New Garmin GPSr - Oregon "Touchscreen"

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

New Garmin GPSr - Oregon "Touchscreen"

Post by Facitman » 11 July 08 12:42 pm

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Re: New Garmin GPSr - Oregon "Touchscreen"

Post by delboy1203 » 11 July 08 1:27 pm

Facitman wrote:New Garmin release

Garmin's Touchscreen Oregon Series Gives Outdoor Enthusiasts the World at their Fingertips

A Colorado with a touchscreen? :)
Lots of pretty pics here: http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/oregon/

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 11 July 08 1:45 pm

delboy1203 wrote:
Facitman wrote:New Garmin release

Garmin's Touchscreen Oregon Series Gives Outdoor Enthusiasts the World at their Fingertips

A Colorado with a touchscreen? :)
Lots of pretty pics here: http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/oregon/
They just need to add a 3G Phone, Bluetooth and WiFi and it'd be the compleat geocaching device 8)

murf
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by murf » 11 July 08 1:48 pm

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do? ... 03&cID=145

Interestingly, they have added a "200" model to this range, which seems to be a cheaper option if you dont need the altimeter/compass. (60Cx vs 60Csx kinda thing)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 11 July 08 2:08 pm

I must admin a touch screen would be a more flexible interface than the wheel..., but I'm unlikely to buy another gps as mine is less than 1 year old..
perhaps later.. but this looks pretty good.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 11 July 08 5:34 pm

Does anyone know what type of antenna they are using, and where is it located? :? Makes a huge difference when purchasing for a specific use....

Also while we're at it, what type of plastic is used for the surround? Is it similiar to the (silver on the) Colorado or more like the sturdier 60 series? :wink:

mm

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 11 July 08 9:54 pm

rhinogeo wrote:They just need to add a 3G Phone, Bluetooth and WiFi and it'd be the compleat geocaching device 8)
Garmin's making one as I type. They announced it Q4 last year or Q1 this year. I think it had a release date of Q4 this year.

So who's going to buy a Oregon and give use a review?

Dooghan

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 16 July 08 9:35 pm

Map Monkey wrote:snip>>Does anyone know what type of antenna they are using, and where is it located? :? Makes a huge difference when purchasing for a specific use....
mm
Suspect it is located somewhere in the device probably near the top :) and same type as other current handhelp gps units...therefore will work at least as good as any other current handheld model (very good) I reckon.

Cheers
Greg

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 16 July 08 10:00 pm

You should know that the different antenna types function better in certain orientations. :P

If it is the patch type (i would assume this to be the case due to its size), then it may not be work as well held vertically, or attached to a backpack and/or clothing.

Conversely, try using a Garmin 60 series held horizontal, and watch the satellite strength deminish....one of the contradictions with the dynamic compass in the "S" versions.

I might just look at getting one to trial, to see if they are user-friendly and quick to set up.

mm

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 17 July 08 9:21 am

If anyone does review one, could you please forward the details to me to stick in the Geocache magazinethat I'm working on?<p>

Thanks!

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 17 July 08 12:20 pm

delboy1203 wrote:If anyone does review one, could you please forward the details to me to stick in the Geocache magazine that I'm working on?
And send something to Spindoc Bob for the Geotalk podcast.

totalube

Post by totalube » 17 July 08 6:06 pm

I like the look of this, I assume that it has some kind of lock on the touchscreen when placed in a pocket.

Can't wait till it is released.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Don't tempt me

Post by If » 17 July 08 6:48 pm

It certainly sounds like something to drool over :)
Waterproof, compass, altimeter and unlimited memory. I'm tempted :evil:
But a touchscreen :shock:
How on earth do they make that work effectively ? Will I have to remove my gloves half way up an icy mountain to use the thing ? :D
My olde GPS76cs is still going strong and has been thoroughly shock, saltwater,heat, cold and calling it names tested for 5226 hours of operation without missing a beat !!
So I'm not quite ready to shell out the moolah to upgrade yet :o
Maybe Garmin can make me an offer to switch ?
:D :D :D

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 19 July 08 9:05 pm

Map Monkey wrote:You should know that the different antenna types function better in certain orientations. :P

If it is the patch type (i would assume this to be the case due to its size), then it may not be work as well held vertically, or attached to a backpack and/or clothing.

Conversely, try using a Garmin 60 series held horizontal, and watch the satellite strength deminish....one of the contradictions with the dynamic compass in the "S" versions.

I might just look at getting one to trial, to see if they are user-friendly and quick to set up.

mm
There may well be some minor theoretical differences betwen different antenna types but given range of other variables affecting accuracy (and the big fact they should only be regarded as good for +/- 5ms anyway) I honestly doubt issue in question would be noticed by the aveage punter in 99.99999% of cases if ever at all...but I could be wrong. No idea what type of antenna are in the Mobile mapper, colorado and explorist units I have at moment but they all work to my requirements. Maybe Im not fussy enough:)

Cheers
Greg

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 20 August 08 4:42 pm

I had a quick play with one in Carto Graphics this afternoon. I quite liked the touch screen. The 'buttons" were located near the edge, so you can touch them with your thumb, and I could drap the map around with my thumb too. It is easier to operate with the non-holding hand though. I think it is better than the roller-wheel of the Colorado.
I like the size too. It is not much different to an eTrex (but with much funkier curves).