New Browser - Google Chrome

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
rogainer
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

New Browser - Google Chrome

Post by rogainer » 08 September 08 3:04 pm

Google have decided to enter the browser wars with their own flavour - google chrome.
http://www.google.com/chrome/

Looks ok so far - I am a firefox user, but I will use it for a few days to see if I like it.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 September 08 5:20 pm

There seems to be a big question on the licence agreement. Any data that is entered in Chrome becomes copyrighted by Google and no longer belongs to you. Hate to use it for banking. I think I'll stay with FF.

Dooghan

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 08 September 08 5:22 pm

Apparently they have fixed those questions now, and re-done they licence agreement. They copy and pasted the agreement from another bit of software, and didnt check it properly :oops:

murf
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by murf » 08 September 08 6:37 pm

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 September 08 7:29 pm

setsujoku wrote:Apparently they have fixed those questions now, and re-done they licence agreement. They copy and pasted the agreement from another bit of software, and didnt check it properly :oops:
Dheads :lol:

So whats next from Google. An OS??

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 September 08 9:17 pm

Dooghan wrote: So whats next from Google. An OS??
I'd pretty much say it's a no brainer. Given they have released the Phone OS specs etc, it would be an inevitable thing.

Tin Foil Hat Time:
Just be aware that the driver behind Chrome is to keep you and your browsing in a monitored environment, be it only to taylor your Ad experience for now.

At the moment with other browsers google can only track your movements via web pages with google adwords or other google API services, however with the Chrome browser they will have 100% of your browsing under monitoring. (Unless you have the google toolbar extension in IE, in which case you are doing the same thing)

Perhaps in a few years we will regret letting them have SO much of our data.... just something to ponder!

(There is the quite form the guy form the National Security Agency who remarked that google already has more data on individuals than the CIA/NSA/FBI/DHS combined :lol:)

:twisted:

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 09 September 08 5:58 am

CraigRat wrote:
Dooghan wrote: So whats next from Google. An OS??
I'd pretty much say it's a no brainer. Given they have released the Phone OS specs etc, it would be an inevitable thing.

Tin Foil Hat Time:
Just be aware that the driver behind Chrome is to keep you and your browsing in a monitored environment, be it only to taylor your Ad experience for now.

At the moment with other browsers google can only track your movements via web pages with google adwords or other google API services, however with the Chrome browser they will have 100% of your browsing under monitoring. (Unless you have the google toolbar extension in IE, in which case you are doing the same thing)

Perhaps in a few years we will regret letting them have SO much of our data.... just something to ponder!

(There is the quite form the guy form the National Security Agency who remarked that google already has more data on individuals than the CIA/NSA/FBI/DHS combined :lol:)

:twisted:
Apparently it doesn't talk to much to Google going by this Blog Preventing paranoia: when does Google Chrome talk to Google.com? Also the the browser is open source so you will be able to check it out for yourself at Chromium

Dooghan

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 10 September 08 5:46 pm

Every forum that I read says "STAY AWAY" The Fox will be fine for me :wink: :wink:

CaleD
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CaleD » 10 September 08 5:54 pm

So... wait... Google can track movements via sites with those little text ads?

Where was the privacy disclaimer I signed? When did I consent to letting Google have this information?

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 10 September 08 6:41 pm

CaleD wrote:So... wait... Google can track movements via sites with those little text ads?

Where was the privacy disclaimer I signed? When did I consent to letting Google have this information?
Not only Google, read thisHerald story for more, but remember is you do, they will know.

setsujoku

Re: New Browser - Google Chrome

Post by setsujoku » 27 January 10 10:27 am

Dragging up a slightly old thread, but since a new one would just be named the same, why not continue what we already have.

Am considering the move to Chrome after their latest release, and have just grabbed it and loaded it up.
So far its quick (I use firefox and am happy enough with the speed of it, but this is quicker again), but the only sticking point so far is a RSS reader.

Is anyone using a reader that can act just like any of the ones available for Firefox (in my particular case I use Feed Sidebar), as if I can get past that point then I'll be jumping on the Chrome band wagon too :!:

So far it looks great though, and straight away I can block ad's, re-render a page in IE (for those lazy developers that won't make muli platform pages), and as with any other browser it will pull all my bookmarks across.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 27 January 10 12:32 pm

With Version 4, check out this sexy feature:

Go to http://geocaching.com.au and type something in the search box on the homepage
Then go back to the gca homepage and you'll see a 'hit TAB to search' and it uses GCA's search engine.... nifty!

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 28 January 10 9:51 am

setsujoku wrote:............... straight away I can block ad's, re-render a page in IE (for those lazy developers that won't make muli platform pages), and as with any other browser it will pull all my bookmarks across.
How do you get it to re-render in IE? I have a couple of sites that displays differently in chrome and it limits some of the pull down menus.

setsujoku

Post by setsujoku » 28 January 10 10:00 am

GeoScrubers wrote:
setsujoku wrote:............... straight away I can block ad's, re-render a page in IE (for those lazy developers that won't make muli platform pages), and as with any other browser it will pull all my bookmarks across.
How do you get it to re-render in IE? I have a couple of sites that displays differently in chrome and it limits some of the pull down menus.

There is an extension called IE Tab Classic. In Firefox it's called IETab.
It does make life a little bit easier.

setsujoku

Post by setsujoku » 28 January 10 11:09 am

Have bit the bullet in the end and have decided to shift all of the RSS feeds over to Google Reader, and using the Google Notifier extension to let me know when something new has come in. Will allow me to save some time only flicking through each feed once, rather than the way that I was doing it, and for some feed's I had them on both my PC and laptop (things like the news, caching, etc).

[OT] Only thing that google reader doesn't seem to handle is subscribing to twitter feed's but that seems to be because twitter requires authentication now (which is strange as the feeds work perfectly fine in Firefox). Quick fix will be to sign up to twitter I guess. [/OT]

So far pages seem quicker to load, and opening a PDF in the browser doesn't hang the whole app. It was able to import my history, saved passwords, etc straight from FF. So first impressions are that it's great. =D>