Help on Garmin 60CSx not finding satellites

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Help on Garmin 60CSx not finding satellites

Post by MalanDi » 21 August 08 10:44 pm

I have a 60 csx that has decided to not find any satellites. This happened once before and this unit was returned and another new unit sent. Now this one is doing the same thing.
Symptoms: When it is turned on it only goes to the " Acquiring satellites" and the two circles show with the points of the compass, the bottom lines show but there is no vertical boxes showing attempts to lock in and all is blank.
It doesn't make any difference when turning off and starting again and it wont come on after leaving it on all night!
I did a search on the main Geocache site and this problem was listed there.
It was suggested that the "Firmware" be reloaded. Is this the same as "software and if so where do I get it?
Look forward to you suggestions.
Malcolm

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 21 August 08 10:55 pm

Firmware is the software within your gps unit. you can download it directly from Garmin. You can download it from there then install on your gps unit.

They also have a beaut little piece of software that you install on your computer or laptop called "WebUpdater".

After you install that on your computer you attach your gps reciever, and follow the instructions, the WebUpdater checks the serial number of your gps and then looks back to the garmin site to see if you need any further updates.

I have a 60C and I find it loses satellite lock quite regularly, but I haven't exprienced your problem yet.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 22 August 08 1:51 pm

Mine has trouble after traveling a considerable distance while off. Try selecting "new location" and then automatic. Usually gets the satellites back within a minute.

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 22 August 08 4:06 pm

When you update, make sure you also update the chipset. This will be offered to you as an option. If updating the unit doesn't work, I'd consider it broken.

Everything's here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collecti ... 0-00422-00

MalanDi
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by MalanDi » 23 August 08 4:46 pm

I seem to have solved my own problem but not the cause. By going into menu I turned the satellites off and then turned them on again. Bingo.
However this needs to be done each time it is restarted.
Thanks for the replies.
Malcolm