iPhone geocache software

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 05 January 09 11:05 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:I am also testing the Beta version and have had fair to good results. On 3 separate caches I have been able to get to anything from 4 metres to 12 metres. The new application has a compass that points to your destination and indicates your distance.<br>
Although it doesn't offer the facility to enter coordinates manually it does have some cool features of description, navigate to, hint, recent logs, directions via google maps, and a field note application that enable you to log your find once home from your field note.
I assume their will be many more tweaks over the coming months and I will post any new findings.
I am sure that you can show me at the event in a couple of weeks.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 06 January 09 12:20 am

Crisp image wrote:So I am a little confused to which is the best working application. I am cosiddering purchasing a touch Ipod (without the phone) and would like to use the aplications. Any info would be great
Regards
Crisp Image
I doubt the apps will work or load. I have an iPod Touch and they don't have a GPS built in. Even if it did, I wouldn't take it geocaching as it's too fragile.

Crisp image

Post by Crisp image » 06 January 09 8:09 am

I doubt the apps will work or load. I have an iPod Touch and they don't have a GPS built in. Even if it did, I wouldn't take it geocaching as it's too fragile.
The description says it is for the Iphone or touch so it would remain to be tested.

2dudez
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 06 January 09 9:09 am

I have had the app installed previously on my iPod Touch and now on my new iPhone.
While it does install on Touch, it is next to useless. Since the GPS is the main component of the program, and the iPod doesn't have one, there really isnt much it can do.
You can use iGeocacher instead to get your GPX files on locally (CD Mark showed me it running on his), but there is a bit of playing around to get the GPX files on. A good program once you set it up though.
For "offline" paperless, I've exported HTML from GSAK and copied it to the iPhone with the Air Sharing app. I also made my own start page for it to save having to scroll down to the index.html file every time you open the folder.
Since I got the iPhone a week ago, I have been playing with the geocaching app, the way it is meant to run, and I really like it.
My advice for anyone choosing which way to go, is go with the iPhone, that way you can load any program in the Apps Store. (not just the GPS related programs). There are plenty of other apps that either wont run on the Touch or are crippled due to lack of mic, having to plug headphones in to hear sound etc.

In future incarnations of the Geocaching App, I'd like to see:
*Support for wherigo
*Uploading logs in the field with support for the camera function (Geotagging pics would have to be turned off or you might give away the location of a multi or puzzle though)
*The ability to see what other geocaching app users are near you (Although some users may not want to be "Lo-Jacked" so would have to have the ability to be switched off). Might make caching more social for those that never meet anyone out at a cache... or alert you if someone is nearby, so you can get the hell out of there. :wink:
* Manual entry for multi waypoints
* GPX support so you can pre-load your own waypoints for solved puzzles etc.

A quick question to Embi and Mr Coffee, are they still accepting beta testers and if so, where can I sign up? I couldn't find any info over on geocaching.com

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 06 January 09 6:27 pm

2dudez wrote:A quick question to Embi and Mr Coffee, are they still accepting beta testers and if so, where can I sign up? I couldn't find any info over on geocaching.com
PM me your email address and I'll see if I can get you inside the inner sanctum. :lol:

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Twitter: Grumpykev

Post by KevL » 18 June 09 6:52 pm

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the Groundspeak Geocaching app for the iPhone was updated earlier this week.
There are a couple of significant improvements, the biggest being the ability to import/download into the app your pocket queries. This allows complete paperless caching even when there is no phone signal.
The navigate screen now has a choice of mapping available which should also be a big help.

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 18 June 09 9:09 pm

I like the search around me on the map screen. The app does seem not that stable though.

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by KevL » 18 June 09 9:16 pm

I had to reinstall after the 3.0 software update to stop it crashing on load but it seems stable so far. I have not had it running for more than 5 minutes though.

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 18 June 09 9:41 pm

I have had the app running for a week now on V3.0 and have had no problems with it. I have posted to the tester group about some road map issues causing the app to close.<br>
After loading more than a dozen development versions along the way I have found the best thing to do is restart the iPhone after installation and I now do this on any new app I download. it seems to help them be more stable.<br>
Are you saying the app only runs for 5 mins before is closes, running V3.0 and if so is there anything that happens or one area you are on when this happens?. I am happy to raise any problems or questions to the tester/developers group.<br>

Regards Mr.Coffee.

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by KevL » 18 June 09 9:49 pm

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote: Are you saying the app only runs for 5 mins before is closes, running V3.0

Regards Mr.Coffee.
No, it crashed on startup until I reinstalled it.
Since then it has run perfectly but I've only had it running for 5 minutes or so before closing it.
The post above mine suggested some instability. I was suggesting perhaps a reinstall would fix it.

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 18 June 09 10:13 pm

KevL wrote:
Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote: Are you saying the app only runs for 5 mins before is closes, running V3.0
Regards Mr.Coffee.
No, it crashed on startup until I reinstalled it.
Since then it has run perfectly but I've only had it running for 5 minutes or so before closing it.
The post above mine suggested some instability. I was suggesting perhaps a reinstall would fix it.
<p>
No problem.<br>
At one stage there was a few extremely stable versions, but as new and exciting features were added little glitches would appear. <br>
The developers are working miracles and putting a lot of hours into the program, and us testers have been providing feedback, ideas, thoughts, suggestions and bug/crash reports to them.<br>
Yes it would be a good idea to reinstall the app and a reboot after should help. The program may have the odd crash but keep me informed and I will pas on any issues.<p>
I will add that I think this is one of the best apps I have used for geocaching although GSAK still is No1. it offers real time viewing of caches, logs, waypoints, hints, descriptions, view caches on maps, road, topo, google earth, cache searching facility, trackables, pocket queries, save for offline use, post field notes, etc etc. the program offers everything you see on your computer plus the ability to enter coordinates, navigate to a cache and use the resources of the iPhone to solve puzzles and complex multi's.<p>
There has been many, many suggestions of further add on's to the app and I am sure they are on the future version list.

solomonfamily

Post by solomonfamily » 18 June 09 10:59 pm

Wow that took me a while - install the new OS, sync / backup, reboot, reinstall app and it is up and working. !

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 18 June 09 11:19 pm

solomonfamily wrote:Wow that took me a while - install the new OS, sync / backup, reboot, reinstall app and it is up and working. !
<p>
Good to hear. :D

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 18 June 09 11:26 pm

solomonfamily wrote:Wow that took me a while - install the new OS, sync / backup, reboot, reinstall app and it is up and working. !
<p>
Are you on Telstra? or anyone on Telstra with a iPhone?

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by KevL » 18 June 09 11:35 pm

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote: Are you on Telstra? or anyone on Telstra with a iPhone?
yep. Is there another network outside the capitals ?