Palm Treo Pro - the ultimate all-in-one geocaching device?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Palm Treo Pro - the ultimate all-in-one geocaching device?

Post by rhinogeo » 01 October 08 6:14 pm

The Palm Treo Pro smartphone is now available through Telstra and with GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth and after an installation of Cachemate and Oziexplorer it looks like it could be getting close to the ultimate all-in-one geocaching device 8)

I'm not sure what sort of GPS chip it runs so accuracy may not be as great as a dedicated handheld but I'm still being seduced (despite it running Windoze Mobile instead of PALM OS) :wink:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 October 08 6:50 pm

There's a few in this class nowadays; the latest iPhone and the various permutations of the HTC Touch spring to mind.
(Actually, the HTC Touch HD is looking like the leader of the pack. The larger screen gives it the edge in my book.)

Now that the top-end phones are all coming out with GPSr built-in, it won't be long before there's a large population of GPS-toting people out there. How many of them will stumble across Geocaching the same way outdoor enthusiasts have been doing for years, googling for information on their new toys? Or browsing the App Store and equivalents and wondering what this geocaching program's for?

I'm already seeing a lot of new cache-placers coming along, and I wonder what devices like the Treo and its competitors are going to mean for the game?

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 01 October 08 7:31 pm

The Treo Pro is the only one that gets Telstra's tick for
Recommended for rural handheld coverage outside regional centres and towns which gives it the edge as a phone for us regional people :)
Papa Bear_Left wrote:I'm already seeing a lot of new cache-placers coming along, and I wonder what devices like the Treo and its competitors are going to mean for the game?
If the GPSr accuracy isn't as good as a dedicated GPSr then we may be finding more caches some metres from GZ :?

TeamWolfie
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by TeamWolfie » 04 November 08 5:22 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:Now that the top-end phones are all coming out with GPSr built-in, it won't be long before there's a large population of GPS-toting people out there. How many of them will stumble across Geocaching the same way outdoor enthusiasts have been doing for years, googling for information on their new toys? Or browsing the App Store and equivalents and wondering what this geocaching program's for?
Spot on! I was introduced to Geocaching through my iPhone.

I actually heard a review about the available Geocaching Apps on one of the iPhone podcast that I subscribe to. If I hadn't heard of them on the iPhone podcast, I would have eventually stumbled upon them in the App Store.

I had never heard of GC, before but it sounded like a fantastic activity, and the iPhone seems to be a great (not perfect) tool for it. Started geocaching 3 weeks ago, got my best mate into it, and we are now TOTALLY HOOKED.

I've got a few different GC apps loaded on my iPhone now. I'm probably going to do a review on each of them and go into more details in each of them on my blog at http://www.teamwolfie.com

The iPhone isn't the ultimate device, but it does me fine.

There have been some caches I've used only the iPhone for and it's lead me directly to the spot - and it's great being able to use the Geocaching App to look up all the info, logs, decrypt the hints, look at pictures galleries for more clues, switch to a google map with my location and the cache pinpointed - you just walk around until they match up. You can even switch to google satellite view - and that helped on one occasion.

We're using the iPhone in conjunction with a Mio DigiWalker C510 that I've had for a couple of years. I have now worked out how to get all the GC Waypoints into the Mio which is pretty cool. I find the Mio is very accurate - but the interface seems clumsy, so I'm really looking forward to getting one of the popular Garmin models many of you recommend.

Incidentally - this is my first post on GCA.. so g'day from TeamWolfie, and thanks to Shifter Brains for telling us about GCA.

Cheers,
Wolfie Ben
TeamWolfie

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 November 08 5:32 pm

For a Palm that looks HOT :shock:

Cannibal Smurf

Post by Cannibal Smurf » 04 November 08 6:47 pm

<p>Welcome Wolfie Ben</p>

<p>That's a nice looking bit o' kit u've got there, how is the accuracy compared to the Mio? You said the Mio was quite accurate but didn't say how far off the Treo was in comparison.</p>

<p>I'm with PBL though, waiting for the HTC Touch HD... very nice looking toy and the 3.8" screen is huge. Battery life is more than double that of my current PDA (imate jam)</p>

TeamWolfie
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by TeamWolfie » 04 November 08 6:56 pm

Cannibal Smurf wrote:<p>Welcome Wolfie Ben</p>

<p>That's a nice looking bit o' kit u've got there, how is the accuracy compared to the Mio? You said the Mio was quite accurate but didn't say how far off the Treo was in comparison.</p>
Thanks for the welcome.

I think u read me wrong. I have an iPhone - not a Treo. Was just agreeing with the earlier comment that people who get these new devices are discovering geocaching because of the software available for the devices. This is how I discovered GC.

Haven't done any specific accuracy comparisons between the Mio and the iPhone so far... just noticed the Mio works in all environments (e.g. in valleys, under tree canopies, etc..) whereas the iPhone is more fussy.

Though there have been instances where the iPhone has lead me directly (to within 1m) of a cache.

Wolfie Ben
TeamWolfie

Cannibal Smurf

Post by Cannibal Smurf » 05 November 08 11:12 am

<p>:oops: lol</p>

<p>That'd be why you didn't compare them then. Hmmm read twice reply once :?</p>

Post by Guest » 05 November 08 5:54 pm

I'd hazzard a guess to say virtually any phone with a half decent GPS chipset + antenna design etc should be reasonably accurate, combined with j2me applications, such as trekbuddy, and it shouldn't matter terribly what device specifically you have.

Just like most camera phones all take mostly OK photos, but they don't replace a proper camera, but a lot of people don't want to carry 10 different devices and are happy to settle for a bunch of mediocre options, rather then excellent single purpose options.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Not bad, but.....

Post by If » 07 November 08 3:52 pm

The ultimate geocaching accessory will need to be able to find Wherigo caches, but I thought Geocaching had left Palm out of the loop :? :shock:

Is it waterproof and shockproof (in other words, cacherproof ?) :P

I won't give up my battered GPS76 just yet :D

Papa Bear_Left

Re: Not bad, but.....

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 07 November 08 4:31 pm

If wrote:The ultimate geocaching accessory will need to be able to find Wherigo caches, but I thought Geocaching had left Palm out of the loop :? :shock:
Only PalmOS has been ignored. Most of the newer Treos use WindowsMobile (which is why I don't really consider them Palms...)

I think there's still a Java version in the works, which should run on just about anything.

Re: Not bad, but.....

Post by Guest » 07 November 08 9:30 pm

If wrote:Is it waterproof and shockproof (in other words, cacherproof ?)
Armour plating ;)

http://www.boxwave.com/products/armorcase/index.htm