New Garmin GPSr - Oregon "Touchscreen"

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Hancock Clan
3500 or more caches found

Post by The Hancock Clan » 25 September 08 11:11 pm

big_matt wrote:I'm going to get in soooooo much trouble if this topic keeps talking about how good the Oregon is... :)

Our new toy arrived yesterday!!! The base map it comes with is very basic but we've stuck better maps on it with the contours overlay and so far it seems ace! (sorry Matt! :lol: )

McPhan
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 25 September 08 11:16 pm

And my entry from 13th September can be scratched.

It arrived today and 2 caches down tonight.

Next I have to try one where the co-ords are spot on :?

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 26 September 08 8:09 am

With accessories (card, carry case, cords) and postage, doing those 2 caches cost me around $350 a piece

The old etrex with 1450+ finds cost about $0.10 per cache (excluding petrol).

Now to work on getting that figure way, way down 8)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 26 September 08 1:14 pm

Mcphan, perhaps I should pop around to inspect this new device...

allrounder

Post by allrounder » 26 September 08 4:22 pm

seems there's quite a few in the ACT region!

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 26 September 08 6:45 pm

mtrax wrote:Mcphan, perhaps I should pop around to inspect this new device...
Paraphrasing a famous speech, "I'll give you my gps when you take it from my cold, dead hands."

But call over when I've had the kids do the dishes and you can have a look.

Super-T

Post by Super-T » 28 September 08 11:25 pm

I have owned one for about 4 days. I love the unit itself, but I am not actually very happy with it for Geocaching.<br>
I asked Johnny Appleseed sales, specifically about the toughness of the unit versus the Colorado which was my other choice, as I doubted a touch screen could possibly be tough enough for outdoor use, and got told it was every bit as tough as the Colorado.<br>
One of these days I'll learn NOT to listen to so called "experts" and instead listen to my own gut instinct. This is NOT even a remotely "robust" or "tough" unit that the advertising will have you believe.
<p>
<p>
Had it just 4 days and already has 3 very substantial scratches on the screen due to a single wayward branch - though actually "twig" would be a more accurate description, it sure didn't take much to do the damage.
And that was just while scouting for a cache around a likely tree with it hanging from the supplied carabiner and the whole lot covered by my shirt. I would hate to see what would happen with some searching amongst more serious foliage or terrain.
<p>
<p>
Yes, I could have put it in some sort of protective casing, but then it would be even harder to see in sunlight. It's OK, but not great in sunlight, so a case was mistakenly ruled out as an option. Now I'll have no choice but to get one before ever using it outdoors again, or it's likely to have a very limited life. I am very disappointed that they can describe this unit as "tough" and "robust"
<p>
<p>
I personally would only recommend this unit for driveby caching. If you actually get out and start searching - or even worse, do caches that require some hard searching - then steer clear of it. I doubt it's up to serious hiking or the like from having come off so badly from a very minor brush with a very small branch.
<p>
<p>
Having said that:
As for the unit itself, I do like the features and the unit itself. It's a great GPSr if you don't intend to do anything rough with it, it's a beauty. Nice to use, seems very accurate, gives INCREDIBLE reception. Works through the house, even in my local supermarket.
However, I do find the lack of buttons a pain. Buttons aren't actually a bad thing, I feel they threw the baby out with the bathwater. My previous GPSr was the Garmin Vista, lots of buttons that allowed fast and easy access to the most common features with one hand, without looking, and with consumate ease. Things like quickly ducking between the map and the compass - something that is handy to do while caching - should require a lot fewer screen actions in my opinion. Personally I would think that a left click and right click button on each side of the unit could have given SOOO much greater flexibility and massively simplified the navigation.
<p>
<p>
As an example, clearing the current data from dashboard (max speed, distance, etc). Required EIGHT screen presses to get out of the dashboard, go to setup, go to reset, go to those details, select yes, then exit that menu, then reselect the dashboard again.
<p>
<p>
Great unit, great features, but not very good without some serious protection, and requires a lot of menu navigation to accomplish anything.

Super-T

Post by Super-T » 29 September 08 12:07 am

McPhan wrote:With accessories (card, carry case, cords) and postage, doing those 2 caches cost me around $350 a piece

The old etrex with 1450+ finds cost about $0.10 per cache (excluding petrol).

Now to work on getting that figure way, way down 8)

Well without the carry case, but with maps, postage, windscreen mount, and power cable, mine was over $800, so the 4 caches that it has done have cost me over $200 per cache.
And likewise, I'll be working to get that down. But I have to first INCREASE it a little with some sort of case to carry it in after having a dry old stick on a tree decide to gouge some nice scratches across the screen.

allrounder

Post by allrounder » 29 September 08 1:01 pm

i've got an InvisibleShield screen protector on mine...visibility is fine...i have no problem with it in direct sunlight as i'm used to the poor visibility with a Palm Zire 22...

you can customise the menu to minimise screen changes...

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 29 September 08 4:14 pm

Super-T wrote:I personally would only recommend this unit for driveby caching. If you actually get out and start searching - or even worse, do caches that require some hard searching - then steer clear of it. I doubt it's up to serious hiking or the like from having come off so badly from a very minor brush with a very small branch.
Having just spent a solid week in some thick remote bush up Far North Queensland, using it continuosly everyday (went through 3 sets of lithiums :P ), and having taken numerous other units into the bush at the same time, i would say that this unit is quite up to the task, albeit with the standard care required of any GPS in this environment. :P

I've ended up with a similiar scratch on my JasJam (PDA style phone) and my 60CS shortly after purchasing, caused by similiar "non-descript" twigs brushing the screen. :cry: Yes, the Oregon could be considered prone to scratches, however no more than a similiar sized PDA.

The screen is at least recessed into the unit, and Garmin has reverted back to a harder form of plastic than the Colorados etc. :roll:

They don't make screen protectors for all devices these days for no reason. :P

The lack of buttons is a godsend, with less incorrect buttons pushed when used by inexperienced operators......."most" features on the Oregon are pretty much self-explanatory (except a couple little tricks with recording and saving tracks etc). Changing mapsets etc is a breeze with the Oregon compared to other Garmin handhelds, with the selection accurate and quick, whereas the etrex's are much slower and require more concentration due to the smaller menu systems.

Left and right click buttons kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a touchscreen only version IMO. :P

BTW, if anyone misses the Waypoint Averaging feature from previous Units, there is a WhereIgo cartridge that has been developed specifically with these features....see here to download it ==> Build your own GPSr

mm

allrounder

Post by allrounder » 29 September 08 4:28 pm

Map Monkey wrote:BTW, if anyone misses the Waypoint Averaging feature from previous Units, there is a WhereIgo cartridge that has been developed specifically with these features....see here to download it ==> Build your own GPSr
mm
thanks for pointing that out MM...

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 29 September 08 5:01 pm

allrounder wrote:i've got an InvisibleShield screen protector on mine...visibility is fine...i have no problem with it in direct sunlight as i'm used to the poor visibility with a Palm Zire 22...

you can customise the menu to minimise screen changes...
where do you get these InvisibleShield ?

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 29 September 08 7:11 pm

If you happen to be passing by drop in. I'll gladly show you my baby.

And the shields I got.

allrounder

Post by allrounder » 30 September 08 12:04 am

winglen

Post by winglen » 01 October 08 10:23 pm

Sorry to see that Super T scratched the Oregon and agree this must be disappointing. But this could happen to any unit - amazing how easily the glass screen on my eXplorist got scratched so easily. I've had the Oregon for weeks and have taken it to some seriously rough territory and the screen protecor has done fine.

And frankly, I think the navigation is fine. But I suppose this depends on the screens you use. By programming the menus, to swap from geocaching maps to select the next cache, automotive to drive there, geocaching map then compass for the last 100m, it's usually only two presses and you're there. Never use the dashboard - seems useless to me, given you can program the fields you want displayed on the map and compass etc.

Perhaps I'm still in the honeymoon period withy the new toy, but I find very little criticise. The mapping capability, touchscreen and accuracy are all excellent.