Garmin etrex legend to lapyop probs

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
zimmerlieman

Garmin etrex legend to lapyop probs

Post by zimmerlieman » 06 July 08 10:59 pm

I recently purchased a garmin etrex legend, but the supplied cable would not connect to my laptop, and purchasing an adaptor did not work, as laptop will not accept drivers for it, any ideas

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 07 July 08 9:25 am

Welcome aboard zimmerlieman, :P

What brand laptop, and what operating system are we talking about? What brand USB to Serial adapter is it, as some may/maynot work without updated drivers and/or may require a specific order of plugging them in.

mm

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 07 July 08 1:52 pm

I got a DSE usb to serial and found it would not work with updated drivers that vi$ta downloaded but did work with the old drivers included on the supplied disc. Window$ :roll:

I had to uninstal the new drivers and the device from device manager BEFORE reinstaling from the disc.

The drivers vi$ta downloaded just crashed it to the BSOD every time the device was pluged in.

My next item plan GSAK, WINE and tty0

zimmerlieman

Cant connect etrex legend to laptop

Post by zimmerlieman » 07 July 08 9:04 pm

Hi all, I am using a HP pavillion dv 9000, running vista ultimate, the adaptor, is a Belkinf5u 109, usb to serial, appreciate the quick responce to my first post. :D

The Swaggies
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Cant connect etrex legend to laptop

Post by The Swaggies » 10 July 08 2:37 pm

I had this problem too with my Etrex legend. The only fix I found was to sell the Etrex and buy a 60 series. Therefore hunt around for the cheapest 60 series that matches your budget and comes with a USB and then your problems are solved!

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 10 July 08 3:37 pm

I use a Belkin usb/serial adaptor with both XP and Vista.

XP and Vista both complained that the driver wasn't properly signed or approved for the os but it all worked.

Of course, I had to find out which COM port that it is talking on.

Research the internet for your cable and software....