New Garmin GPSr - Oregon "Touchscreen"

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 22 February 09 7:43 pm

Team Wibble wrote:Is there any other alternative place to buy these things? No way am I paying that much for shipping!!!
Try their Australian affiliate : http://www.invisibleshield.com.au/

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 22 February 09 10:12 pm

When playing with the Wackys' oregon (also from Cartographics - Alex will ship anywhere) the screen is quite different, and feels like it has a built in protector - does it need another one? Are there special ones available or are you all using standard PDA/phone type ones?

Sam

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 22 February 09 10:48 pm

The feel is due to the touchscreen, and even though the screen is recessed into the unit, it still needs added protection IMO.

The invisibleshield ones seem very good at their protection, and is backed up with a pretty fierce lifetime guarantee. :P They feel better than other protectors i've had in the past (on the 60CS, etrex's etc), and they are shaped for a particular unit (though several cachers have mentioned that they aren't 100% perfect in their cut/shape)

I bought mine for AU$15 inclusive of overseas postage several months ago from the manufacturer in the States, rather than $24.95 +$2 p/h from the local supplier :shock: . However I would recommend buying them locally as any issues can be dealt with here without timezone issues (ringing the States after 1am several times was no fun). My isssue was to do with supplying the correct model (anyone own a suunto t4 watch that needs protection for free? :wink: ) and then the correct number of them. :roll: All up it took over 2 months to get the correct supplies. :cry:

The aussie importer's link to the Oregon is here ==> http://www.invisibleshield.com.au/gps/garmin/oregon.php

I received 25% discounts on future purchases straight after purchase, and even a 50% discount email recently, so there must be some fat in those aussie pricings. :wink:

mm

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 22 February 09 11:15 pm

I've had a few touch screen PDA's. I've learnt that the protector is well worth the money.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 23 February 09 12:53 pm

McPhan wrote:Maybe a look at this before updating to 2.7 or 2.8

http://www.gpsfix.net/?p=261

Not recommended
<P>Has anyone taken the plunge to 2.8 or 2.85 yet? I'd be interested to hear anyones experiences.

allrounder
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by allrounder » 23 February 09 4:19 pm

yep, i'm using 2.86, no problems that i can see

McPhan
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 23 February 09 5:19 pm

Ditto

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 23 February 09 6:24 pm

Thanks allrounder and Mcphan!

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 23 February 09 6:57 pm

big_matt wrote:Thanks allrounder and Mcphan!
Now to have a crack :wink:

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 27 February 09 5:48 pm

Oooops

Apparently there is a problem - not that I've noticed it.

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 06 March 09 6:25 pm

When I try to mark a waypoint I get a message saying that memory is full, before I can add any waypoints I have to delete one with waypoint manager, from what I can tell these waypoints are the children of the caches that I have loaded. I have plenty of room on my sd card (its 2gb and about half full with Maps and Caches) and I have not added anything to the internal memory, which is also only about half full. Can anyone tell me where in the memory these waypoints are store, and how I can get around this issue?? is it as simple as not down loading the children when making my GPX file in GSAK :?: :?:

roundcircle

Post by roundcircle » 06 March 09 7:06 pm

I have got into the habit of deleting all way points from time to time. As you have observed, there are child waypoints loaded up when you load up caches. These don't seem to be updated or deleted as the GPX file changes.
</p>
Setup -> Reset -> Delete All Waypoints.
</p>
That screen will also show how much memory is being used.
</p>
8)

Big Matt and Shell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 06 March 09 7:14 pm

roundcircle wrote:I have got into the habit of deleting all way points from time to time. As you have observed, there are child waypoints loaded up when you load up caches. These don't seem to be updated or deleted as the GPX file changes.
</p>
Setup -> Reset -> Delete All Waypoints.
</p>
That screen will also show how much memory is being used.
</p>
8)
I am doing the same, it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue if you are only loading the same area over and over but if you travel, you very quickly fill up the 1000 waypoint memory.

squalid
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by squalid » 07 March 09 3:12 pm

winglen wrote:Sorry to see that Super T scratched the Oregon and agree this must be disappointing. But this could happen to any unit - amazing how easily the glass screen on my eXplorist got scratched so easily. I've had the Oregon for weeks and have taken it to some seriously rough territory and the screen protecor has done fine.
The whole screen scratching thing is interesting - I am the same with a new piece of kit. The largest possible scratch seems to appear within the first week of purchase, and I'm nearly suicidal. I can still see the first scratch that appeared on the face of my 10-year old Citizen divers watch, but you know what? It doesn't matter now. It is covered in tiny scratches, still works like the day I bought it, and I can still see the face. The same is true for my etrex, n95 and now Colorado. The patina of scratches make them look like well used tools, and kind of adds to their coolness. The toughest little bugger of them all is the yellow etrex, although when the rubber stuff around the edges gets loose, it is not waterproof to 10m. Got wet doing Ozone, but after a rinse, dry, and a little resoldering, still goes well.

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 10 March 09 4:30 pm

A good site to visit for all Colorado and Oregon owners

http://www.gpsfix.net/?p=394