokee » 18 October 08 5:42 pm

I have had maps for years but never got into the moving map thing, I only used the maps to plan 4x4 trips near and far. I have a SatNav that gets a small amount of use but what I want now is to be able to take the laptop and use it for moving maps along with GSAK and some other stuff

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 18 October 08 5:58 pm

Hey Danny give me a ring when your free and I can set it up for you within minutes

The in-car satnav won't work on Ozi , you'll need a cable from your GPSr to your laptop to make it work unless you got a blue tooth reciever

Which GPSr have you using ?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 18 October 08 8:27 pm

I used to use it a lot on 4WD trips as all fire trails look the same in the bush - which one do I want to turn down?

Then again when I was with Fab in Adelaide her 10yo son would always ask where we were continuously on a country trip. I had a PCMCIA GPS with external antenna, so just fired up Ozi moving map and let him watch the screen 8)

gr8cherokee

Post by gr8cherokee » 18 October 08 8:45 pm

Skippy

I will give you a call tomorrow to organise a time etc......

Still have the Garmin GPS60 (yellow one) do you want to sell me your old GPSMAP 60 ???

Seeing as you now have the Colorado

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 19 October 08 12:16 am

I have already sold the Map 60C all I have left is the GPSV which does auto routing, your 60 will be fine